Celtic, the giants causeway of stepping stone clubs.

Winter

We all know, have known for some considerable time that players come here to further their ambitions to reach a top 5 league , or more importantly, reach a league that pays silly money for average players.

Ange was a sore one , though we knew it was incoming.
Now we're losing Jota?
Mooy is retiring ?

Hope Nicholson, M lawell and Co have been very busy.

Point of this post is that whilst I recognise our position financially, I can't help but feel we are being somewhat disrespected as a club.

The stepping stone club tag is true , ok fair enough but Jota had barely touched a ball for Benfica when we splashed out a considerable amount for him.

He was the " next big thing" at Benfica with real Madrid interested but didn't fulfil that promise and fell away, much like many of his performances for us.

I accept we are a stepping stone club , but I am getting more than slightly irritated by just how quickly our main men are moving on.

We are Celtic after all and it's only television deals like skys who are keeping us down.

If jota goes for £20 million as reported to Saudi and given the 30% due to Benfica then we make around £14 million for a true talent.

I'm not happy with that, call me greedy but its actually jota who's greedy, for what's in Saudi other than money?
Aye I'd go too for life changing money.

These guys should know that Ronaldo wants out already he realises he's made a mistake and still has the burning ambition to be successful in a better league.

Plus these guys, including jota are already millionaires.

We have to address this we really do.
We are not Brighton or some other provincial club and we're being stung left right and centre.
To the extent I'm getting mightily p**sed off about it.

Who's next from our extremely talented squad? Maeda? Abada?,Oriley, Kyogo?
All of them ?

When will the board stop just accepting sums because they're in the double digits of millions but still way short of true value?

There's one thing that hasn't changed at CP.

Unfair to judge Odin and Tillo yet but they'll have to be exceptionally talented players to replace these guys.

Turnbulls contract runs out in 2024 , we should try to extend that if we can for it looks like we will definitely need him.

We take the risks , buying these guys , ok we had a loan with option to buy that Benfica apparently afterwards weren't happy with the deal, reckoned he's worth more.

So sell ourselves short again Celtic?

We don't have to sell, yet.
Of course we've seen the damage to morale that keeping players who want to move on can cause but something must be done.

For a start fifa must introduce a foreigner limit on Saudi or a wage limit.
Also we can say no! Serve half your contract you can go .
Something must change.

Not happy with buying up the EPL clubs now the Arab's want the players in their country.

At least the Chinese govt had sense to see where this was leading and put a stop to it but the Saudis could care less if its £10 or £20 million and we should be demanding top money for our players.

How are Celtic to build a side designed to impact upon Europe if we must rebuild every two seasons,?
Perhaps this is the point?
Perhaps not.

Either way I feel like we've just been disrespected twice and we also have Rodgers back to make amends.

Really jota ? Saudi?
Any ambitions to make it to the top son?
Or you just interested in the money?

Not that I'd slate the player for making money hand over fist in double quick time.

Yes benzema is at same club but is Saudi the best place for a YMCA lookalike to develop?

Sick of it 🤬

Last edited:
were big fish in a shitey wee league ,,,,it ain't gonna get any better ,,,,ever
So why ( asked this the other night) are our board just going along with skys shitty deals?

Sevco know its a rotten deal, 4 guaranteed derby games possibly 6 per season is worth more than this deal.

Does DD think that down the line sky will invite us in?
If he does then he's away with the faeries.

A British cup or conference league entry point will be the best we can get from the English.

Get donkycaster to fk , he couldn't benefit from signing a giro , useless plank.

If we are selling Jota for £20 million and 30% goes to Benfica,, that's £6 million to them but still a profit of £8 million if that £20 million is correct.

That's not nearly enough for our boardrooms sales for the window, and likely means there's another main man headed out of CP this window, plus the money from the Asian tour.

If Oriley , kyogo or maeda goes it'll rip ma fkn knitting.

We don't have to sell these guys Barkas just been released this month frees up wages money , idk what he was on but found out,

Barkas ended up making just 24 appearances for Celtic including 16 in the league, meaning he cost the Parkhead club an eye-watering £281,250 for each league game...and Celtic won only nine of those Premiership games.

We all know, have known for some considerable time that players come here to further their ambitions to reach a top 5 league , or more importantly, reach a league that pays silly money for average players.

Ange was a sore one , though we knew it was incoming.
Now we're losing Jota?
Mooy is retiring ?

Hope Nicholson, M lawell and Co have been very busy.

Point of this post is that whilst I recognise our position financially, I can't help but feel we are being somewhat disrespected as a club.

The stepping stone club tag is true , ok fair enough but Jota had barely touched a ball for Benfica when we splashed out a considerable amount for him.

He was the " next big thing" at Benfica with real Madrid interested but didn't fulfil that promise and fell away, much like many of his performances for us.

I accept we are a stepping stone club , but I am getting more than slightly irritated by just how quickly our main men are moving on.

We are Celtic after all and it's only television deals like skys who are keeping us down.

If jota goes for £20 million as reported to Saudi and given the 30% due to Benfica then we make around £14 million for a true talent.

I'm not happy with that, call me greedy but its actually jota who's greedy, for what's in Saudi other than money?
Aye I'd go too for life changing money.

These guys should know that Ronaldo wants out already he realises he's made a mistake and still has the burning ambition to be successful in a better league.

Plus these guys, including jota are already millionaires.

We have to address this we really do.
We are not Brighton or some other provincial club and we're being stung left right and centre.
To the extent I'm getting mightily p**sed off about it.

Who's next from our extremely talented squad? Maeda? Abada?,Oriley, Kyogo?
All of them ?

When will the board stop just accepting sums because they're in the double digits of millions but still way short of true value?

There's one thing that hasn't changed at CP.

Unfair to judge Odin and Tillo yet but they'll have to be exceptionally talented players to replace these guys.

Turnbulls contract runs out in 2024 , we should try to extend that if we can for it looks like we will definitely need him.

We take the risks , buying these guys , ok we had a loan with option to buy that Benfica apparently afterwards weren't happy with the deal, reckoned he's worth more.

So sell ourselves short again Celtic?

We don't have to sell, yet.
Of course we've seen the damage to morale that keeping players who want to move on can cause but something must be done.

For a start fifa must introduce a foreigner limit on Saudi or a wage limit.
Also we can say no! Serve half your contract you can go .
Something must change.

Not happy with buying up the EPL clubs now the Arab's want the players in their country.

At least the Chinese govt had sense to see where this was leading and put a stop to it but the Saudis could care less if its £10 or £20 million and we should be demanding top money for our players.

How are Celtic to build a side designed to impact upon Europe if we must rebuild every two seasons,?
Perhaps this is the point?
Perhaps not.

Either way I feel like we've just been disrespected twice and we also have Rodgers back to make amends.

Really jota ? Saudi?
Any ambitions to make it to the top son?
Or you just interested in the money?

Not that I'd slate the player for making money hand over fist in double quick time.

Yes benzema is at same club but is Saudi the best place for a YMCA lookalike to develop?

Sick of it 🤬
Personally I think the shit weather and less than glamourous away fixtures in mostly empty small stadiums have a factor in players from warmer home nations wanting out after short stay.

On top of that they are easily disregarded by the fans on a bad performance, probably vote tory since they earn lot of cash and are likely to get abuse from sevco orcs while out shopping or doing their ordinary life.
I suspect the saudi league is not worse league than Scottish these days.

Personally I think the shit weather and less than glamourous away fixtures in mostly empty small stadiums have a factor in players from warmer home nations wanting out after short stay.

On top of that they are easily disregarded by the fans on a bad performance, probably vote tory since they earn lot of cash and are likely to get abuse from sevco orcs while out shopping or doing their ordinary life.
I suspect the saudi league is not worse league than Scottish these days.
See what you're getting at TET but if they're foreignors they can't vote ( but I know you were being sarcastic) is it not SNP? 😅

It’s not just Celtic and The SPL thats a stepping stone. It’s happening all over Europe. Most players want on the SKY money gravy train. Guys like Broony and Calum McGregor are very rare in football these days. They could have left but didna. Sevco have players that have been there a few years but only because naebody else wanted them. They wanted to leave but couldna.
Playing in the Champions League, allegedly the top club competition in the world, while on a cracking wage or play in the desert heat, in a never quoted league competition in a country with a very dubious human rights record and public beheadings, while on a mega wage. The choice is yours.

If we are selling Jota for £20 million and 30% goes to Benfica,, that's £6 million to them but still a profit of £8 million if that £20 million is correct.

That's not nearly enough for our boardrooms sales for the window, and likely means there's another main man headed out of CP this window, plus the money from the Asian tour.

If Oriley , kyogo or maeda goes it'll rip ma fkn knitting.

We don't have to sell these guys Barkas just been released this month frees up wages money , idk what he was on but found out,

Barkas ended up making just 24 appearances for Celtic including 16 in the league, meaning he cost the Parkhead club an eye-watering £281,250 for each league game...and Celtic won only nine of those Premiership games.
Is it not 30% of the profit rather than 30% of the sale value?

I agree that we shouldn't be just selling him because the Saudis offered £20M. Make them pay much more since they are being so brazen with their wealth. They have got that much money, get them to spend it.

Last edited:
Winter totally agree mate .....back in 90s and 00s we could attract big players from England and Europe Celtic and rangers and players left England to come up here but sadly that's no longer the case 9/10 would leave Celtic tommoro if crystal palace put a bid in that's just a sad fact .....Celtic dominating is good for us but not for the league as players and managers wants competitive league like it was under Martins time as manager (us winning trebles was good for us definitely) but they damaged us at the same time ... see if celtic was as dominant back then as we have been this past decade (Larsson petrov etc would have left alot sooner).... it's shit but it's true we need a strong rangers and we need other teams in league to get stronger too......we can't have it both ways ......the money in England now doesn't help.....and only way to get better TV money is too have a better product that's more competitive

It’s not just Celtic and The SPL thats a stepping stone. It’s happening all over Europe. Most players want on the SKY money gravy train. Guys like Broony and Calum McGregor are very rare in football these days. They could have left but didna. Sevco have players that have been there a few years but only because naebody else wanted them. They wanted to leave but couldna.
Playing in the Champions League, allegedly the top club competition in the world, while on a cracking wage or play in the desert heat, in a never quoted league competition in a country with a very dubious human rights record and public beheadings, while on a mega wage. The choice is yours.
Hmmm , champions league or the world cup? Oh the Saudis my bad , getting deserts mixed up wit ima like 😴

Money is no object for the Saudi people, should be easy enough to squeeze £30-£35 million out them, massive stadiums, but no one to fill them, playing in 40 degrees heat, but will be earning a reported £192k a week 🤷‍♂️

I don’t care if he goes, I just hope the scouting network has another “jota” lined up, that’s the key thing here 👍

Money is no object for the Saudi people, should be easy enough to squeeze £30-£35 million out them, massive stadiums, but no one to fill them, playing in 40 degrees heat, but will be earning a reported £192k a week 🤷‍♂️

I don’t care if he goes, I just hope the scouting network has another “jota” lined up, that’s the key thing here 👍
Saudi people as in the aristocracy, Saudi people are stoned to death and hung in the city center , for entertainment and punishment of course, no big deal.

Saudi media guy who has a following of over 440,000 has just reported that Reo is in advanced talks with the same club as Jota.
These two Bhoys are contracted until 2025 which means they dont really have a say in any interest which comes through the door for them, this has the same smell as when Ajar,Edouard,and Christie left, we all know this to be the agent shite smell...called greed.
So far Celtic have not reported on any offers made for these Bhoys but as we know that is standard practice at Celtic, I have no doubt Peter will tell Mick to let us know when he thinks the time is right.
On the other hand if what we are hearing is true then these 2 Bhoys wont be the last to walk out the door if the Saudi money machine comes knocking..
After all the debate about Brendan Rogers leaving the building for more money, we could see 3 or 4 players do exactly the same, could we place any blame on them for walking away, definitely not for the money Jota is reported to have been offered..

HH

Saudi media guy who has a following of over 440,000 has just reported that Reo is in advanced talks with the same club as Jota.
These two Bhoys are contracted until 2025 which means they dont really have a say in any interest which comes through the door for them, this has the same smell as when Ajar,Edouard,and Christie left, we all know this to be the agent shite smell...called greed.
So far Celtic have not reported on any offers made for these Bhoys but as we know that is standard practice at Celtic, I have no doubt Peter will tell Mick to let us know when he thinks the time is right.
On the other hand if what we are hearing is true then these 2 Bhoys wont be the last to walk out the door if the Saudi money machine comes knocking..
After all the debate about Brendan Rogers leaving the building for more money, we could see 3 or 4 players do exactly the same, could we place any blame on them for walking away, definitely not for the money Jota is reported to have been offered..

HH
I do wonder how much money a person needs though. Even on the contract Jota has with Celtic, by the end of it he will have earned more than an awful lot of other people will in their lifetime of working. To me, it's as bad as Messi bubbling away that he couldn't stay with Barca because they had to cut their outgoings (including his club-breaking salary) before he buggered off to PSG because only PSG could afford him.

Members online

Latest posts

Back