Dead wood and the effects

johnjj004

I commented in another thread that we had been poor with our squad managenent,that transfers out were part as much a part of the job as transfers in,does anyone else think like myself that the size of the squad and the amount of guys with no real prospect of game time could be problematic.

Guys in day in day out not playing, is there a lethargy spreading through the squad not to mention an ever growing wage bill. De vries, Compper, Gamboa, Ralston,Benyu, Allan, Hayes, Kouassi, Christie who is out of contract end of season and normally nowhere near a start but given how poor we've been is getting a few subs appearances.

That's 9 players, it can't be good this amount of players essentially with no futures at the club. I dont have the answers as regards the strategy at the club, not sure if there is one, just feel there's a general malaise at the moment and admit to being worried about planning/direction were heading in.

Just wondered what your thoughts are folks.

It looks like we're overloaded with mediocrity but Compperr couldn't get a job in a call centre without sustaining injury. The bigger question should be "Who is going to buy some of the excess?"
It looks like we're overloaded with mediocrity but Compperr couldn't get a job in a call centre without sustaining injury. The bigger question should be "Who is going to buy some of the excess?"
Yeah i think most will sit tight to end of deals,some amount of money flowing out of club for no return

Yeah you’re spot on mate.

The wage bill/size of the squad is a disgrace.

You’d be as well standing and throwing money out the window.

I said in another post that the most galling thing is that only about 15 players had actually been contributing.

Rodgers obviously doesn’t trust most of the others - he said yesterday he had made too many changes against Hearts and Kilmarnock.

What’s the bloody point in having them then?

Guys like Kouassi and Gamboa seem to get token games every 6 months, and he obviously can’t make his mind up about others either.

On Sunday it was really only Ryan Christie that started(who you wouldn’t call a regular) - unless he’s now telling us he doesn’t rate Hendry or Mulumbu either.

He’s also starting young Mikey Johnston, who I don’t think is quite ready yet, over Hayes and Morgan.

Rodgers contradicts himself a lot, and uses stats to back up his arguments, but bottom line is the recruitment has been brutal.

I heard about 6 months ago that Lawwell wanted the squad trimmed, the problem is getting rid of average players.

Thankfully a good few are out of contact in June.

Lustig is one of our top earners on about 24k per week, well he’s been rotten for the last 3 years.

We’d be as well just saying to guys like Scott Allan and Dorus DeVries to stay in their bed because they are wasting a space on the training field.

The place needs gutted, a top right back, a top left sided centre half, and a target man type striker brought in, possibly another midfielder too.

Oh I’m enjoying the forum guys!

The fact that Brendan keeps chopping and changing the line-up points to him not knowing who is best team is. Of course when players like Sinclair fail to achieve anything of note it makes life difficult for any manager. Too many just aren't good enough for Celtic and the good players we already have are just not switched on this season.

I agree with several of the other excellent posts. Football players have a different lifestyle to most people, however if you are not turning up for work then you get paid off.

Realistically Marvin Compper will not play football in the near future - just like Mr Boerrigter didn't play and admitted he only hung around for the wages. So why has Compper been allowed to stay ? Dorus de Vries will not play again either and is still being paid a decent salary, there are various others also that come in to this category. Celtic FC have a recruitment manager, Lee Congerton, who in my opinion is not doing his job and should be told to jog on. But it wont happen, somethings really have to change within the structure of Celtic, or we are constantly going to be paying millions out every year for people that are not earning their wages.

For example, We currently have three Right backs at the Club, (Ralston, Gamboa, Luistig) with rumours that Brendan wanted a 4th from Portugal...surely that is not good squad management? As far as I'm concerned , BR has now two squads to choose from: One squad of players to pick from for each game, then a Second bloated squad to pull a token piece of deadwood from when ever he's stuck for numbers. I really shudder to think the outlay on fees and wages for Compeer, Hayes, Kouassi, De Vries, Benyu, Scott Allan, Hendry, Gamboa. He seems to have made up his mind mind that he is not going play Arzani anytime soon so whys he here? That is almost a full team of players who will never see a match day squad let alone the first team. Surely this can't continue?

Back