Celtic’s Dismal 1963-64 season – Downhill to Perdition

I was 6 years when that season started so I never saw us that bad. I was 9 years old in 66-67 and in those days I was lifted over the turnstiles by my father and we stood where the Green Brigade now gather. That was the year when we won every trophy and I was hooked for life. For the next 9 years I breathed success. I've seen Celtic beat Barcelona but be beaten by Clyde. I've seen them trounce Real Madrid but be beaten by Livingston. I'm convinced that what makes football so addictive is the unpredictability. The pain as well as the glory. The past does not predict the future. That is the punter's big mistake. I'm a health professional and I think like a professional. I've seen far too many Celtic players sometimes fail to put in maximal effort during a match, just turning up and being bang average. I work a 50 hour week and they put in a 90 minute shift. I expect them not just to tackle and pass and shoot but to be utterly goal focused for the entire 90 minutes. What links the Stein team of 9IAR, Clough's Nottingham Forrest and Leicester City? A great team instead of team of 11 great players.
We face the most important season in over 50 years. We will start in empty stadiums so no player will be roared on by the fans. This is the season to wash away the football pain of the last half a century. It could be momentous or it could be painful. That all depends on whether the team is cohesive and professional and turns their talent into ability via technique and self discipline. I am not privy to the motivations of each player but they need to know that they are not playing for a salary. They are playing to bring joy to the diaspora. Leave no gas in the tank. No trying , or attempting or striving or having a go. Every match -win it. That is the job. Now go do it.

Back