Celtic fan attacked; left blinded & unconscious... Police say, "Not sectarian or football related"

CalumHH

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-blinded-after-old-firm-assault-37289870.html

A Celtic fan from Londonderry Free Derry was blinded in one eye after an attack at the Old Firm Glasgow derby in Glasgow on Sunday.

The Irish News have reported that 48-year-old Charlie Pehlan was the victim of an unprovoked attack following Celtic's 1-0 win over rivals Rangers Sevco Town Rovers.

Mr Flanagan suffered a number of injuries including a broken eye socket, cheekbone and nose in the attack which left him unconscious.

He told the Irish News that his attacker was wearing "union jack shorts" and he believe he was targeted because he was wearing a Celtic jersey and scarf.

Mr Flanagan had traveled to Glasgow for the game at Celtic Park with a group of other Celtic fans who regularly attend games.

“I had just come out of a fish and chip shop when I was hit. I don’t really remember a lot but I’m told I was hit twice and knocked out,” Mr Flanagan told the Irish News.

“I have to have reconstructive surgery to my cheekbone and I’ve suffered fractures to my fingers and wrist as well. They could have killed me. I had no chance to defend myself.

“They think he might have had a knuckleduster because the doctor said he must have had something hard in his hand for the damage he caused.

“My face is a mess and it’s sore. The anger hasn’t even sunk in yet. I will not be back.

“I’ve been going over to Celtic games for 25 years and nothing like this has ever happened.”

Scottish police have confirmed they are investigating the attack but said they are not treating the attack as "sectarian or football related".

Last edited:
Firstly i’d Like to wish Mr Flanagan a speedy recovery from his shocking injuries.

What’s really disturbing here is a man in Celtic colours seriously assaulted by a man in Union Jack clothing and the police have concluded that it’s not football related although it happened shortly after the match

220317700-fa0e00d8-269b-4504-9ade-6bd3da25a3ca.jpg

Looks pretty awful. Remind me not to stop in Girvan for chips! His mate said that the attacker had run off a bus. Didn't say if it was a supporters bus or not.

Sorry but I have to take serious issue with sonnybhoy and to a lesser extent jinky. Sonnybhoy you sound like one of them.
Not at all cops are "sectarian hun scum" who follow rangers*. Afraid you're hanging on to and outdated view from the 20th century. Albeit it was based on fact at the time.
Rest assured there are plenty, PLENTY of rank and file cops who are entirely disillusioned with the way football and Celtic fans in particular are policed. At the risk of sounding like I'm passing the buck it's senior management and the stats department who make things like this "not football related" when it clearly blatantly is.
Please don't assume, simply from how they choose to earns a wage, a person's football/political/religious stance

Hope for a full recovery for the fella.
Disgrace for the Police spokesperson to come out with such a statement before they have even fully investigated the matter, there is no way could they have in the timeframe

Not just a disgrace but extremely disturbing, the sort of statement expected of some old Brit colonial system looking to cover up.

The Huddleboard seem to have worked out that this was a Scottish Yob who was on the Stena line sailing at 3.30 from Belfast. They abused people on the ferry and that Stena have barred these people and their Vehicles. Its suggested that they had travelled to Belfast for an Orange parade in Belfast on Saturday.

There are numerous CCTV on the M77& A77 and in Girvan

Meanwhile Police Scotland don't think it was Sectarian and don't seem to be doing much investigations.

Sorry but I have to take serious issue with sonnybhoy and to a lesser extent jinky. Sonnybhoy you sound like one of them.
Not at all cops are "sectarian hun scum" who follow rangers*. Afraid you're hanging on to and outdated view from the 20th century. Albeit it was based on fact at the time.
Rest assured there are plenty, PLENTY of rank and file cops who are entirely disillusioned with the way football and Celtic fans in particular are policed. At the risk of sounding like I'm passing the buck it's senior management and the stats department who make things like this "not football related" when it clearly blatantly is.
Please don't assume, simply from how they choose to earns a wage, a person's football/political/religious stance
Please parky inform me what is this serious issue...................i sound like one of who.....................my background since i was 8 years old up until october last year has been utterly plagued by the so called police.glasgow ... strathclyde.... police scotland ......... what ever the fuck you wish to call them...............i am not talking about the rank and file coppers who are disallusioned...........I am talking about the coppers who in public openly called me taig...tarrier......shoulda been burned at birth catholic scum......from my point fuck them all and the bitch that bore them..............as for your rank and fucking file, my nephew is a copper and i love him to death........but his way of earning coin to me is the same as judas.............................if you read my thread again i never said all cops where sectarian scum.....i said that (in referance that the majority who dealt with me)where sectarian scum..............i have had the vest on since i was eight years old and i aint never taking it off m8.............i understand the need to be policed...........i know why these people are there..........what i will not stand for is for them to bypass the authority they have , to demean me for my religion or football allegiance or for just walking the street after dark............Hail fuckin Hail

The Huddleboard seem to have worked out that this was a Scottish Yob who was on the Stena line sailing at 3.30 from Belfast. They abused people on the ferry and that Stena have barred these people and their Vehicles. Its suggested that they had travelled to Belfast for an Orange parade in Belfast on Saturday.

There are numerous CCTV on the M77& A77 and in Girvan

Meanwhile Police Scotland don't think it was Sectarian and don't seem to be doing much investigations.
get this info out to more people..............if you are on twitter , facebook snapchat whatever....get it out bhoy

Our polis are obviously really really good. They released a quick statement patting their own backs about how quickly they reacted to the crush at Celtic park(half an hour i hear). Now without having time to properly investigate or even catch the attacker. They have declared that the guy in the union Jack shorts who attacked the guy in the Celtic top after Celtic beat sevco wasn't football related. Brilliant work lads.

Please parky inform me what is this serious issue...................i sound like one of who.....................my background since i was 8 years old up until october last year has been utterly plagued by the so called police.glasgow ... strathclyde.... police scotland ......... what ever the fuck you wish to call them...............i am not talking about the rank and file coppers who are disallusioned...........I am talking about the coppers who in public openly called me taig...tarrier......shoulda been burned at birth catholic scum......from my point fuck them all and the bitch that bore them..............as for your rank and fucking file, my nephew is a copper and i love him to death........but his way of earning coin to me is the same as judas.............................if you read my thread again i never said all cops where sectarian scum.....i said that (in referance that the majority who dealt with me)where sectarian scum..............i have had the vest on since i was eight years old and i aint never taking it off m8.............i understand the need to be policed...........i know why these people are there..........what i will not stand for is for them to bypass the authority they have , to demean me for my religion or football allegiance or for just walking the street after dark............Hail fuckin Hail

With regards to your treatment over the course of your life I can only sympathise and share your anger. It's abhorrent. Plain and simple. Anyone who thinks because they wear a uniform are above the law and can treat anyone as they see fit, is frankly a brain donor.
What I was saying, which you've kind of addressed is to reserve your contempt (or however you'd prefer to describe it) for those specific individuals and not the uniform

Hai
With regards to your treatment over the course of your life I can only sympathise and share your anger. It's abhorrent. Plain and simple. Anyone who thinks because they wear a uniform are above the law and can treat anyone as they see fit, is frankly a brain donor.
What I was saying, which you've kind of addressed is to reserve your contempt (or however you'd prefer to describe it) for those specific individuals and not the uniform
HH buddy?

as i said parky..........i know we need the police................its not contempt for the uniform ..... its actually contempt for the person that wears it and the depths that they are willing to go to browbeat me and make me submit............which in my lifetime i never have.............over 50 convictions ,plead to every one which i either did or was my fault ,bar one,.........................and for every copper that verbally or physically abused me, I either got my retribution in there and then or took it out on them later...................i have a lifetime of shit with them.......for reasons that where not my instagation but my older brothers......I aint no fuckin target..........And i aint no fuckin victim..............and i sure as aint no skerred eh the fuckin police........had every manner a doins fay the cunts....and gave them back........tay me thats fair...........don't hold grudges against them cause thay and i knew how far i would go and i knew how far they would go............cat and mouse comes to mind........if i commited a crime and they caught me , then , fair play....................but as i said and will say again...........when they commit a crime against me....and i am expected to let them investigate theirselves for said crime and they come up smelling of roses and its turned into my fault.....then i think i can be excused for labelling the way i have concerned with my own experiences.......Hail hAIL

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...-blinded-after-old-firm-assault-37289870.html

A Celtic fan from Londonderry was blinded in one eye after an attack at the Old Firm derby in Glasgow on Sunday.

The Irish News have reported that 48-year-old Charlie Pehlan was the victim of an unprovoked attack following Celtic's 1-0 win over rivals Rangers.

Mr Flanagan suffered a number of injuries including a broken eye socket, cheekbone and nose in the attack which left him unconscious.

He told the Irish News that his attacker was wearing "union jack shorts" and he believe he was targeted because he was wearing a Celtic jersey and scarf.

Mr Flanagan had traveled to Glasgow for the game at Celtic Park with a group of other Celtic fans who regularly attend games.

“I had just come out of a fish and chip shop when I was hit. I don’t really remember a lot but I’m told I was hit twice and knocked out,” Mr Flanagan told the Irish News.

“I have to have reconstructive surgery to my cheekbone and I’ve suffered fractures to my fingers and wrist as well. They could have killed me. I had no chance to defend myself.

“They think he might have had a knuckleduster because the doctor said he must have had something hard in his hand for the damage he caused.

“My face is a mess and it’s sore. The anger hasn’t even sunk in yet. I will not be back.

“I’ve been going over to Celtic games for 25 years and nothing like this has ever happened.”

Scottish police have confirmed they are investigating the attack but said they are not treating the attack as "sectarian or football related".
Where's Londonderry? Never heard of it!

Members online

Latest posts

Back