A sensible perspective?

TTQtKK⚠️

I like this article from Paddy Sinat at Vital Celtic. Whilst like all Celtic fans I am absolutely delighted with the job Ange has done. I must admit that the ‘In (insert name) we trust’ mantra has always made me uncomfortable, like the person named is above reproach. Thoughts?

I think its pretty much whats going on at the time, lets be honest, if next season starts badly, gets steadily worse and ends in disaster, most will be calling for change.
Its the nature of the beast.
Ange has been tremendous, he deserves no criticism, but he’ll get it if required, of that I have no doubt.
The only caveat being some are more tolerant than others when standards drop.

The boos that rang round Hampden at Halftime of the Ukraine game, should've been a warning tae Clarke's ears, he's got 100% backing at the moment, his failure of not improving game on game will cost him his job in the long run, like most football fans, the TA are very fickle if they don't see progress, they'll turn quickly against Clark, on the TA forums, there's quite a few beginning to doubt the in " Clarke We Trust" mantra. Failure is not an option.

With Ange it's different he knows what's expected of him in his 2nd season win the league & an improvement in European competition, he'll probably get longer than Clarke's has, but the mantra is the same.

Personally I don't think these games should be getting played, after a long hard season for many of the squad. Now they need to play an extra 3 games spread over 14 days, so UEFA can boost it profits.

Then in 2023 we have another 6 games for Qualification to Euros in Germany 2024. I can see players in the future making the choice not too play for their country.

I enjoy following my national team, even I'm getting sick of the money grabbing, tickets used to range between £20-50 avrg £25,now they're averaging £35 a game, robbing bastards 😡🤬😡

Personally I don't think these games should be getting played, after a long hard season for many of the squad. Now they need to play an extra 3 games spread over 14 days, so UEFA can boost it profits.

Then in 2023 we have another 6 games for Qualification to Euros in Germany 2024. I can see players in the future making the choice not too play for their country.

I enjoy following my national team, even I'm getting sick of the money grabbing, tickets used to range between £20-50 avrg £25,now they're averaging £35 a game, robbing bastards 😡🤬😡
If I was a pro player in todays game, I think I would have to give serious thought to whether I represented my country or not, you play all year round and often expected to fly to the other side of the world for meaningless friendlies. I would want to extend my club playing years as best I could.

The question is though….who the feck cud replace Clarke?
Im not suggesting he’s irreplaceable, just suggesting the options are basically shite.
There are plenty of managers who could be hired. All this nonsense " but who could we replace him with" then in the MSM it's always the same shitty names they link with the job.
There must be hundreds of managers out of work at any one time & dozens of top managers. Just now you have managers like Zidane, nuno Santos, Laurent Blanc,Benitez, Paulo Fonseca, Sean Dyche.
I think people are forgetting Clarke was the Kilmarnock manager & was managing at that level for a reason. Hardly a top manager

There are plenty of managers who could be hired. All this nonsense " but who could we replace him with" then in the MSM it's always the same shitty names they link with the job.
There must be hundreds of managers out of work at any one time & dozens of top managers. Just now you have managers like Zidane, nuno Santos, Laurent Blanc,Benitez, Paulo Fonseca, Sean Dyche.
I think people are forgetting Clarke was the Kilmarnock manager & was managing at that level for a reason. Hardly a top manager
The prick was assistant to mouriniho for years at Chelsea also assistant at Liverpool.
There was a lot of chatter about him becoming our manager at one time. Bullet dodged I think. Killie is his level.

There's a few metric tons of speculation in the hypotheticals in this article, some of them a real stretch. But let's put that aside. You really can't compare Steve Clarke and Ange Postecoglou -- the latter is head and shoulders above the former in coaching and organizational skill, as played out this past season.

Is Ange perfect? No. Is Lawwell Jr.? No. I don't see the "hero worship" aspect of this, and this maybe has to do with our differences in culture. As long as Ange and the management staff keep Celtic atop the league and can get competitive elsewhere (though, truth be told, I really don't give a shit about Europe), then they're doing their job, as we expect them to. As we rightfully demand of them. And when they do it as admirably as Postecoglou and staff has done this year, then they deserve every accolade they get.

Are they above criticism? No. Have they earned any? Not yet.

Barring some disaster or disasters, there's no reason we can't win two in a row or the treble next season. The club's on remarkably solid footing. And we're not drinking out of toilets. Instead of bringing up gloom and doom, we should be focusing on the positives, which are in abundance with little evidence of that letting up.

@lcafiero i asked for thoughts and you did not disappoint. Always enjoy your posts and keep up with your blog when I can. More power to your digital pen!
Whilst you correctly point out they haven’t earned any criticism, I’m more focused on a seeming determination (of I think a minority of our fans) to criticise anyone who merely says let’s be on our guard. Which is why I’m uncomfortable with the some of the sycophancy.
Europe is hugely important for me, and the lack of progress is something to be questioned for sure.

There's a few metric tons of speculation in the hypotheticals in this article, some of them a real stretch. But let's put that aside. You really can't compare Steve Clarke and Ange Postecoglou -- the latter is head and shoulders above the former in coaching and organizational skill, as played out this past season.

Is Ange perfect? No. Is Lawwell Jr.? No. I don't see the "hero worship" aspect of this, and this maybe has to do with our differences in culture. As long as Ange and the management staff keep Celtic atop the league and can get competitive elsewhere (though, truth be told, I really don't give a shit about Europe), then they're doing their job, as we expect them to. As we rightfully demand of them. And when they do it as admirably as Postecoglou and staff has done this year, then they deserve every accolade they get.

Are they above criticism? No. Have they earned any? Not yet.

Barring some disaster or disasters, there's no reason we can't win two in a row or the treble next season. The club's on remarkably solid footing. And we're not drinking out of toilets. Instead of bringing up gloom and doom, we should be focusing on the positives, which are in abundance with little evidence of that letting up.
I actually do think that you can make comparisons Larry between Ange and Clark in there style of management.
Ange knows how he wants his team to play and actually goes out to get them players, and we've already seen the amazing results and stands to get even better with more time to actually identify the players he wants to actually make us even stronger.
Clark however has been gifted with the strongest group of players for many a long year.
Yet he still wants to play so many of his players out of a position where they play at club level, and with managers with a far better pedigree than Clark will ever have.
In a game now where tactical awareness is huge within a game that can be settled by fine margins, then Clark is still found wanting even if you expect an international player to be more adapt in terms of tactical awareness.
Ange really faces such a challenge within the CL next season, and remains unknown still how he will set the team up when playing against a much better quality of opposition than we are use to, and how we will stand up to the challenge as such.
At least we know that Ange should have a team properly prepared for such a challenge unlike Clark who continues to play guessing games and hoping to strike lucky imo.

I actually do think that you can make comparisons Larry between Ange and Clark in there style of management.
Ange knows how he wants his team to play and actually goes out to get them players, and we've already seen the amazing results and stands to get even better with more time to actually identify the players he wants to actually make us even stronger.
Clark however has been gifted with the strongest group of players for many a long year.
Yet he still wants to play so many of his players out of a position where they play at club level, and with managers with a far better pedigree than Clark will ever have.
In a game now where tactical awareness is huge within a game that can be settled by fine margins, then Clark is still found wanting even if you expect an international player to be more adapt in terms of tactical awareness.
Ange really faces such a challenge within the CL next season, and remains unknown still how he will set the team up when playing against a much better quality of opposition than we are use to, and how we will stand up to the challenge as such.
At least we know that Ange should have a team properly prepared for such a challenge unlike Clark who continues to play guessing games and hoping to strike lucky imo.
Genuinely annoying to watch managers play players out of position John. It’s like they create two problems when they only had one to solve 🤷‍♂️
There are exceptions, but not many

Genuinely annoying to watch managers play players out of position John. It’s like they create two problems when they only had one to solve 🤷‍♂️
There are exceptions, but not many
I think in clarks case he is just trying to think he's to clever, but certainly isn't working for him and what I've seen of the Scotland team of late, and Stephen Kenny with Ireland has tried the same approach also without to much success either, but at least changed things slightly and the results have improved also.
Ange so far has stuck to his guns on formation and with at least 2 players for every position with still a fair bit of players been able to adapt in different positions also.
A manager knowing what he wants will breed confidence within a squad prepared to do there roles for the team, compared to a guessing game manager which destroys confidence and gets a team playing with just the same confusion the manager is showing imo.

Members online

Latest posts

Back