Away goals to be scrapped

This is a great move and will lead to more attacking football. Teams at home have been afraid to concede a goal and defence predominates because of fear. It also disadvantages the home team in the second leg if it goes to extra time. If we win 4-3 at home and lose 1-0 away then we will have extra time and penalties. In the past we would have lost the tie. Home teams have to adapt to this significant rule change and become more attack minded.
How many times have we lost an early goal at Celtic Park to a European team and our heads went down. Now it will be as crucial. We can even lose two goals at home but we just have to score more goals than them over two legs.

This is a great move and will lead to more attacking football. Teams at home have been afraid to concede a goal and defence predominates because of fear. It also disadvantages the home team in the second leg if it goes to extra time. If we win 4-3 at home and lose 1-0 away then we will have extra time and penalties. In the past we would have lost the tie. Home teams have to adapt to this significant rule change and become more attack minded.
How many times have we lost an early goal at Celtic Park to a European team and our heads went down. Now it will be as crucial. We can even lose two goals at home but we just have to score more goals than them over two legs.
Disagree fis
Believe it will create more defensive minded football.
The away goal was bought in to get the away team to come out and play instead of just shutting up shop.
Now a first leg 0-0 is looked upon as a good result for the away team with home advantage for the 2nd leg.
Only changed to bring in more revenue with tighter games imo.
Why change something that isn't broken, and teams deserved to be rewarded better if they are prepared to go away in Europe and play attacking football

With the new system you only qualify by scoring more goals than the opposition both home and away. With the old system you could go through by scoring the same number of goals. New system sounds better than the old one. Scoring more than you concede sounds like a recipe for attacking football but you could be right.

With the new system you only qualify by scoring more goals than the opposition both home and away. With the old system you could go through by scoring the same number of goals. New system sounds better than the old one. Scoring more than you concede sounds like a recipe for attacking football but you could be right.
On paper that sounds good and a fairer way to qualify alright.
Just believe in reality, the luck of the draw with having home advantage in the 2nd leg gives you a far better control over how the tie could play out.
What next, are the seeded teams going to be handed home advantage for the 2nd leg in future?

Why don't they stop VAR scrapping perfectly good goals cos someone's elbow, fingers, hair, is 'offside'. In fact, scrap VAR.
Dont have to many issues with the way VAR has been used during the euros so far, yet improvements could be made.
I think you only need one line and if nothing is clear to show offside then advantage should be rewarded.
Common sense has to be bought into play more so as we are still getting ridiculous penalties awarded.
This calling the ref over to the monitor is just been used for the ref to change his original decision in many ways, and it would be nice to actually see some of them actually stick with there original decision as in fairness they get more right than wrong, except in Scotland

The Masons in Black who infest Scottish football are not interested in impartial judgements. I'm old enough to have seen a referee turn up at Celtic Park on a Glasgow derby day wearing a Rangers scarf. I could hardly believe what my eyes told me. I forget his name.

The Masons in Black who infest Scottish football are not interested in impartial judgements. I'm old enough to have seen a referee turn up at Celtic Park on a Glasgow derby day wearing a Rangers scarf. I could hardly believe what my eyes told me. I forget his name.
There was a Dundonian referee doing the circuit during the 70's & 80's called Bob Valentine.

Can't profess to know the fella, but he did do some after-dinner speaking at the local sporting clubs.

He would regale you with tales about the 'them and us' scenario and also confirmed that it was common practice for the 'traditional officials' to wear a symbol of their masonic pledge when refereeing a game at Celtic Park. The most common one was a handkerchief embroidered with their insignia, but it wouldn't surprise me if one ever turned up in full r*****s kit, complete with scarf, sash, suspenders and bowler hat one day.

As far as away goals go, I'd be happy to see them done away with. I don't think they serve any practical purpose and basically let teams win on a technicality.

What next, are the seeded teams going to be handed home advantage for the 2nd leg in future
Is this not the current setup anyway ? Higher seeded clubs get the 1st leg away from home, hasnt this been the case for years ? I'm for it was never a fan of the away goals rule going way back to the partizan belgrade game

Back