Celtic/Sevco ex players in the media

bhoy4life

Dunno about anybody else, but over the years I’ve noticed that Celtic as a club has far too many ex players that are only too willing to take a pop at us rather than say anything positive, the likes of Nicholas, Walker, Commons, lately Sutton can be negative, I’m sure there’s others I’ve missed.
As for Sevco, you just will not find a dissenting voice?
Why is that? They buy into anything to protect their club.
Is it our penny pinching over the years that sends these pro’s on their way hating us?
I’m at a loss for an explanation, anyone got any thoughts on it?

The ex players know there is no money to be made from positive stories about Celtic. The sevvie minded media throw money at those willing to bad mouth Celtic.
Got a bill coming? Say Celtic are shite and £1500 will be yours.
Most (all?) of the U.K/Scottish media are Tory and Unionist minded.
Celtic will always be the victim of their pro sevvie anti Celtic bias.
Don't buy them and never fall for the clickbait. Starve them and they will die.
Check oot the articles, posted by Aussie-Greek, from the Greek City News.
You will never read truths like that in the Scottish media.

He faked an eye injury half way this 1st season and refused to play again for them, would have been a record breaking season, if I remember right he had scored 30+ goals up to Xmas, then the Italian restaurant owners he was frequenting told him about what the scum were singing about at every game…….

Our penny pinching over the seasons?? Absolutely not. most of these guys were made millionaires by Celtic. We can blame our boards for a lot of things but turning these soup taking rat bags into anti-celtic mouthpieces is not one. They only get a job in the media if they put the boot in. Many a celtic players aren't spouting their shite in the media and that's because they refuse to attack us. Hundreds of ex players are out there quietly supporting Celtic. Guys like Larsson, one of the greatest players to play in our league, never got asked his opinion by our media, even when he wasn't working. Why do you think that was?? He didn't suit their agenda. The only ex celtic players you see on a regular basis in the media are the arseholes who have shown their pay masters they are willing to have a pop at us. Sutton is slightly different. He is a supporter of celtic but he peppers his commentary and articles with words like "rangers" and "old firm" just to keep his bosses happy. He also got his foot in the door early by constantly attacking Ronny when he was just starting out in the industry......

Last edited:
The answer is greed. Guys who grew up supposedly supporting Celtic got rich from celtic and wanted more. They would sing the fucking sash on camera for their bosses if it ment a steady income. The media want Anti-Celtic mouthpieces and what better mouthpieces than ex players....they must know what they are talking about.....right?? These guys have no honour or class and to suggest somehow our "biscuit tin mentality" drove them to attacking us is nonsense. They are greedy cunts and scumbags....end off 😁

Not that you were suggesting it B4L!!! That's my opinion to anyone who would suggest it 🍀👍

It comes down to principles !

Look at the ex-players who attack Celtic - Nicholas , Commons , Walker - what kind of character do they portray with their negative comments ?
Are they the type of person whom you'd be happy to have as a ( loyal ) friend ?

As for the Sevco horde , you must remember that if you signed up at Ipox and took their money for any length of time then it is pretty certain that you would have shared their distasteful views vis-a-vis Celtic and the Celtic support .
So it is no surprise that many of their ex-players display the same abhorrent views as the denizens of The Louden Tavern and would NEVER admit to anything negative to do with the Devil's Eleven !

The media must also share much of the blame . How many ex-Rangers/Sevco are employed to give their ''neutral'' views of Scottish Football and how many from the Celtic camp ?
Derek Johnstone ( a legend for his predictions of the 'Old Firm' games ) now pensioned off , Alex Rae , Gordon Dalziel , Derek Ferguson , Mark Hately , Stephen Thomson , Billy Dodds , Barry Ferguson , McCoist , Neil McCann , Boyd .. even serving players like Halliday ( playing for another club so this provides a veneer of neutrality ) and former managers like McLeish are taken on board .

HH

I would say the exception is John Hartson. He does stick up for Celtic but does criticise us fairly when it is deserved. I reckon that they don't actually ask him onto these programmes but he just turns up and walks into the studios and they are too frightened to ask him to leave or not pay him!

Personally don't mind Sutton nothing wrong with some brutal honesty sometimes the rest can fuck off and die for all I care
Sutton is sound most of the time but he does play to the gallery an awful lot. He loves being the pantomine villain and that is for both sides of the Glasgow support - he loves being relevant and spoken about, but is mostly alright (but I thought he went far too overboard too quickly on Ronny and became very personal with the abuse IMO).

Our penny pinching over the seasons?? Absolutely not. most of these guys were made millionaires by Celtic. We can blame our boards for a lot of things but turning these soup taking rat bags into anti-celtic mouthpieces is not one. They only get a job in the media if they put the boot in. Many a celtic players aren't spouting their shite in the media and that's because they refuse to attack us. Hundreds of ex players are out there quietly supporting Celtic. Guys like Larsson, one of the greatest players to play in our league, never got asked his opinion by our media, even when he wasn't working. Why do you think that was?? He didn't suit their agenda. The only ex celtic players you see on a regular basis in the media are the arseholes who have shown their pay masters they are willing to have a pop at us. Sutton is slightly different. He is a supporter of celtic but he peppers his commentary and articles with words like "rangers" and "old firm" just to keep his bosses happy. He also got his foot in the door early by constantly attacking Ronny when he was just starting out in the industry......
Aye I agree its nothing to do with penny pinching or the biscuit tin mentality of old. I believe there's some residual effects of the Biccy tin mentality and that can show in transfer dealings. However these players , provan, nicholarse, walker , commons etc were well and truly loved by the fans during their time at the club. So I go along with the majority and say it's for an easy quick buck. We have lenny ( whose been getting loaded questions btw) sutton whose fair in his assessments. Big bad john is the same fair and says it as he sees it. It could also relate to how these players left who knows but in a country and city where to quote cesaer " we are underdogs in our own city " this has never changed since before he said it til now. Easy money to take the soup and a £1500 pay cheque. Were I to hazard a guess at any other reason I'd say that those players are raging they missed the big money years HH

Dunno about anybody else, but over the years I’ve noticed that Celtic as a club has far too many ex players that are only too willing to take a pop at us rather than say anything positive, the likes of Nicholas, Walker, Commons, lately Sutton can be negative, I’m sure there’s others I’ve missed.
As for Sevco, you just will not find a dissenting voice?
Why is that? They buy into anything to protect their club.
Is it our penny pinching over the years that sends these pro’s on their way hating us?
I’m at a loss for an explanation, anyone got any thoughts on it?
Chris Sutton aint an enemy of Celtic

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the interview with Negri for those that missed it. It's on a blog called donstalk.
The comments fae Aberdeen fans mirror ours- you will never read that in the sevvie minded media.
We have to go Italian Sports Magazines or an Australian-Greek newspaper to get the truth about sevco. A shocking endictment of Scottish Journalism.

From an Italian Football magazine, an interview with Marco Negri, about Rangers, and life in Scotland.

LB- Luigi Bruno (Interviewer)

MN- Marco Negri

LB- Marco, you left Rangers under very strange circumstances, why was that?

MN- Strange? There was nothing strange in anything that happened there, they simply did not want me there any longer.

LB- Why was that?

MN- The honest answer is that I didn't know then and I still don't know even today. Nobody ever explained why I had fallen out of favour.

LB- Your goal record at Rangers was fantastic and when fit and available you were scoring for fun. I, and many others still do not understand why you left under a cloud.

MN- Let's just say you are getting very close to why I think that I was frozen out. Scotland is a very claustrophobic place where everything is examined and analyzed endlessly. Scottish society is in many ways a backward place.

LB- What do you mean by that?

MN- The culture, the underlying culture of Rangers was not good. The first team players had a habit of drinking vast amounts of alcohol during the week. As you know here in Italy we have a different culture as professional footballers. We know that it is our duty to keep ourselves fit and healthy. Some of the players there like Paul Gascoigne and Andy Goram would turn up smelling of drink BEFORE training. I could not understand why such behaviour was tolerated by Walter Smith who was manager then".

LB- Marco we are well aware of Paul Gascoigne's problems and it is sad to see his decline, we saw it earlier at Lazio. Are you saying that the players were out of control?

MN- Absolutely, I tried to point this out to Walter Smith several times but he became very defensive and said that I needed to understand Scottish footballing culture. He would hear no criticism of Goram and especially Gascoigne who could literally do anything he wanted to and still get away with it! It wasn't just their drinking however, they had some really extreme political and religious views.

LB- Could you elaborate on this please?

MN- Of course. They hated Catholics. All of them. I never understood why they were so filled with hatred. Several of us who were Catholic players and all foreigners were told upon arrival, never to bless ourselves at Ibrox as it could cause problems for us. I began to understand that Rangers was an extreme club very similar to Lazio here in Italy. You know, a right wing club with right wing supporters. I personally am not a practicing Catholic but my wife Anna Maria is, and it used to cause me pain when I heard what they said about my fellow Catholics. Lorenzo Amoruso and Jorg Albertz, just kept quiet and kept their heads down.

LB- What finally brought things to a head?

MN- I was rapidly disillusioned by Rangers and especially their supporters. As part of my professional duties I was strongly encouraged to attend social functions which meant going to several Rangers supporters clubs. The last one I attended really brought home to me the fact that I had nothing in common with these people. The anti-Catholic feeling was venomous and the songs they sang that evening filled me with disgust. It was at that point I decided not to give my all for a club that condoned such behaviour. I went sick. Walter Smith knew the real reason for my 'illness' and he just ignored it. But I wasn't lying, I was sick, sick of Rangers and sick of what they stood for and that is the truth.

Here is the interview with Negri for those that missed it. It's on a blog called donstalk.
The comments fae Aberdeen fans mirror ours- you will never read that in the sevvie minded media.
We have to go Italian Sports Magazines or an Australian-Greek newspaper to get the truth about sevco. A shocking endictment of Scottish Journalism.

From an Italian Football magazine, an interview with Marco Negri, about Rangers, and life in Scotland.

LB- Luigi Bruno (Interviewer)

MN- Marco Negri

LB- Marco, you left Rangers under very strange circumstances, why was that?

MN- Strange? There was nothing strange in anything that happened there, they simply did not want me there any longer.

LB- Why was that?

MN- The honest answer is that I didn't know then and I still don't know even today. Nobody ever explained why I had fallen out of favour.

LB- Your goal record at Rangers was fantastic and when fit and available you were scoring for fun. I, and many others still do not understand why you left under a cloud.

MN- Let's just say you are getting very close to why I think that I was frozen out. Scotland is a very claustrophobic place where everything is examined and analyzed endlessly. Scottish society is in many ways a backward place.

LB- What do you mean by that?

MN- The culture, the underlying culture of Rangers was not good. The first team players had a habit of drinking vast amounts of alcohol during the week. As you know here in Italy we have a different culture as professional footballers. We know that it is our duty to keep ourselves fit and healthy. Some of the players there like Paul Gascoigne and Andy Goram would turn up smelling of drink BEFORE training. I could not understand why such behaviour was tolerated by Walter Smith who was manager then".

LB- Marco we are well aware of Paul Gascoigne's problems and it is sad to see his decline, we saw it earlier at Lazio. Are you saying that the players were out of control?

MN- Absolutely, I tried to point this out to Walter Smith several times but he became very defensive and said that I needed to understand Scottish footballing culture. He would hear no criticism of Goram and especially Gascoigne who could literally do anything he wanted to and still get away with it! It wasn't just their drinking however, they had some really extreme political and religious views.

LB- Could you elaborate on this please?

MN- Of course. They hated Catholics. All of them. I never understood why they were so filled with hatred. Several of us who were Catholic players and all foreigners were told upon arrival, never to bless ourselves at Ibrox as it could cause problems for us. I began to understand that Rangers was an extreme club very similar to Lazio here in Italy. You know, a right wing club with right wing supporters. I personally am not a practicing Catholic but my wife Anna Maria is, and it used to cause me pain when I heard what they said about my fellow Catholics. Lorenzo Amoruso and Jorg Albertz, just kept quiet and kept their heads down.

LB- What finally brought things to a head?

MN- I was rapidly disillusioned by Rangers and especially their supporters. As part of my professional duties I was strongly encouraged to attend social functions which meant going to several Rangers supporters clubs. The last one I attended really brought home to me the fact that I had nothing in common with these people. The anti-Catholic feeling was venomous and the songs they sang that evening filled me with disgust. It was at that point I decided not to give my all for a club that condoned such behaviour. I went sick. Walter Smith knew the real reason for my 'illness' and he just ignored it. But I wasn't lying, I was sick, sick of Rangers and sick of what they stood for and that is the truth.
There english based players picked it up really quickly got speaking to one of the players brothers when he was on holiday ,they were on better money but they couldn't believe a football club still lived in the dark ages

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back