CL Qualifying

John nó

A European night has always been such a huge occasion for the Celtic supporters, yet we are only 45 days from the start of another campaign and seeming to be in a total shambles for such a match, or are we really?
I have long stated that a squad should be assembled on a 343 basis that can allow flexibility to go 541 without the ball and 343 with the ball or even a 3142.
With taking how long it has taken to get a new manager in and we are hardly renowned for getting in players quickly, is a matter of concern as we already know that the CL qualifying is hardly going to be a given match for us. So if we could still field a team
Barkas
Welsh. Jules. Shaw
Soro
Henderson Turnbull Calmac Luca
Forrest. Bayo
Subs : Taylor, Ajeti, Mikey Johnston, Monty, Hazzard

Maybe, just maybe we might not be as bad as many of us are fearing

A European night has always been such a huge occasion for the Celtic supporters, yet we are only 45 days from the start of another campaign and seeming to be in a total shambles for such a match, or are we really?
I have long stated that a squad should be assembled on a 343 basis that can allow flexibility to go 541 without the ball and 343 with the ball or even a 3142.
With taking how long it has taken to get a new manager in and we are hardly renowned for getting in players quickly, is a matter of concern as we already know that the CL qualifying is hardly going to be a given match for us. So if we could still field a team
Barkas
Welsh. Jules. Shaw
Soro
Forrest. Bayo

Theres 4 players there no fit to wear the jersey and a few still to prove themselves.Think thats just depressed me even more John 😂

Barkas and Ajeti I believe we are going to be stuck with, so hoping a new manager can bring about a total change in attitude that will improve confidence within the camp, even if I'm not confident on that happening TS.
Only mentioned Bayo as he may have more to offer than Ajeti atm, but still hoping a new striker will be in the ranks before that game along with a few other positions, yet it could be a case of potential players holding back to see what state the club is really in.

So far we have lost Scott Brown who was a stick on last season. Talk is that we will transfer a few players in the next few months. Talk is cheap. In just 6 weeks time we have no idea what our squad will be like when we play a vital game in Europe. Injuries occur all the time. I assume that our manager will decide the playing squad the day before the game. Any player who is given the honour of wearing the hoops has to fill the jersey. To come off knowing that you have given your all.

I confess that I'd be lucky to predict even half our starting lineup.

Football has a few basic principles that never change and that I teach to every youth team that I have ever coached.
1. If we have possession then the opponents cannot score.
2. If the ball is in the other half they cannot score.
3. If we do not shoot on target we cannot score.
4. If our defence does not allow them to shoot on target then they cannot score.
5. The more shots we have on target the more chance there is of scoring. 10 shots on target has twice the chance of scoring as 5 shots.
These 5 truisms at all levels leads us to the conclusion that we have to retain possession, we have to win back possession, we have to prevent opponents taking shots on target and we have to take shots on target.
Statistics show the percentage success rate of scoring from penalty kicks, corners and free kicks. The role of a good coach is to teach players how to increase the success rate for every part of the game. When a wing back crosses a ball into the penalty box what are the odds of conversion? I'd guess only about 8% or less.
What is the best way to take a penalty kick and what is the best way for a keeper to save a penalty kick. The answer will probably surprise you. The best place to kick the ball is where the keeper is currently standing as most keepers will dive to left or right. The best way for the keeper to save a penalty is by encouraging the player to kick the ball towards them.

At a free kick is it best to over the wall, around the wall or under the wall. The best defence tactic is having a player lie down behind the wall to enable the wall to be free to jump. But only if the ball is hit at the wall.

I would train players how to take a long throw in. How to perform a Cruyff turn. How to dribble and nutmeg. How to use both feet. How to explosively sprint for 5 metres. How to back flick and dummy. I'd make them watch videos of Ronaldinho and practice.

The only way to consistently win is by doing the basics well and showing some flashes of genius.

I'm 64 and in 1970 as a 13 year old I was stunned by what i saw Brazil do that i had never seen before. I hung up and old sheet and practised bending the ball around the sheet that was 9 yards away (I knew they would encroach.) for hundreds of hours till it became dark. If I could live my life over i would have practised with my left foot as well! I rehearsed a Cruyff turn for many hours. till i perfected it. At 18 I had the option of professional football player or becoming a professional doctor. By then it was impossible to do both. I chose the latter.

I cannot abide a professional player not aiming for excellence over mediocrity. Not accepting anything other than a win. Never dropping the head if we lose a goal or a player.
Back then teams lined up in 2-3-5 formation and were numbered 1-11. 7 was aways a right winger and 11 was always a left winger. Tactics change and skills evolve. Same old will not suffice.

Last edited:
Barkas
Welsh. Jules. Shaw
Soro
Forrest. Bayo

John thank you for reminding us that in the midst of all the shit we are going through that we still have players who want to play for us. HH

John thank you for reminding us that in the midst of all the shit we are going through that we still have players who want to play for us. HH
No problem mancbhoy, and maybe still players that have more heart and passion given the opportunity, and given far better guidance and instructions on what is expected of them, who's to say that they can't succeed

So far we have lost Scott Brown who was a stick on last season. Talk is that we will transfer a few players in the next few months. Talk is cheap. In just 6 weeks time we have no idea what our squad will be like when we play a vital game in Europe. Injuries occur all the time. I assume that our manager will decide the playing squad the day before the game. Any player who is given the honour of wearing the hoops has to fill the jersey. To come off knowing that you have given your all.

I confess that I'd be lucky to predict even half our starting lineup.

Football has a few basic principles that never change and that I teach to every youth team that I have ever coached.
1. If we have possession then the opponents cannot score.
2. If the ball is in the other half they cannot score.
3. If we do not shoot on target we cannot score.
4. If our defence does not allow them to shoot on target then they cannot score.
5. The more shots we have on target the more chance there is of scoring. 10 shots on target has twice the chance of scoring as 5 shots.
These 5 truisms at all levels leads us to the conclusion that we have to retain possession, we have to win back possession, we have to prevent opponents taking shots on target and we have to take shots on target.
Statistics show the percentage success rate of scoring from penalty kicks, corners and free kicks. The role of a good coach is to teach players how to increase the success rate for every part of the game. When a wing back crosses a ball into the penalty box what are the odds of conversion? I'd guess only about 8% or less.
What is the best way to take a penalty kick and what is the best way for a keeper to save a penalty kick. The answer will probably surprise you. The best place to kick the ball is where the keeper is currently standing as most keepers will dive to left or right. The best way for the keeper to save a penalty is by encouraging the player to kick the ball towards them.

At a free kick is it best to over the wall, around the wall or under the wall. The best defence tactic is having a player lie down behind the wall to enable the wall to be free to jump. But only if the ball is hit at the wall.

I would train players how to take a long throw in. How to perform a Cruyff turn. How to dribble and nutmeg. How to use both feet. How to explosively sprint for 5 metres. How to back flick and dummy. I'd make them watch videos of Ronaldinho and practice.

The only way to consistently win is by doing the basics well and showing some flashes of genius.

I'm 64 and in 1970 as a 13 year old I was stunned by what i saw Brazil do that i had never seen before. I hung up and old sheet and practised bending the ball around the sheet that was 9 yards away (I knew they would encroach.) for hundreds of hours till it became dark. If I could live my life over i would have practised with my left foot as well! I rehearsed a Cruyff turn for many hours. till i perfected it. At 18 I had the option of professional football player or becoming a professional doctor. By then it was impossible to do both. I chose the latter.

I cannot abide a professional player not aiming for excellence over mediocrity. Not accepting anything other than a win. Never dropping the head if we lose a goal or a player.
Back then teams lined up in 2-3-5 formation and were numbered 1-11. 7 was aways a right winger and 11 was always a left winger. Tactics change and skills evolve. Same old will not suffice.
Fis the greatest goal ever scored was Pele In the world Cup final against Italy this was perfection the 2nd was Tommy G against the best defence in Europe. If you watch both goals you will find an extraordinary similarities In both goals. Movement the findings of space and time to get the opportunity to have a shot on goal. This is something that we have sorely missed. Let's hope we get a coach who can expand our abilities to have strikes on target. And not just cut in on your left and try to hit row Z. HH
No problem mancbhoy, and maybe still players that have more heart and passion given the opportunity, and given far better guidance and instructions on what is expected of them, who's to say that they can't succeed
I still think that we have better players and with proper coaching could reach a higher level. Over the years Celtic have had players that were far more entertaining than our rivals I really don't want to mention BR but he took our squad and turned them into true invincibles "domestically". To take this to its conclusions. In 67 we were regarded as massive underdogs, but a team of men proved the world wrong. It may be possible that the total football of the Dutch had its roots in Stein's European champions. HH

Barkas
Welsh. Jules. Shaw
Soro
Forrest. Bayo

John,when you say jules is that jullien your meaning,if so he wont be anywhere near ready to play matches.

Barkas and Ajeti I believe we are going to be stuck with, so hoping a new manager can bring about a total change in attitude that will improve confidence within the camp, even if I'm not confident on that happening TS.
Only mentioned Bayo as he may have more to offer than Ajeti atm, but still hoping a new striker will be in the ranks before that game along with a few other positions, yet it could be a case of potential players holding back to see what state the club is really in.
I tend to agree with you John and my reason is because I believe the board have already given up on this season as regards to winning the league and clearing up the mess the have created for themselves by their deafening silence once again..
So many pessimists talking about Postecoglou taking a season to get the new build up to speed just what the board want to hear..I expect whoever the new manager is to be challenging from the minute he walks through the door not another season down the line..
On hearing the pessimists comments the board can justify not having players in place now but again I find that very strange because it never stopped Lawwell before bringing in new players without first consulting the manager,,Lennon and Rodgers stand testimony to that..
Maybe Bayo will produce the goods mate,only time will tell.

HH.

I tend to agree with you John and my reason is because I believe the board have already given up on this season as regards to winning the league and clearing up the mess the have created for themselves by their deafening silence once again..
So many pessimists talking about Postecoglou taking a season to get the new build up to speed just what the board want to hear..I expect whoever the new manager is to be challenging from the minute he walks through the door not another season down the line..
On hearing the pessimists comments the board can justify not having players in place now but again I find that very strange because it never stopped Lawwell before bringing in new players without first consulting the manager,,Lennon and Rodgers stand testimony to that..

HH.
Again GS, having PL traitor still involved just fills me with fury as how can you trust the bastard in getting in the players required as he has hardly a track record that is impressive of late.
Also would expect to SPFL to take advantage of the situation with making opening fixtures as tricky as possible in trying to aid sevco scum.
But it is also a time for the younger players to step up and make a name for themselves, and still believe many can with a better attitude within the changing room with all the ones who helped to create such a toxic environment, all out of the door.
Would much rather watching a Celtic with pride and passion than a team of non triers who I became hating watching last season.
Our expectations have lower now but still enough with a few decent signings to give us a squad to regain our crown and still be in a position to hopefully make a big impact the following season

HH.
Actually agree with most of what you say GS. I'm usually quite upbeat and positive as we approach a new season. The difference this time is the whole club needs restructuring. Form boardroom to changing room. One way or the other I can't wait to sit on my seat in Paradise. I've already made you a promise to you that if we do turn things round next season I'll buy you a pint. I hope you get the chance to keep me to that. HH.

Actually agree with most of what you say GS. I'm usually quite upbeat and positive as we approach a new season. The difference this time is the whole club needs restructuring. Form boardroom to changing room. One way or the other I can't wait to sit on my seat in Paradise. I've already made you a promise to you that if we do turn things round next season I'll buy you a pint. I hope you get the chance to keep me to that. HH.
Can't see any restructuring taking place all the time PL traitor has any involvement in the club in any capacity whatsoever Frank.
Going to focus my attention more so on the players who I still believe can turn around our fortunes going forward, as can't stay stuck in the detest I feel towards the board atm

Barkas
Welsh. Jules. Shaw
Soro
Forrest. Bayo

TBH only beating deidco this year will be good enough. Europe is a distraction, in my opinion. Anything we get there is a bonus.
The "Aussie Angel" has enough on his plate without throwing Europe into the mix.

I will definitely remind you Frank..

HH

TBH only beating deidco this year will be good enough. Europe is a distraction, in my opinion. Anything we get there is a bonus.
The "Aussie Angel" has enough on his plate without throwing Europe into the mix.
A European run Weedocbhoy would unite the fans and the players,as you know mate there is no better sight or sound than 62000 supporters packed into Parkhead for a European night..

HH

Can't see any restructuring taking place all the time PL traitor has any involvement in the club in any capacity whatsoever Frank.
Going to focus my attention more so on the players who I still believe can turn around our fortunes going forward, as can't stay stuck in the detest I feel towards the
Great attitude John. Don't dwell on it, move on. It will turn in our favour again HH.

Back