champions league

seven past niven

so man city have finally bought the champions league when are uefa going to wake up to the fact that this nonsense that is the english premiership is killing competition in the game. time after time tinpot clubs in england are outspending most of the leagues in europe due to the obscene amounts of television money they receive. we keep hearing about financial fair play, but the clubs indulging in this practice, are not punished nearly enough and its time the other major leagues put pressure on the ruling body to redress the balance of course money talks and greed will always trump fairness

A breakaway competition away from the financially doped clutches of UEFA would be the only way
The champions league is just a rich clubs pissing contest becoming a soulless competition
Aye that’s the only way, let English, German, Spanish, Italian and possibly French clubs have it to themselves, but it all centres around the selling of tv rights, the only way would all the other nations not mentioned above would be to BLOCK the showing on tv and to schedule their own league games at the same times as the champions league games so as the bite into their rating’s and possibly run there own competitions, but as usual, uefa would relent a wee bit and offer the diddy nations an other few places and drive a wedge to split the diddy nations

A french journalist did a good report about 5 yrs ago about all the top european clubs not the financially doped clubs the real clubs the one's with loads of european history, it found that taking these clubs to create a european breakaway league it would dwarf the champions league both in media coverage /support /attendances home and away /sellable tv rights

It found it would be a huge money spinner but also a fairer distribution of the finances and a league the could be sustainable in the long term can't remember the guys name i'd posted it on here years ago

Have a feeling it made uefa take notice ,,,but only for a short period

Last edited by a moderator:
Money has always controlled football. From the earliest days (remember newly formed Celtic attracted top players from other clubs such as Hibs) when Northern English mill owners would pay big bucks to Scottish players to take our "passing game" down there to win trophies.

This has continued through the decades - Italian clubs poached the best players in the 1990s, Spanish clubs did the same the decade after (and were illegally bailed out by their government), now the English are doing it again.

UEFA are pandering to the rich clubs to try to stop a breakaway league. The sport is just more corrupt now as the rich clubs have too much say and want to claim as much money that comes into the game to cover their spiralling debts.

I think it is only a matter of time before something happens and the sport is ripped apart and reorganises - like darts did in the late 90s or cricket did in the 70s after the Kerry Packer circus. Hopefully Lawwell uses his extensive contact list to get the best for Celtic whatever happens.

Last edited:
Money has always controlled football. From the earliest days (remember Celtic attracted top players from other clubs such as Hibs) when Northern English mill owners would pay big bucks to Scottish players to take our "passing game" down there to win trophies.

This has continued through the decades - Italian clubs poached the best players in the 1990s, Spanish clubs did the same the decade after (and were illegally bailed out by gtheir government), now the English are doing it again.

UEFA are pandering to the rich clubs to try to stop a breakaway league. The sport is just more corrupt now as the rich clubs have too much say and want to claim as much money that comes into the game to cover their spiralling debts.

I think it is only a matter of time before something happens and the sport is ripped apart and reorganises - like darts did in the late 90s or cricket did in the 70s after the Kerry Packer circus. Hopefully Lawwell uses his extensive contact list to get the best for Celtic whatever happens.
I don't follow the golf but is the same scenario not being played out there with the pga and some other group ,,,,could be wrong mind

I don't follow the golf but is the same scenario not being played out there with the pga and some other group ,,,,could be wrong mind
Yip. The Saudi backed LIV have been sportswashing by poaching golfers for obscene paydays. After a huge standoff that has spilt the sport, suddenly last Tuesday the PGA announced they were merging to create a new organisation. The players that stood by the PGA and never took the huge LIV money are raging and feel very letdown.

European football is now a cock-waving fight between Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudis, Yanks, etc (they have gotten rid of the Russian Oligarths - for now). It is pathetic but that is what it is.

Last edited:
Thought i'd stick my nose in for this to remind a few points.
No 1. its not the CHAMPIONS league. as a lot of teams involved didnt win their leagues. ( They should be done for breaching the trades description act).
No 2. Only Foden actually comes from Manchester.
No 3. They didnt come from behind against Inter.
No 4. We won 5 trophies in the same season.

Fuck Oasis.

Tbh I prefer the Europa especially if the games was on a Tuesday or Wednesday and not the Thursday then we need to play on Sunday in league .....but we need the champ league cash but something is missing now from that tournament and his been like that for at least 10 years now .....it's for the super rich

Tbh I prefer the Europa especially if the games was on a Tuesday or Wednesday and not the Thursday then we need to play on Sunday in league .....but we need the champ league cash but something is missing now from that tournament and his been like that for at least 10 years now .....it's for the super rich
Welcome Tommybhoy, I think whats missing from the CL is it has no Soul, its now a richmans play thing... Be better of calling it the despot's cup...

Still they do offer the paupers a few crumbs each year..

Welcome tae the noise tommybhoy8881,

The UCL is all about the money, the problem is the big clubs run up debt, use there long term sponsorship deals, tv rights etc to balance the books every 3yrs to beat financial fair play. FFS, Man City got of with several breaches of FFP because one charge was incorrectly worded. FA & EPL shit scared to do anything about it incase the Abu Dhabi mob sue them🤬

Welcome tae the noise tommybhoy8881,

The UCL is all about the money, the problem is the big clubs run up debt, use there long term sponsorship deals, tv rights etc to balance the books every 3yrs to beat financial fair play. FFS, Man City got of with several breaches of FFP because one charge was incorrectly worded. FA & EPL shit scared to do anything about it incase the Abu Dhabi mob sue them🤬
Uefa are a shambles ....it's a shame for actual big clubs in Europe teams like Celtic ...club brugge Anderlecht psv feyenoord sporting cp benfica Copenhagen Malmö to name a few who don't have the cash to compete ....the top 4 teams in England for example is a disgrace and 9/10 we need to do qualifiers.....football has changed for the worst

Uefa are a shambles ....it's a shame for actual big clubs in Europe teams like Celtic ...club brugge Anderlecht psv feyenoord sporting cp benfica Copenhagen Malmö to name a few who don't have the cash to compete ....the top 4 teams in England for example is a disgrace and 9/10 we need to do qualifiers.....football has changed for the worst
And thanks for the welcome 🍀

Been debating with my mates about Champions league and I know the cash is needed ....but I would like a good run in Europa or even the conference league and I think winning the Europa or conference would be our second best ever achievement....i would take winning Europa or conference over winning the league or even the treble (for 1 season only)no one is actually impressed we win trebles as we are basically favourites every year (non Celtic fans) but winning European trophy would put us back on the map in Europe (the conference league is still massive achievement with big clubs)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back