Can we take this form into Europe and stop being rabbits in the headlights?

Theverdict1

Everyone of us are delighted that our team have found their form. We know that we dropped the ball in the summer, when a natural reticence came to the fore, not for the first time, and we stalled and cost ourselves a fortune by an approach that to me was cowardice and bad planning, or, worse, no fucking planning at all.

It gave those we hate most hope, when they don’t deserve the steam of our pish. That capitulation drove me insane and it was the sole reason why we had a faltering start. The only reason.

We are now at a happier place, we are returning to the team we know we are. Except one place. Europe.

I used the expression, rabbits in headlights, because for too many games that is exactly how we are. We freeze, simple passes become beyond us. Players believing they can beat a man dissolved into passing the ball sideways or back.

Knowing our defence was so fragile contributed to this and the fear of losing the ball and putting them under pressure neutered us

The defence has vastly improved. All be it, with two players who will leave. But, right now they are ours and my hope is this gives us confidence to play.

We face Leipzig, no doubt a good team. No doubt richer than us. But, to think we are lambs to the slaughter is another capitulation. What the fuck have we become if we continue with that mindset?

I think we can beat them. In fact, I know we can. But only if our players realise they are not playing gods. Only if we take them on. Play the way we can. That’s the worst thing for me. Too many times it’s not only about any gulf in class, it’s sbout us shiting it, that’s not Celtic. If we lose by playing as good as we can then that’s acceptable. To be sitting lamenting we can’t pass a ball ten Fucking yards is not on.

If we play the way we can, we will beat the Germans at home with the supportvroaring them on. I truly believe that. I just hope the players have as much faith in themselves as I do in them,

Every fucker who hates us and wants us to fall, will be hoping the rabbits turn up. Let’s fuck them over and show we are Celtic and if we do fall, we fight to the last man and we show we can actually play this game.

I think we will. In fact, I know we will. COYBIG.

Last edited:
Everyone of us are delighted that our team have found their form. We know that we dropped the ball in the summer, when a natural reticence came to the fore, not for the first time, and we stalled and cost ourselves a fortune by an approach that to me was cowardice and bad planning, or, worse, no fucking planning at all.

It gave those we hate most hope, when they don’t deserve the steam of our pish. That capitulation drove me insane and it was the sole reason why we had a faltering start. The only reason.

We are now at a happier place, we are returning to the team we know we are. Except one place. Europe.

I used the expression, rabbits in headlights, because for too many games that is exactly how we are. We freeze, simple passes become beyond us. Players believing they can beat a man dissolved into passing the ball sideways or back.

Knowing our defence was so fragile contributed to this and the fear of losing the ball and putting them under pressure neutered us

The defence has vastly improved. All be it, with two players who will leave. But, right now they are ours and my hope is this gives us confidence to play.

We face Leipzig, no doubt a good team. No doubt richer than us. But, to think we are lambs to the slaughter is another capitalization. What the fuck have we become if we continue with that mindset?

I think we can beat them. In fact, I know we can. But only if our players realise they are not playing gods. Only if we take them on. Play the way we can. That’s the worst thing for me. Too many times it’s not only about any gulf in class, it’s sbout us shiting it, that’s not Celtic. If we lose by playing as good as we can then that’s acceptable. To be sitting lamenting we can’t pass a ball ten Fucking yards is not on.

If we play the way we can, we will beat the Germans at home with the supportvroaring them on. I truly believe that. I just hope the players have as much faith in themselves as I do in them,

Every fucker who hates us and wants us to fall, will be hoping the rabbits turn up. Let’s fuck them over and show we are Celtic and if we do fall, we fight to the last man and we show we can actually play this game.

Cracking post Verdict !!

Spot on. It's about time the Celtic team found a bit of self-belief and attitude in European competition and hopefully, after recent results, they can convince themselves that they can do it. That's what they have to think, every minute of the game, whether they score the first goal or lose the first goal... rather like a team of local lads who faced a big, highly regarded Italian team in 1967.

Last edited:
Good shout.

I think a lot of the problem we have in Europe is we go in to these games with a mindset that's not 100% committed to playing positive football.

We seem to err on the side of caution too often to the detriment of being positive. This imo then manifests itself into us playing without the confidence or cohesion required for us to be collectively at our best which we need to be against the better class of teams we come up against.

If we can lose this....let's call it fear factor.....and believe in ourselves more I really believe we can lift our game to a level that would shock a few as there's some real talent in the team. Let's hope so.

I'm expecting a big performance Thursday night.

What I can’t except in Europe is when we give the ball when under no pressure whatsoever an unforced error if you like
That to me seems to be a mind set that we r playing against better players and nerves set in
But I agree our enemies r sharpening ther laptops as we speak desperate for us to take a doing so they can have there wet dream headlines while they sleber like poachers dugs over any result Sevco get
Coybig☘️☘️

I had all but given up any hope of Celtic giving a good account of themselves in EL competition. Nothing has really been achieved this season in Europe and has been a source of ridicule from the unbeaten in Europe new team that ply their trade in Ibrox. Now however, we seem to have hit our stride and with the way we've easily brushed aside the league leaders, we must have banked a certain amount of confidence. If the team remain confident then less mistakes will be made no matter what the tactics are. This time I won't be afraid to watch the next EL game.

Fingers crossed that we can win our last 3 games. It would nice if we could really batter the germans and the Swiss Red bulls at home with the old rocking fortress that Parkhead can be in european games.

It would also be nice if we could finish the next 3 EL games without stupid giveaway goals throw inept defending.

Heres hoping we win all 3
10 goals for nil against would be perfect in my book over the 3 games. But maybe thats hoping for too much.

The last few results have got my confidence much higher. And the revelation of wee Mcgregor as DLP hopefully continues into Europe. And what a difference from Christie with some confidence.

Hopefully Sinclair Mojo will continue to bring his standard higher and higher to what he can produce more consistently.

Form has been much much better. Heres hoping it can get much higher still.

If we can take the game to Bayern Munich we can do it to Liepzig. A howler gave them the lead, then another one gave them the win, in between we played well. Cut out the ballache defending and we have a great chance.

Our defence, or lack of, has been our downfall these last years. We look stronger now. Believe Celtic. Stand up and show we can play.

Sometimes it has been about the quality of the opposition, other times it's been down to poor form but in my personal opinion for the most part it's been about a degree of naivety, a lack of confidence and the psychological frailties that come with a team made up of mostly young players that not only lack the experience of European football but lack experience full stop.

As good as some of these guys are this is a team mostly made up of young players we've plucked from the youth set-ups of English/European clubs and the first teams within Scotland. Those from the youth set-ups have little to no first team experience and those from within Scotland have only limited first team experience and very little if any experience of playing in Europe.

I've been saying this for years but this has been the biggest flaw in Lawell and the board's signing policy, aside from the odd result we'll never make any progress in Europe until we balance the talent of these young players with the know how of older more experienced players. Until Lawell and Co. stop putting sell on values ahead of first team progress then we'll continue to suffer from this affliction.

Look at the last Celtic team that made a European final, they not only had talent but they had years of experience throughout the team and not just in Scotland. Thanks to the resilience that comes with years of experience we not only had the talent but we had the smarts, the doggedness and the grit to make it all the way to Seville.

Sometimes it has been about the quality of the opposition, other times it's been down to poor form but in my personal opinion for the most part it's been about a degree of naivety, a lack of confidence and the psychological frailties that come with a team made up of mostly young players that not only lack the experience of European football but lack experience full stop.

As good as some of these guys are this is a team mostly made up of young players we've plucked from the youth set-ups of English/European clubs and the first teams within Scotland. Those from the youth set-ups have little to no first team experience and those from within Scotland have only limited first team experience and very little if any experience of playing in Europe.

I've been saying this for years but this has been the biggest flaw in Lawell and the board's signing policy, aside from the odd result we'll never make any progress in Europe until we balance the talent of these young players with the know how of older more experienced players. Until Lawell and Co. stop putting sell on values ahead of first team progress then we'll continue to suffer from this affliction.

Look at the last Celtic team that made a European final, they not only had talent but they had years of experience throughout the team and not just in Scotland. Thanks to the resilience that comes with years of experience we not only had the talent but we had the smarts, the doggedness and the grit to make it all the way to Seville.

The Seville team were also far more resilient than the current squad, nowadays apart from Broony we have a softness that need toughening up... the likes of Lenny, Lambo, Thommo, Sutton, Bobo & Johan were all hard as nails on the pitch,

No way would a plastic hardman like that prick Naismith act like he does with even just a couple of those names on the park against him

The Seville team were also far more resilient than the current squad, nowadays apart from Broony we have a softness that need toughening up... the likes of Lenny, Lambo, Thommo, Sutton, Bobo & Johan were all hard as nails on the pitch,

No way would a plastic hardman like that prick Naismith act like he does with even just a couple of those names on the park against him

Away from home the Seville team were shit too. I know because I was there for over a dozen of them. At home they did the business though. Even at home now we are, or were poor.

Seville team went down to Blackburn and Liverpool and got results when 'England expected' different outcomes. Yep they were hard as nails. Had Martin spent cash in January and sorted out a goal keeper - we may even have turned Porto over. However it is what it is. I hope the lads give 110% on Thursday night but we may well struggle but its just part of this magnificent journey.... Anything is possible at Celtic Park. HH :cool:

Away from home the Seville team were shit too. I know because I was there for over a dozen of them. At home they did the business though. Even at home now we are, or were poor.

I was there for quite a few of them too Verdict and granted our CL away form was mostly gash (CL home form outstanding though) but I was specifically talking about what got us to the final in Seville. We came up against some really good sides and we not only competed with them but had some great wins home and away, beating Stuttgart 3-1 at home, Blackburn Rovers 2-0 away and Liverpool 2-0 away being the picks of the bunch.

Could you see this current side achieving that level? The talent is there but they just don't have the resilience that comes with having older more experienced players in the side to steady them and give them the confidence to go and compete.

i was so lucky, when it was unthinkable tae lose in europe! (even if we did we went down fighting)when brendan said we can't compete with the big boys, i thought ffs! we feckin can.we might not win,but we sure as fuck can compete!!!:mad:
Yes, we should never say we can't compete. No-one in competitive sport should ever take that attitude. If you think you will be defeated, you are likely to be correct.

We face Leipzig, no doubt a good team. No doubt richer than us. But, to think we are lambs to the slaughter is another capitulation. What the fuck have we become if we continue with that mindset?

Great sentiment Verdict, against the Germans I think you should scud Hoopy,wear the gear and join the huddle and tell the players exactly what .you're telling us. We are CELTIC nobody scares us. HH

Back