Chris Sutton

Nakamura

I just read an article that the big fella gave about the link between heading the ball and dementia.

Especially poignant for Chris due to his Dad suffering the disease that shrinks the brain till there is nothing left.

worse still is knowing there is nothing left long before the latter happens.

thoughts and prayers today are with all those suffering or affected by dementia.
HH YWNWA đź’š

Last edited:
Add to the list most contact sports. Kids aren't allowed to head the ball till a certain age group due to risks. Horrible disease none the less. Injuries of all kinds will happen and they will take thier toll later in life. Protective head gear doesn't even fix the issue, helps but only to an extent. Any rapid change in direction can cause the brain to collide with the skull and cause injury. I've even read in the past that the heavy metal fans are at risk as well.
The list never stops growing

Add to the list most contact sports. Kids aren't allowed to head the ball till a certain age group due to risks. Horrible disease none the less. Injuries of all kinds will happen and they will take thier toll later in life. Protective head gear doesn't even fix the issue, helps but only to an extent. Any rapid change in direction can cause the brain to collide with the skull and cause injury. I've even read in the past that the heavy metal fans are at risk as well.
The list never stops growing
I can remember way back in the 50’s at primary school, the balls used were unbelievable! I was kind of smallish in size ,and could hardly kick the thing my own distance ,especially when wet ,and tried to avoid heading the damn thing,compared to now ,but damage was done years ago ,!hh

I can remember way back in the 50’s at primary school, the balls used were unbelievable! I was kind of smallish in size ,and could hardly kick the thing my own distance ,especially when wet ,and tried to avoid heading the damn thing,compared to now ,but damage was done years ago ,!hh

Thats right Ray, in that article they said the balls were heavier back then and when wet even more-so by about 40%.

The article went on to mention that most kids in training practise header after header too so i guess that level of prolonged damage inevitably takes its toll.

They likened the damage to that of a boxer.

Frightening when you think back then they didn’t know the danger of what they were doing and could not make an informed choice.

Reactions: Ray
Back