Do you trust the Board?

50/50 If Lawwell wasn’t there I would say yes but he’s a Jonah A great business man but he takes too much to do with the actual team workings and his penny pinching makes me want to punch some sense into him Speculate to accumulate is not a saying he’s on nodding terms with

I have my reservation. That reservation is called Peter Lawell. Will the appointment be used to get back to his preferred position of a less than independent operating manager? It may be too good an opportunity for him to miss. Once a controller always a controller?

Does it matter? Will it change anything if I say yay or nay ? Truth is, in my lifetime of supporting our club, there have been periods when I've questioned the activities of the board in control at that particular time. Especially pre- Fergus!
Disclosure here, apart from the disastrous loss of the ten, I'm not too unhappy with the way our club is run. That particular season, in my humble opinion, the club suffered a monumental collective failure.
If we're looking for an example of how NOT to run a football club, then, look no further than the new club from Ibrox.

I guess it's all about opinions, and like I say, I'm not always in agreement with their decisions. But my goodness, again since The Liberator, ( Fergus ) came on the scene, times have been beyond simply good. They have been extraordinarily wonderful.

Do I trust the Board ? Wow ...such a simple question but ...

As a collective I have some reservations . As individuals , mostly I have little knowledge of them so find it hard to make a judgement .

Dermott Desmond is the power-broker , filthy rich and definitely not someone I would like to do business with . Does he have Celtic's best interests at heart ? I am 60/40 on that one .

Peter Lawwell is an astute financial man who has been , on the whole , good for the club . My impression , however, is that over the years he has been allowed too much say in certain aspects of the running of the club . One need only think of the ''Second Coming '' of Neil Lennon , supposedly in the showers at Hampden ( another reason to despise that monstrosity of a stadium ) .
A colossal mistake which cost us dearly - although according to Lennon NOTHING that happened in the Covid Year at the club was down to him .

Then there is the Five Way Agreement ! Enough said !

In my view , the present incumbent in Pistol Pete's CEO chair has done nothing but good as he has supported Ange's team build ( did he have any alternative ? ) to the extent that we have won 5/6 trophies in two seasons . Will he be as supportive of the New Manager ? Fingers and toes crossed !

The only other board member I have a view on is Brian Wilson , whom I detest !

So ...do I trust The Board ? Ask me in 12 months time when all the trophies for next season have been allocated .

HH

Does it matter? Will it change anything if I say yay or nay ? Truth is, in my lifetime of supporting our club, there have been periods when I've questioned the activities of the board in control at that particular time. Especially pre- Fergus!
Disclosure here, apart from the disastrous loss of the ten, I'm not too unhappy with the way our club is run. That particular season, in my humble opinion, the club suffered a monumental collective failure.
If we're looking for an example of how NOT to run a football club, then, look no further than the new club from Ibrox.

I guess it's all about opinions, and like I say, I'm not always in agreement with their decisions. But my goodness, again since The Liberator, ( Fergus ) came on the scene, times have been beyond simply good. They have been extraordinarily wonderful.
Its a funny thing being a Celtic fan Frank.

We've never had more success but we still get questions like these.
There are a lot of things they have got bob-on and a shitload of things wrong.

We are rampant domestically and have been since Ronnie left, barring that year and long may it continue. Following on from the dark period that started with the night of the pitchforks, through to Ange being appointed, the board were under intense scrutiny and pressure. But since that away win in Aberdeen, they have been pretty much forgotten about.

If we had a manager that won 11 trophies as a player and 10 as a manger but was run out of town by our own supporters, feck knows what it will be like if an outsider gets it wrong.

They got Ange spot on and they know their next managerial decision lays the foundation for the atmosphere surrounding our Club next year and into the future.

Usually no. But have to admit, last 2 seasons they have done everything right IMO. We knew we were losing a world cup playing RB and we already had a world cup playing RB in door. They have funded the team well. They have ensured that signings were made early. They spent big on big players. I hope that continues 🙏

We really have to ditch this romantic paranoia - why would the Board want any thing but the best for the club. The success we have enjoyed this century is remarkable and we should enjoy that. Board imho is better for Bankier gone and Peter Lawell in his place. Its exciting times - new manager, new players joining a talented young squad, CL - lets just enjoy that.

I certainly don't believe any of the events over the last few weeks can be blamed on our board. I think they were as surprised as us at Anges actions. They have backed him 100%. They had given him full control and he has spit it back in their faces.
I don't think we will see a manager come in quick, as I don't believe the board have a shortlist written up. Ange was all in only a month ago!!

A board's primary role is to safeguard the interests of the shareholders. Ideally this should align with the fans as usually the more successful the operations (the actual playing fitba) then this should please the shareholders, as usually more success/trophies means more financial reward to them.

I've said before that I think Lawwell has been very good at much of what he did over the years with the running of the club. BUT his major flaw was when he performed the duties as Director of Football (indeed a couple of new signings admitted that this was how he portrayed himself in contract negotiations), and his interference in player selection and dithering as he tried to scrimp and save for very affordable players who would have made us stronger caused us unnecessary problems.

Instead of investing early in specified players he waiting to see what scraps were available at the last minute often AFTER it was too bloody late and we'd missed out on lucrative European paydays - the last couple of seasons have emphasised how this can be very successful. I hope we don't return to those days now fannybaws is back calling the shots. I always got the impression that Lawwell only wanted to finish a couple of points ahead of sevco rather than really go all out to do the best we could possibly achieve.

Do I trust them? Well we have enjoyed our most successful period in our history - but I suspect that was often despite their decision making rather than because of it (that may be unfair) - so I should have absolute faith in their ability and intentions. But the reality is that I have some serious reservations. This summer will give a strong indication as to whether we return to the bad old ways or continue in the more appealing recent ways. I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they feck it up again.

I think in the last 15years on the footballing side of things, the board have let us down twice...first time was not coughing up for McGinn ( if the internet is to be believed) second time was not replacing Rodgers and taking their eye off things a bit circa covid...other than that, they have done a tremendous job if truth be told..17 out if the last 22 titles and 6 trebles in 22 years is proof of that....a few wobbles with the fans but on the whole they will do for me....it goes against the popular narrative but it's how I see it

shocked and surprised

:rolleyes:all very good points but as long as PL is in the building ,,,,,,it's still naw

no matter how many cups and titles

For a guy who claimed to have never read the 5 way agreement , got to be the most important document that came about after 2012

who also stitched up the Resolution 12 fellas after all the evidence they gathered ,then left them leave them hanging in the wind

A guy who as he said had folders in his desk drawer but ignored them to go with the cheapest option which was Lennon in the most important season

has worked his way back onto the board ,,,,he never left

untill he goes then naw will never trust them ,,,,ever

Back