Brendan Rodgers - " smarter than the average bear"

Humf

What can I say? Well done Brendan (and your back ground team). There was a bit during this season that I thought we might have blown it, but I’ll take the league every season and hopefully the double, especially if it includes the league.

We didn’t play well at times but the end result justifies everything. Who knows, if Big Ange had stayed, it’s possible we might have won nothing – we will never know. But you are our current manager, not everyone’s favourite when it was announced, but it was brave to come back and you did! You’re my cup of tea and definitely smarter than the average bear.

I’m glad there’s a new format to the Champion’s League next season and I’m looking forward to it! We’ve got a few months to get a settled team.

Well done and bring on season 24 – 25.

And one last thing, I can say this now, the 3-3 game at Castlegreyskull? At the time, it felt like three points dropped to me, but it didn’t matter!

Yes Rodgers has done an incredible job this season, his most difficult , in his own words.
Injuries galore lack of investment you name it he faced it.
He faced it head on though and his status as a manager really shone through.
His mind games, no Daizen, possibly Daizen, daizen is fit, and the " we'll have some fun " was top manager at work stuff.
As was his compliments on Beaton as a referee. Top manager at work without his squad to choose from.
Rodgers promised us the title on the steps and that promise is all but fulfilled.
Rodgers deserves the praise he's getting, how many different starting xi's did we field this season? Remarkable stuff, yes we lost the league cup , more down to lack of options really and how off it we were back then but he can still deliver the double though tbh after a season like this one, I'll be more than happy with the title, but want the double , really want the double and so will Rodgers and the bhoys.
COYBIG gives us more at the double,
The club that keeps on giving HH

I was never a fan of BR coming back to the club. Not because he's a bad manager but I felt it was a step backwards and we had grown weary of the tippy tappy, boring style of play. I still believe he will only stay until another job offer presents itself.

However, he deserves kudos for getting us over the line amid injury issues and lack of decent investment and should be supported by the Board now to buy the level of players we need.

I was never a fan of BR coming back to the club. Not because he's a bad manager but I felt it was a step backwards and we had grown weary of the tippy tappy, boring style of play. I still believe he will only stay until another job offer presents itself.

However, he deserves kudos for getting us over the line amid injury issues and lack of decent investment and should be supported by the Board now to buy the level of players we need.
Rodgers coming back to Celtic, many thought he was mad, made a brave decision to take the job when he couldve made loadsa money in Saudi.
He came back to right a wrong with the supporters , some will say he came back because there was nothing else on offer I don't believe that.
Delivering victories over that mob I think he's got to be the most successful Celtic manager certainly in my lifetime to have the record he has against them.
17 derbies 13 victories 3 draws 1 defeat.
That's incredible it really is ,I haven't checked other stats but that's got to be hard to beat.
I agree about the ending of his first tenure, we were tiki taka'd to death.
That doesn't seem to be his approach this time round and wasn't at the start first time round.
Would be great to see a complete Rodgers side but I doubt any Celtic manager will have the opportunity to completely clear out and rebuild like Ange did.

Also a wee bit of getting even with the media, especially with his comment, you treated me like a novice.
Listening to that took me back to Ange and his similar pressers, he said in one practically the same thing. " have you heard of hearts?" , " yeah I'm not from the moon I'm from Australia coming from japan" , brilliant retort and both Celtic managers know how to handle the hacks here no problem.
The SMSM take great pleasure in providing negativity , we've been lucky to have two exceptional managers on the bounce. We could sign Ancelotti tomorrow and SMSM would be negative about the appointment.
Makes it all the sweeter when these guys deliver though.

Once we get that point needed I will be celebrating. I think we all had out doubts through this very turbulent season. I certainly did which is really not like me at all. Looking back in hensight, so many fans never wanted him to return (I actually did - as he was the best candidate) and when results didn't go our way they quickly turned. I was mentally soft at the time to listen to this noise.

This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch - it's been tight, nervous and hard fought. But when you win these - it's completely worth it.

I think the big turning point in the season was when Brendan stopped staying publically that he "needed more quality". He actually started to back the players which instilled confidence helped by the better players returning from injury.

Once we get that point needed I will be celebrating. I think we all had out doubts through this very turbulent season. I certainly did which is really not like me at all. Looking back in hensight, so many fans never wanted him to return (I actually did - as he was the best candidate) and when results didn't go our way they quickly turned. I was mentally soft at the time to listen to this noise.

This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch - it's been tight, nervous and hard fought. But when you win these - it's completely worth it.

I think the big turning point in the season was when Brendan stopped staying publically that he "needed more quality". He actually started to back the players which instilled confidence helped by the better players returning from injury.
To me Brendan still has to prove himself on the big stage. That is in Europe. He's still behind Jock, MON, wee GS and maybe even NL. We really should have won this SPFL at a canter, but made hard work of it. Much like the game on Saturday and the previous at Ipox.
The board really need to back him in terms of money though. I'm getting fed up of being any groups whipping bhoys.
Not saying actually winning a trophy, but even 'they' got to a final recently.

Like all Celtic managers, proving themselves in europe is where you will be ranked.

The question is how do we improve on the european front?
1. Keeping our better players for longer (eg the Matt O'Riley's of this world) or selling them when their value is sky high (as in Matt O'Riley).
2. Investing in fewer better quality (hopefully) or looking for more cheaper gems?
3. Investing in our youth to hit the 1st team or just buying "potential" or " projects?

The champions League certainly isn't geared up for 4th pot teams to finish 3rd , 2nd or 1st in the group. And I doubt the new set up will make it any easier.

It's a conundrum..... but something I would like to see, and I happy with the baby steps we have taken since Ange time and since Rodgers took over.

We haven't won it yet and any real celebration will have to wait until that moment.
I have to be honest and say at one stage I thought that BR had lost the dressing room such was the inconsistency over the season.

There were so many games that we only performed for 45 mins and managed to find a way of just winning or letting the opposition back in when they should have been buried.

At one stage I wondered if BR was asking himself why the fcuk he came back as it became apparent none of the transfers were his choice and the players were missing big Ange it seemed for half a season.

Throw in the horrible injury list and It looked like we had lost our way and a team that wasn't up for the fight...I said as much at the time and had no great hope of success for the rest of the campaign.

We are still no where near a top class team but credit where it is due BR has navigated through all the troubled waters and galvanised a group of players that had lost their way whilst managing Var/Mib and the SMSM at crucial moments to create a mentality and "write our own story"
It is great feeling to wake up today and know we are now in this position but I reiterate nothing is won yet.
The Europe question can wait for me ...we need to deal with the here and now and the small matter of full concentration to finally get over the line.

To me Brendan still has to prove himself on the big stage. That is in Europe. He's still behind Jock, MON, wee GS and maybe even NL. We really should have won this SPFL at a canter, but made hard work of it. Much like the game on Saturday and the previous at Ipox.
The board really need to back him in terms of money though. I'm getting fed up of being any groups whipping bhoys.
Not saying actually winning a trophy, but even 'they' got to a final recently.
While I agree with many of your points, Brim, for me, if and when we get this title over the line, it goes down as a major achievement. Abysmal lack of ambition at board level came very close to losing out on the huge finances that come with the prize.

As I say, if and when we achieve it, then, it goes down as one of the most important in our history as far as I'm concerned.

It also gets our bean-counters off a very big hook .

Like him or loathe him, BR can hold his head high. Hopefully Wednesday is another wonderful chapter in our glorious history.

To spend the equivalent of 6m like we did back then for Sutton and Hartson we would need to be forking out around 10.5/11 million, that's the type of investment, maybe more, we should be buying at if we want better quality. And the minimum to replace big Joe.
It's not like we don't have it.
Brendan needs backed financially to take us up a level.

While I agree with many of your points, Brim, for me, if and when we get this title over the line, it goes down as a major achievement. Abysmal lack of ambition at board level came very close to losing out on the huge finances that come with the prize.

As I say, if and when we achieve it, then, it goes down as one of the most important in our history as far as I'm concerned.

It also gets our bean-counters off a very big hook .

Like him or loathe him, BR can hold his head high. Hopefully Wednesday is another wonderful chapter in our glorious history.
A major achievement?

A major achievement?
Yip, absolutely. 50-60 million bucks alone is enough to qualify it as a major achievement. Only my opinion, of course, but the almost catastrophic run of injuries highlighted the paucity of quality in our squad: all down to the lack of ambition from the powers that be.

So yes, I'm more than happy to say it will be a major achievement by BR.

Last edited:
Yip, absolutely. 50-60 million bucks alone is enough to qualify it as a major achievement. Only my opinion, of course, but the almost catastrophic run of injuries highlighted the paucity of quality in our squad: all down to the lack of ambition from the powers that be.

So yes, I'm more than happy to say it will be a major achievement by BR.
Aye its a major achievement, the number of different line ups, injuries , players not replaced. When we were at a good strength earlier in the season and brushing sides away, like the 7-1 v Dundee it was as plain as sailing can be.
Take out the many we had missing and things are tougher.
I see it as an achievement because of how he managed to get the remaining bhoys to pull together, having dropped an 8pt lead , to them having the chance to go 4 clear yet still we win it , I've no doubt we'll win a point in last two games.
Deliver the double with this side , that's definitely a major achievement

I said from start of season we would win the league, even through our most sticky spells in kept that faith in our team. Cup will be won handsomely imo . Another 2 years of BR to go before he departs . He said himself that he would be here for 3 years. After that imo either DD makes him an offer that he can't refuse or EPL comes calling. Let's all have fun whilst it lasts.☘️☘️

Aye its a major achievement, the number of different line ups, injuries , players not replaced. When we were at a good strength earlier in the season and brushing sides away, like the 7-1 v Dundee it was as plain as sailing can be.
Take out the many we had missing and things are tougher.
I see it as an achievement because of how he managed to get the remaining bhoys to pull together, having dropped an 8pt lead , to them having the chance to go 4 clear yet still we win it , I've no doubt we'll win a point in last two games.
Deliver the double with this side , that's definitely a major achievement
Sure s a Major Achievement. This title is sweet for me, because of our inconsistency and players out injured. We have seen in recent weeks now we are back to full strength at the right time thank God, we are now double bound. HH ☘️☘️

Sure s a Major Achievement. This title is sweet for me, because of our inconsistency and players out injured. We have seen in recent weeks now we are back to full strength at the right time thank God, we are now double bound. HH ☘️☘️
I think that this is what makes this title , once confirmed, the sweetest in a while.
The fact that we have been far from the Celtic we all know domestically, the injuries , lack of investment when we really required it and then the chance they had to go 4pts clear and fluffed their lines more than once.
This is far from the best Celtic side In recent times and would struggle I believe against Mooy, Abada and Jota, Anges Celtic, though both leak goals.
Rodgers has said its his " toughest season ever" by that I believe he's talking about lack of investment in his targets and I find it difficult to disagree with him on that.
His strongest line up on Saturday he said, didn't include any new signings bar Idah and kuhn cameos.
We have a Celtic side that's been underfunded once again this season, and we lost games we'd expect to win.
Does my head in , the ' entitled Celtic supporter ' I include my brother in those, we've no divine right to keep on winning but we do all the same despite a higher wage at that team ower there.
The double would be superb and a real testament to Rodgers game craft but if we finish this poor season imho as champions of Scotland I'll take it but the double is there for the taking, our back line aside and perhaps Reo back too soon , I'd play Bernardo but I'm not Celtic manager for a reason.
They are really rank forget how poor we've been they've been awfully poor and bottled their big chances.
Said it before, no one really remembers how we done it just that we did do it and we did, I'd take the title over a two cups double every season but I want the double just to ram it home, we're no1 , we were no1 , we are no1 and we still are no1 in Scotland, girfuy SMSM and flipflop HH

I said from start of season we would win the league, even through our most sticky spells in kept that faith in our team. Cup will be won handsomely imo . Another 2 years of BR to go before he departs . He said himself that he would be here for 3 years. After that imo either DD makes him an offer that he can't refuse or EPL comes calling. Let's all have fun whilst it lasts.☘️☘️
Must say ally you are 100% correct,,you and the doctor were the only two who consistently said we would win the league!!!not saying the rest of us didn’t think the same but our faith was well and truly tested a few of us wobbled,but a feel we were justified with some of the dire performances!!however I diff my cap to you and dr fisiani.🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀👏

Back