Champions league strategy

"but can't see us sitting back in the first leg at home as it was never in celtics DNA.'

Which part of 'freedom to attack' is "sitting back in the first leg at home"? The rule change is dramatic and we must change our approach. i agree that we should be a rapid counter attacking team away. Losing a goal at home is no longer such a big deal. When rules change like this the premium switches from defence to attack. Scoring is more important than keeping a clean sheet at home. I expect Celtic to attack both home and away.
Your the one claiming the rule change was bought in to try and make the home team come out and attack more so, which most people would claim as being nonsense.
Our away record in general in Europe has been dismal at best over the last number of seasons and last season our home record wasn't to great either.
In case you forgot you can't attack anything without the ball, something we were pretty piss poor at being able to do last season, along with gifting soft goals away.
Hoping for a big improvement all round on last season, but you think this dramatic rule change, warrents going out full tilt on attacking as a strategy?

Your the one claiming the rule change was bought in to try and make the home team come out and attack more so, which most people would claim as being nonsense.
Our away record in general in Europe has been dismal at best over the last number of seasons and last season our home record wasn't to great either.
In case you forgot you can't attack anything without the ball, something we were pretty piss poor at being able to do last season, along with gifting soft goals away.
Hoping for a big improvement all round on last season, but you think this dramatic rule change, warrents going out full tilt on attacking as a strategy?
Commenting on the abolishment of the away goals rule, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "The away goals rule has been an intrinsic part of UEFA competitions since it was introduced in 1965. However, the question of its abolition has been debated at various UEFA meetings over the last few years. Although there was no unanimity of views, many coaches, fans and other football stakeholders have questioned its fairness and have expressed a preference for the rule to be abolished.

"The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams -- especially in first legs -- from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage. There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.

John, you need to read a bit more before posting .

Holy crap, people. Get a grip. Midtjylland isn't Bayern, for God's sake.

What's our strategy? Just spitballin' here, but maybe -- I don't know, just maybe -- it's winning the freaking games ahead of us with the team we've assembled and advance? How hard is that to comprehend?

How about we see what Postecoglou and the coaching staff does before we start full-on, hair-on-fire panic? Just a suggestion.
That was not the question, the question was champions league strategy . Answer still is we don’t have 1 and if you honestly think we can qualify with this squad as it stands then clearly you are out of touch. We need many positions to be filled before we have a chance , then we need to settle the players in , get them fit , to understand anges way of playing

we have had months to sort this out , yet here we are again

we should be better than that

just a suggestion

Hope I am very wrong but this game is looking like a Nauchatel Xamax type catastrophe. At least it will give Agne an understanding of the magnitude of the task ahead.
No matter how good a coach he might be there are too many positions needing addressed and the new signings won't be ready for this either.
Europe is a write off this year.

Hope I am very wrong but this game is looking like a Nauchatel Xamax type catastrophe. At least it will give Agne an understanding of the magnitude of the task ahead.
No matter how good a coach he might be there are too many positions needing addressed and the new signings won't be ready for this either.
I expect Ange to play some players who have never played in Europe. As far as he has seen so far the young lads can perform as well as many of the regulars who did so badly last season. I pick us to win 4-0

Commenting on the abolishment of the away goals rule, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said: "The away goals rule has been an intrinsic part of UEFA competitions since it was introduced in 1965. However, the question of its abolition has been debated at various UEFA meetings over the last few years. Although there was no unanimity of views, many coaches, fans and other football stakeholders have questioned its fairness and have expressed a preference for the rule to be abolished.

"The impact of the rule now runs counter to its original purpose as, in fact, it now dissuades home teams -- especially in first legs -- from attacking, because they fear conceding a goal that would give their opponents a crucial advantage. There is also criticism of the unfairness, especially in extra time, of obliging the home team to score twice when the away team has scored.

John, you need to read a bit more before posting .
Well fis, the day I would bother reading and believing what the suits of football are telling us, could be the day I become a patient of yours

Last edited:
How is it a write off LC?
Don't think to many expect CL qualification as a given this season, but still shouldn't be totally ruled out either.
Still the europa league, which may suit us better this season, while building confidence for next season.
I'll agree Europe may not be to high on many a supporters agenda this season, but a vast improvement is still required on what we saw last season, and still believe we can manage that

How is it a write off LC?
Don't think to many expect CL qualification as a given this season, but still shouldn't be totally ruled out either.
Still the europa league, which may suit us better this season, while building confidence for next season.
I'll agree Europe may not be to high on many a supporters agenda this season, but a vast improvement is still required on what we saw last season, and still believe we can manage that
The new guy has got a job on his hands making this squad successful in Scotland let alone against the better teams in Europe.
The are too many questions about the team just now and not enough answers. There is still time but this is definitely the most apprehensive I have felt about the start of a new season in a long time.
Hope they can prove me wrong on Tuesday night.

The new guy has got a job on his hands making this squad successful in Scotland let alone against the better teams in Europe.
The are too many questions about the team just now and not enough answers. There is still time but this is definitely the most apprehensive I have felt about the start of a new season in a long time.
Hope they can prove me wrong on Tuesday night.
Tuesday shouldn't set the tone unlike last season LC, hopefully

I'm not so sure even with a full squad we wid qualify for the groups the board have consistently not spent enuf cash to try and cement a place at that particular table unfortunately the europa is now our level Scotland has been left behind in the finance stakes....but the Europe thats something we can have a proper dash at imo obviously I would prefer finishing third in the groups to drop in thats dreamland shit but especially with this current squad rebuild happening so for me witever round we get to just don't get embarrassed and concentrate on the Europa groups

Back