Celtic's Bumpy Ride from BR-Exit Disarray to today's Head of Football Operations Appointment

According to Celts are here, Nicky Hammond is to be announced as "Head of recruitment", so i take it Peter Lawell is still defacto Director of football?
Really not sure how the structure works mate, to my mind lawell should sanction deals recommended by Head of recruitment as that's his remit naw? That's what he's getting paid for. The ultimate descion goes up stairs for approval might be wrong but that's my reading of it.

Really not sure how the structure works mate, to my mind lawell should sanction deals recommended by Head of recruitment as that's his remit naw? That's what he's getting paid for. The ultimate descion goes up stairs for approval might be wrong but that's my reading of it.
think so Galway, Hammond recommends,then it's up tae pistol Pete to get the deal sealed

Great article WC. Good summation of long frustrating period. Hopefully now we will see long term planning and someone here for the long haul. Looks like the relationship with Lenny is good and we can but hope Lawwell focuses on his UEFA gig for a while and leaves the day to day to Hammond. It's a good positive outcome for me. I hope he does a few interviews and we get a bit of insight into his vision. That would be welcome.

Great article, outlining the history and why things were kind of/sort of miserable, and one thing the article implies -- but doesn't outright state (unless i missed it) -- is this: I glean from this article that Hammond is repsonsible for the transfer window success in bringing in Elhamed, Moritz, Bolingoli, Forster and the others.

Is this correct?

Great article, outlining the history and why things were kind of/sort of miserable, and one thing the article implies -- but doesn't outright state (unless i missed it) -- is this: I glean from this article that Hammond is repsonsible for the transfer window success in bringing in Elhamed, Moritz, Bolingoli, Forster and the others.

Is this correct?
That's my understanding of it

Is this correct?
Not so sure. I think Frimpong and Lee O'Connor had the feel of Hammond and southern contacts. Bolingoli was apparently recommended directly by the Red Bull DOF. Elhamed came from Lennon's Israeli agent contact (I forget his name) Lennon also knew Forster. Moritz we were after at the same time he went to Stoke so not sure he was scouted under Hammond. I'm sure some of the discussions were done at that level, not convinced most of the established players were his though. Afolabi however i heard was a Hammond signing but Duff bound to have had an influence too with his Irish contacts. What it does smack of though is teamwork from everyone involved to get where we are now. Bodes well (y)

Not so sure. I think Frimpong and Lee O'Connor had the feel of Hammond and southern contacts. Bolingoli was apparently recommended directly by the Red Bull DOF. Elhamed came from Lennon's Israeli agent contact (I forget his name) Lennon also knew Forster. Moritz we were after at the same time he went to Stoke so not sure he was scouted under Hammond. I'm sure some of the discussions were done at that level, not convinced most of the established players were his though. Afolabi however i heard was a Hammond signing but Duff bound to have had an influence too with his Irish contacts. What it does smack of though is teamwork from everyone involved to get where we are now. Bodes well (y)

Bodes well indeed. Thanks, Niall J, for that explanation. I wasn't suggetsing some "palace intrigue" in the boardroom or anything like that, but those who brought in all that talent in what was clearly a successful transfer window should get credit. Thanks for clearing it up.

Bodes well indeed. Thanks, Niall J, for that explanation. I wasn't suggetsing some "palace intrigue" in the boardroom or anything like that, but those who brought in all that talent in what was clearly a successful transfer window should get credit. Thanks for clearing it up.
I think it ended up being succesful through an element of luck rather than outright design but by the close of play it looks like we have somehow cobbled together a rather fine looking squad. It's got depth eveywhere bar defensive midfield.
I'm delighted we have someone in such a post now and some forward planning already. It now looks like we can look to the future and even absorb the odd sale that Mr Lawwell seems to require for his stakeholders. Though if we can keep the guts of this group together we can qualify for Champs League next year and hopefully negate the need for asset stripping..He said naively ;)

I think it ended up being succesful through an element of luck rather than outright design but by the close of play it looks like we have somehow cobbled together a rather fine looking squad. It's got depth eveywhere bar defensive midfield.
I'm delighted we have someone in such a post now and some forward planning already. It now looks like we can look to the future and even absorb the odd sale that Mr Lawwell seems to require for his stakeholders. Though if we can keep the guts of this group together we can qualify for Champs League next year and hopefully negate the need for asset stripping..He said naively ;)
I'm not quite sure "element of luck" is the right phrase as our management team used their contacts, but it was all very rushed and almost flying by the seat of their pants. This was due to the reasons already discussed. Hopefully now we have the right people in place to have proper short, medium and long term plans in place to scout and sound out a number of realistic potential targets well ahead of time. Plans should be drafted up NOW for January and next Summer - but of course we need to be flexible too to address issues if they atise or to take advantage of a player that is just too good to miss out on. Hopefully several of these talented youngsters we now have can break through to become the next generation of Celtic heroes.

I'm not quite sure "element of luck" is the right phrase as our management team used their contacts, but it was all very rushed and almost flying by the seat of their pants. This was due to the reasons already discussed. Hopefully now we have the right people in place to have proper short, medium and long term plans in place to scout and sound out a number of realistic potential targets well ahead of time. Plans should be drafted up NOW for January and next Summer - but of course we need to be flexible too to address issues if they atise or to take advantage of a player that is just too good to miss out on. Hopefully several of these talented youngsters we now have can break through to become the next generation of Celtic heroes.

You are quite right, luck would indicate fortitude alone. Flying by the seat of our pants sums it up better.
Totally agree on the youngsters both the new recruits and our own waiting in the wings. Possibly a golden generation there. It is quite exciting to think of it

Back