A Cock and Turnbull Story

What markets are cheaper? The baltics? The Nordics?

Yes both of those areas. Africa, the US also the other European leagues who aren’t cashing in with massive TV deals. If we won’t pay what these guys can get in their own countries what’s the point even looking at them?

Time spent that is going nowhere. I don’t understand that. It’s like joining a queue to buy a Rolex watch and your budget is a Timex. Why the fuck would anybody do that other than to have people thinking you could afford a Rolex?

Norwich will win nothing their strategy is a business to stay in the EPL for chairman to cream off SKY and sponsors Gold. Mercenaries are attracted like flies to shite and like shite will outstay their welcome when all nutrients have been extracted.
The mercenaries will return with bags of gold and but fuck all honours to show for their career in the game. Thats the modern greedy footballer, no feelings towards supporters or club, a two way agreement between a company and employee, both out to screw as much money out the paying public.
We move on and we remain a club in the true sense of the meaning, a club with ambition,history and honours and a club that still views football as its main priority and still gives that feeling to its fans. Celtic move onto another chapter and with it comes new challenges, we leave behind any dead wood and forage forward prepared and ready to meet what comes our way. Celtic a real football club and team to be proud of.
https://www.footballhistory.org/club/norwich.html

Last edited:
We need to look at markets whose wages are less than ours. At players who see us for what we are, a stepping stone to big money Inn a better league. That attraction requires us to be in the CL. Getting in there means we need to buy quality, we can’t affird the quality if they have options to move to England. Everytime I see a player we are linked with being also looked at by an English club I know it’s over. A pisser but just a matter of fact.
Its definitely getting harder. The tip teams are also scouting the world and can afford to sign up a couple of dozen youngsters with potential and then loan them out - they only need 1 or 2 to make it to the big time for them to make money!

I'd hope we are looking at Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, USA, etc to try to find someone that has not been snapped up yet.

I thought the Killie defender Stephen O'Donnell is worth a shout. But he'll now be expecting more than £12K/week basic after hearing what Turnbull was offered! Also a couple of decent players at Rosenberg that could do a job for us as well. We do need bodies in NOW though of a good standard as we are one injury away from playing Hendry and Ralston in these important qualifiers.

Even if we start buying players in the next couple of days they will be strangers to the rest of the team by the time we play these matches.

Its no secret what i think of the last 3 windows. Football’s money men have made the imbalance far more stark in the last decade that it sometimes feels impossible to compete.

All the scouts at all the clubs are jumping on every hot new prospect and have been stockpiling then loaning out.

Its pish, hopefully with the new squad caps coming in these teams can’t have it all their own way.

Yes both of those areas. Africa, the US also the other European leagues who aren’t cashing in with massive TV deals. If we won’t pay what these guys can get in their own countries what’s the point even looking at them?

Time spent that is going nowhere. I don’t understand that. It’s like joining a queue to buy a Rolex watch and your budget is a Timex. Why the fuck would anybody do that other than to have people thinking you could afford a Rolex?

Norwich might discover Celtic was been used as a vehicle to flog a fake rolex. Best place to sell a fake if you can pull it off is in a jewellers market.

Its definitely getting harder. The tip teams are also scouting the world and can afford to sign up a couple of dozen youngsters with potential and then loan them out - they only need 1 or 2 to make it to the big time for them to make money!

I'd hope we are looking at Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, USA, etc to try to find someone that has not been snapped up yet.

I thought the Killie defender Stephen O'Donnell is worth a shout. But he'll now be expecting more than £12K/week basic after hearing what Turnbull was offered! Also a couple of decent players at Rosenberg that could do a job for us as well. We do need bodies in NOW though of a good standard as we are one injury away from playing Hendry and Ralston in these important qualifiers.

Even if we start buying players in the next couple of days they will be strangers to the rest of the team by the time we play these matches.
Watch the Romania U21s, they are scoring and playing for fun.

African markets are all sewn up ,players start from the age of 7-8 yrs old and have to sign up to football academys who then own the players registration (same as an s-form here ) in order to play in leagues ,but the difference being their academys use the players for horse trading with other academies

So when the big clubs come calling there are sometimes more than 2 academys claiming ownership and want paid , some players can have more than 3 academy agents all wanting more money than the first

Ajax , Inter,AC Milan ,Juve and Chelsea all invested in these markets in the early 90s and still run yearly academy competitions over the course of a month and whittle it down to the best of the crop

Sign them up and develop them if they fail at these clubs then they still have a resale value due to them being brought through there system

Man city ,PSG have went the same way but have concentrated on the european markets ,and bought up feeder clubs to get round the rules

Celtic should look to the Nordic /Balkan countrys the climates the same and it's a market that hasn't fully been tap'd

Norwich might discover Celtic was been used as a vehicle to flog a fake rolex. Best place to sell a fake if you can pull it off is in a jewellers market.

I bet you a pint he establishes himself and moves after two seasons for big money. He doesn’t become a bad buy because he knocked us back.

Nope, sorry FB, but there is not even an alternative universe where Celtic can be held to ransom by individual players and their representatives.

This is one of the areas that oft gets overlooked when we are in the market for players. We can often afford the transfer fees, but the emoluments are way out of our league and would eventually cripple the club.

Perhaps it is an inconvenient truth, but that is the world we operate in. I don't know the solution, but Celtic still have a part to play in being a springboard for young talent and if that talent choose to go straight for the big bucks, then financial prudence and good housekeeping have to take precedence.

Of all the things you can level at the board, the expectations of prospective signings and their representatives is a feature out with their control.

It's a problem that the club have to solve, but I admire their stance on this one. If it means we have to make do, then that's what we have to do.

If that other motley crew want to piss more of their bad money in the hope that it pays off, then that's on them, but they'll also have to learn to their cost, that for every VVD, there are two Kouassi's and a couple of any other dud you care to mention.

It may or may not prove costly in the short-term, but I guarantee you'll have a club to support in 10-years. By that time we'll be on Hunbot v4.0 and they'll still be firing more blanks than John Wayne.
spot on(y)

African markets are all sewn up ,players start from the age of 7-8 yrs old and have to sign up to football academys who then own the players registration (same as an s-form here ) in order to play in leagues ,but the difference being their academys use the players for horse trading with other academies

So when the big clubs come calling there are sometimes more than 2 academys claiming ownership and want paid , some players can have more than 3 academy agents all wanting more money than the first

Ajax , Inter,AC Milan ,Juve and Chelsea all invested in these markets in the early 90s and still run yearly academy competitions over the course of a month and whittle it down to the best of the crop

Sign them up and develop them if they fail at these clubs then they still have a resale value due to them being brought through there system

Man city ,PSG have went the same way but have concentrated on the european markets ,and bought up feeder clubs to get round the rules

Celtic should look to the Nordic /Balkan countrys the climates the same and it's a market that hasn't fully been tap'd

Wherever we look it can’t be England. The Nordic countries have been a good place for us in the past. It’s becomibg evident our days of marquee signings died a while ago. We can’t conpete.

It's not that I think we should be held to ransom - I state in my post that we should not break our wage structure for this player - it's that whether we take a stand or not is irrelevant; we are going to find it harder again to recruit as a result of the Turnbull matter. If we are content just to let the face of football change around us without reacting, then fine, but you may find that in 10 years we're remembering the good old days when we used to be able to sign second tier Scottish prospects and our stadium still had the top tier open. And if that seems too pessimistic, consider whether we could bring in the players of 20 years ago or even 10 years ago now. The time to act is now, not when it is already too late.

This is precisely what I mean by football becoming more and more about greed and a money-making endeavour than something played for sporting glory. It sounds like an obvious point to make, but as you say yourself - it changes the entire dynamic whether clubs like ours like it or not. The reality is that CalMac, KT, Rogic, Christie et al almost certainly could be on bigger money at much lesser clubs. That's the reality of football these days. Luckily for us, they want to be playing for a club that wins trophies and competes in Europe. They want to be playing in front of 60,000 fans every other week. But the sheer volumes of money that now dominate money have a knock on effect whether we like it or not.

Great post Kelly? Its what i thought, not your knowledge on the African set-up. I didn’t know that but think the nordic/baltic and Croat markets can be a possibility.

I do t believe in Karma or evil bastards would be getting struck by lightning every day. They aren’t. Hitter, biggest mass murderer evades justice. Was Karma taking a day off?

No he was just sneaky with all his clones, karma got there. It just took a while.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/foot...-times-what-he-earned-at-motherwell-1-4949837

Greedy little fucker. 12 grand a week he would've been on. To play for the greatest club in the world. Fine, I'm sure he'll love Norwich. I think Spherical Planet made the point that these clubs, outside of the money and the glamour, are not any bigger than Hearts-Hibs-Aberdeen. Anyway, back to work. For much less than 12 grand a week.

No he was just sneaky with all his clones, karma got there. It just took a while.

Men fighting him caused him to top himself. Not some woo woo creature sitting dishing out justice. 70 million people died. Again, what kept this sexy Karma waiting 12 years before sorting the cunt out? People did. Real, living breathing shooting fighting brave people. If they hadn’t we would be writing in German right now. If we were here at all.

It's not that I think we should be held to ransom - I state in my post that we should not break our wage structure for this player - it's that whether we take a stand or not is irrelevant; we are going to find it harder again to recruit as a result of the Turnbull matter. If we are content just to let the face of football change around us without reacting, then fine, but you may find that in 10 years we're remembering the good old days when we used to be able to sign second tier Scottish prospects and our stadium still had the top tier open. And if that seems too pessimistic, consider whether we could bring in the players of 20 years ago or even 10 years ago now. The time to act is now, not when it is already too late.
So what is the alternative?

Do you suggest bankrolling wages that can't be justified by current revenue streams?

Only two clubs in Scotland pay wages comparable to even lower half of the English Championship clubs. You're living in dreamland if you think that Celtic will ever be in the market for the quality of player we were looking at during the MON era. That ship has long since set sail and until there is a structural change throughout Europe, then Celtic just can't compete with the wages currently on offer at approximately 30-35 clubs in England.

We have to face the simple and undeniable fact, that if we don't invest in, cultivate and nurture our own talent, then we just become a subsidiser of other Scottish clubs and an easy pay-day for players only motivated by money.

Football has changed/is changing/will change further. The responsibility of the club's financial department, is to ensure that the infrastructure and facilities are in place when the next evolution in football occurs.

If we chase moonbeams and unicorns, then that infrastructure will rot and decay and any prospects for the future rot and decay with it.

You cut your cloth accordingly and on the balance of probability, not possibility.

Pragmatism is the only way to survive in this financial environment, as mentioned previously - if Celtic ever have to depend on paying over-the-top wages on untried, untested and unproven talent from the Scottish provincial clubs, then the ball is all but burst anyway!

Men fighting him caused him to top himself. Not some woo woo creature sitting dishing out justice. 70 million people died. Again, what kept this sexy Karma waiting 12 years before sorting the cunt out? People did. Real, living breathing shooting fighting brave people. If they hadn’t we would be writing in German right now. If we were here at all.

Those men delivered karma then? You have your opinion, i have mine ?

Members online

Latest posts

Back