Criticism Is Healthy For Celtic. Agree Or Disagree?

It's important for fans to have a say as they are the ones keeping the club alive and if that includes criticism then so be it. There have been many issues that the fans aren't happy with e.g. lack of quality transfers, money flooding in yet not being spent and the lack of fight the board seem to have when it comes to Res 12 e.t.c. How else are Celtic plc going to find out that these same fans won't keep coughing up the dough when they're not happy with the way thing are going. They must be reading the blogs and other sites to gauge the feelings and criticisms of the fans and we have a valid right to voice our concerns. We shall see how things go in the January window but if we don't strengthen then the 10iar will be lost and Peter Lawwell will probably receive more than criticism. HH

Agree. As long as it's constructive criticism and not agenda driven.

With the amount of fake news doing the rounds it's not always easy to determine what's really going on. Personally I believe nothing the main stream media in Scotland tell us unless it's collaborated somewhere reputable.

It's unfortunate but a reality, that some still are influenced by the diatribe spun by the MSM. Too often Traynor writes the script and the majority of the press poodles obediently fall in to line.

It's crystal clear to me that there's a fear of the truth being allowed to be told for it would expose the lies, the bias and the corruption endemic in Scottish Football and there's also a very real fear of the repercussions to anyone acting with integrity in telling the truth.

So, by all means let's criticise Celtic when it's deserved, but let's make sure we are fully informed of all the facts before we do and that we do it in a responsible and truthful way.

Indeed it's a different era regarding news, fake or otherwise and being more aware of how the MSM slant their articles towards a particular group of peepul could be one among many of the reasons the 'dailies' are becoming more obsolete. The fact that so many football fans interact on blogs means that at least they feel as if their opinions count. But not criticism just for the sake of it. HH

As a starting point, I’m sure that nobody on here believes that Peter Lawwell set out to damage Celtic during the transfer window. There will always be tensions around the corporate goals and footballing goals within any club. Nevertheless I and many others believe that we need to see more transparency around how the club is run.
The transfer window was a shambles and we the fans have yet to hear any comment from the board. I doubt that this will be forthcoming...
In any democratic society it is healthy for those in authority to face criticism from those who put up their hard earned cash and expect more so I agree that the board should be held accountable.
It is not enough to hear that Peter and Brendan are at loggerheads and Dermot is going to hold an inquest. The three of them need to be in constant contact before and during the transfer window.
Brendan is not above criticism for the predictable style of play where Plan B seems to be to do Plan A better. Now where have I heard that before?

Criticism is essential! It's part of every fans responsibility to be overseeing what goes on at Celtic Park. The problem is finding the truth amongst all the noise. We have all seen what happens when suited shysters use a football club as their own personal ego stroking machine from that mob over the city. What did the Huns do when their club was being pissed on from great heights? Sat on their scabby arses doing sod all waiting on some fairy sugar daddy to ride along on a white charger to take them by the sash to the promised land. Laziness is unforgivable. We spent years organizating protests, rallies and general awareness and even had to resort to bhoycott of Celtic games to even stand any chance of removing the cancer that was in our boardroom at the time. Every Celtic board should be very aware of who they work for and the consequences of what can happen if they choose to try n play silly buggers. We should ALWAYS be aware of everything that goes on at our club and free to criticize anything that's not for the good of Celtic... or we could end up Gerry Weisfield's what every Celtic fan wants or even Jim Kerr's kettle club... or worse!

I feel Peter Lawwell should handle sponsorships, committee representation outwith Celtic and relevant duties as per sanctioned by the Board.

Where I think there should be a demarcation line is in him handling transfers. It's too easy for him to be accused rightly or wrongly of a conflict of interest in protecting his bonus as things currently stand.

Either the manager is given and accepts this responsibility or we appoint a director of football or the like to perform this role. Possibly even the person responsible for scouting as long as they have a penchant for figures

I personally think the latter two are a better way to go as it allows the manager to concentrate fully on the teams. There would obviously be a predetermined budget allocated to work within.

This way there's clear lines of responsibility and demarcation.

I believe that criticism of our club is justified given the shambolic Transfer window and our poor start to the season.
This season is going the same way that last season went with poor performances and a lack of goals being scored by our players.
The stats don't lie and our team failing to find the net in 10 games from 37 in 2018 is disgraceful.
It does not look good for the season ahead as we have not replaced Armstrong,Dembele or Roberts.
Our Board should take most of the blame for our predicament but the manger also needs to change the way we are currently playing.

If there is no criticism of the club by the fans then the club would never go forward, the board would end up going down the same road as the Kelly and White regime and that can't be allowed to happen.

Criticism is healthy, it’s one way to learn and improve which should be everyone’s goal where Celtic are concerned. I think some people may just see the word “criticism” as a negative when it is anything but if applied evenly and constructively.

The Celtic I grew up supporting were a club who often offered criticism and not just in the obvious sack the board way. Political dissent and charities set up to help those in need are also criticisms of society. And we stick out as a fan base when we do this, in a very positive way (recent pro Palestine demonstrations being another point in this regard). Football itself may be the last true avenue in which people can congregate and get involved politically without the need for special dispensation to do so.

In an era where freedom of speech is somehow, regrettably, up for debate, nothing would please me more than seeing our fan base continue in this fashion. Being critical of ourselves is pivotal if we want to be critical of others, I hope it continues unabated. Maybe it would encourage other sections of society to do the same? You never know but regardless of that, we critique ourselves to make us stronger. I think it’s vital.

BHH

Chris Sutton was getting pelters on here the other week for being critical ....I think he has the best interests of the club at heart whoever he works for tbh. The abuse he got was unreal. Nae wonder people are hesitant to criticise the manager. Though a shit show in Paisly on a Friday night seems to have loosened a few tongues ?

Constructive criticism is always welcome in my world
But the maoning, wailing and gnashing of teeth from armchair 'managers/coaches' gets on my tite
Some former players, seem to have an axe to grind, for reasons known unto themselves
I like Chris Sutton, John Hartson, they tell it, like it is, imho
Celtic, don't always get it right and some 'fans' go into meltdown, after dropping points, slagging players & personnel to the point of distraction, to those people I'd say "Get a grip"
It's one thng to have an opinion, opinions are like bums, everybody has one, but some people need to get a grip and stop being 'sweety wives' and moaning Minnie's
Celtic is a big part of my psyche, as with a lot of people, but at the end of the day, they don't put bread on my table, so a sense of priorities & actual reality is required
HH

If anybody thinks that being a player, a manager or a director exempts them from criticism is deluded.

This is our club and all we ask is they do all in their power to make us better.

The utter abdication of this ethos was there for all to see in the last transfer window which has cost us tens of millions. If anybody thinks this was ok and good stewardship then may I suggest seeking psychiatric intervention.

The board need to step up. The manager needs to stop signing too many players who will never get a game and the players need to be more consistent. If they don’t, then they deserve getting pelters. They represent us. That is a honour, but don’t think it gets you a free pass.

If I could accept I wasn’t good enough to play for my beloved team, I can sure as fuck say the same about others without any feeling of being too critical.

This is Celtic, stand up, take our enemies on or fuck off and get people in who will.

Back