Don't Panic

Spherical Planet

Like most everyone of a Celtic persuasion, I've been thinking (a lot) about what this season holds for us and what would be an acceptable outcome.

We analysed last season into a million different pieces and we've apportioned blame where we felt blame was due. Personally, I don't think anyone from the boardroom down to the dressing room covered themselves in glory. The media and the officials didn't help the cause, but when did they ever?

Recruitment is going to be critical this season. We need fresh faces and we need them to hit the ground running; however - it may need another season to consolidate and to determine a style of football that's going to bring us success longer term. I hope that Ange won't be hamstrung in trying to recruit his preferred options, but I also hope we don't follow follow the hun method of throwing other peepulls money at the problem and hoping that some desperate club will toss them a bone with a big incoming transfer fee or Champions League money.

I'm guessing that it's going to be difficult for Celtic to make firm bids until they know what monies may be coming into the club, I'm also fairly sure that any outgoing player may make their particular position a new priority for transfer targets.

I don't know what the financial landscape with that mob looks like. Frankly, I don't really care. If their debt is unsustainable - then their debtors will no doubt be circling before another economic crisis deprives them of proper financial remedy.

The bottom line is that we shouldn't panic and just throw even more good money after all the bad.

With the necessary attitude adjustment, preparation, coaching, management and some other tweaks - there is still the basis of a strong team at Celtic and Ange's job is as much about reinvigorating the existing talent than it is bringing in a whole group of new players.

I think we might have to bite it a bit this season though. We find ourselves short on time again and while that itself was avoidable, it's not anything we can plant at Postecoglou's or McKay's door.

It might take two or three months to implement his methods and to decide upon his best team (and that includes the coaching staff), but I'm hopeful that we'll move up through the gears by New Year and be ready to challenge. The secret is in winning the games we should be winning and winning them in any way or fashion. It might be scrappy, it might be lucky, it might not always be great to look at, but there's still no good reason why we shouldn't win the vast majority of our domestic games either home or away.

That still might not be enough, but we've had fallow seasons before and we can't get hung up on what that mob do, but to focus on the best way forward for Celtic.

I believe that if we only have the players we have right now, then we can still challenge for the title. I believe with four or five coming in and two or three going out, we can still be challenging for the title, just as long as they're not panic buys or desperation punts.

Cool heads usually prevail in the most trying of circumstances, so I hope we can be patient, stay frosty and let our quality fully shine.

In summation: I think the league cup and Champions League might come too soon for us this season, so I'll happily settle for a league and Scottish cup double.

Like most everyone of a Celtic persuasion, I've been thinking (a lot) about what this season holds for us and what would be an acceptable outcome.

We analysed last season into a million different pieces and we've apportioned blame where we felt blame was due. Personally, I don't think anyone from the boardroom down to the dressing room covered themselves in glory. The media and the officials didn't help the cause, but when did they ever?

Recruitment is going to be critical this season. We need fresh faces and we need them to hit the ground running; however - it may need another season to consolidate and to determine a style of football that's going to bring us success longer term. I hope that Ange won't be hamstrung in trying to recruit his preferred options, but I also hope we don't follow follow the hun method of throwing other peepulls money at the problem and hoping that some desperate club will toss them a bone with a big incoming transfer fee or Champions League money.

I'm guessing that it's going to be difficult for Celtic to make firm bids until they know what monies may be coming into the club, I'm also fairly sure that any outgoing player may make their particular position a new priority for transfer targets.

I don't know what the financial landscape with that mob looks like. Frankly, I don't really care. If their debt is unsustainable - then their debtors will no doubt be circling before another economic crisis deprives them of proper financial remedy.

The bottom line is that we shouldn't panic and just throw even more good money after all the bad.

With the necessary attitude adjustment, preparation, coaching, management and some other tweaks - there is still the basis of a strong team at Celtic and Ange's job is as much about reinvigorating the existing talent than it is bringing in a whole group of new players.

I think we might have to bite it a bit this season though. We find ourselves short on time again and while that itself was avoidable, it's not anything we can plant at Postecoglou's or McKay's door.

It might take two or three months to implement his methods and to decide upon his best team (and that includes the coaching staff), but I'm hopeful that we'll move up through the gears by New Year and be ready to challenge. The secret is in winning the games we should be winning and winning them in any way or fashion. It might be scrappy, it might be lucky, it might not always be great to look at, but there's still no good reason why we shouldn't win the vast majority of our domestic games either home or away.

That still might not be enough, but we've had fallow seasons before and we can't get hung up on what that mob do, but to focus on the best way forward for Celtic.

I believe that if we only have the players we have right now, then we can still challenge for the title. I believe with four or five coming in and two or three going out, we can still be challenging for the title, just as long as they're not panic buys or desperation punts.

Cool heads usually prevail in the most trying of circumstances, so I hope we can be patient, stay frosty and let our quality fully shine.

In summation: I think the league cup and Champions League might come too soon for us this season, so I'll happily settle for a league and Scottish cup double.
A league and cup double SP ? I too would happily settle for that, but sadly, I don't see it happening as things stand. Do we really have the players at Celtic right now to challenge for the title ? Again, I just don't share your confidence. For me we are weak in ALL defensive positions. Our keepers are suspect, our fullbacks are poor, and our centre backs miss far too many balls into our box.

I don't expect too much this season, the rebuild ahead is simply massive. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to Celtic Park and supporting the team, but our new gaffer is going to need us all to show patience and give him the time he needs to get on with the job.

if there's any room for optimism it's only because we play our football in what is a very poor league and the team which finished 25 points above us are really not that good. 25 points though ? What does that say about us ? I hope with all my heart your optimism bears fruit. But I'm going to finish by quoting a line from your very enjoyable post........."I think we might have to bite it a bit this season though " HH

I don't think we have to worry about just them. Fact of the matter is we dropped points against plenty others last season, while they went unbeaten. Draws kill you in a 3 points for a win system. We need to cut them out.
I'll settle for a better style of football and less of the negative crap. Ok all teams have to pass back or sideways at times and sometimes teams sit in and defend en mass against us, but that's always been the case. Last year we just lost the ability to unlock defences.
We lacked ideas and players shrank against taking responsibility. There was a brief glimmer of hope with the arrival of Turnbull and Soro on the scene. That was quickly snuffed out as Soro was benched and the creative edge to Turnbull seemed to be coached out of him.
I hope AP can turn this around, confidence seems to be returning. A couple of good signings will make all the difference.
Europe will be incredibly difficult as it's zooming towards us and the Griffiths situation has put us even further back.
We need a massive slice of good fortune to get through the 1st qualy.
A league and Cup double is too much to hope for, I'd like the league, but we'll see.
Oh and Broonys Aberdeen will be a handful too, for us and them.

I agree SP there is still not a cause to panic, but the frustration is growing by the day.
I think most supporters would put the league as there priority and rightly so.
It looks like we have already given up on a CL place at the slow rate we remain stuck in with player recruitment.
To win a league, consistency is key and we don't want to be dropping silly points early on and having to play catch up.
A settled defence helps grow confidence throughout a whole team, when you feel safe in the knowledge that soft goals aren't going to be handed up, and we still remain well short still in this department which is scandalous imo.
I still remain confident enough that we have enough creative players within our ranks if Ange can create a much better system of play for there talents to shine through.
Griff has infuriated me yet again and now goalscorers we are seriously lacking with eddy expected to depart.
Got no expectations upon next season yet would remain very disappointed if the league at least wasn't achieved.
Can we still win the league?
I believe so, even though a few positions remain a huge concern.
Get in the players to address this instead of letting the frustrations grow which seems to be in play at the moment.
Easy solution, yet we still seem hell bent on wanting to make the whole process far more complicated than it needs to be imo

A league and cup double SP ? I too would happily settle for that, but sadly, I don't see it happening as things stand. Do we really have the players at Celtic right now to challenge for the title ? Again, I just don't share your confidence. For me we are weak in ALL defensive positions. Our keepers are suspect, our fullbacks are poor, and our centre backs miss far too many balls into our box.

I don't expect too much this season, the rebuild ahead is simply massive. I'm very much looking forward to getting back to Celtic Park and supporting the team, but our new gaffer is going to need us all to show patience and give him the time he needs to get on with the job.

if there's any room for optimism it's only because we play our football in what is a very poor league and the team which finished 25 points above us are really not that good. 25 points though ? What does that say about us ? I hope with all my heart your optimism bears fruit. But I'm going to finish by quoting a line from your very enjoyable post........."I think we might have to bite it a bit this season though " HH
I was being a tad facetious with the league and cup double, Frank, but I believe we can be competitive if the right adjustments are made.

I don't think decent enough players become terrible unless there are other underlying reasons, so I'm hopeful that a student of the game can identify the reasons why so many players underperformed at the same time and work towards solving that problem.

There are definitely problem areas that need attention and some of those can only be remedied by investment, but by-the-by - if players like Calmac, Turnbull, Soro, Jullien, and others are playing at 90% of their levels, then they are still better than almost anything that anyone else has to offer. I've left Ajer, Christie and Edouard out of the equation, as my gut feeling tells me that they'll be walking soon. Ange then has to look at what value N'tcham and Bolingoli can bring. Can he motivate them, improve them and implement them into the way he wants to play?

Still more questions than answers at the moment, but I'm still kinda hopeful that the gap isn't nearly as wide as we might fear it is. Brim makes a really valid point about performances against the other 10, but we were so easy to play against last season and didn't have any other plan to break opponents down. The irony being, that plan A would have been effective enough if it was played at pace and with the proper movement off and on the ball.

I'm a dreamer by nature, but I'm also a realist. I'm not sure there's going to be an overnight transformation, but if we battle through the first few months and still in punching range, then we know from experience that lot are brittle under pressure.

Last year, we slept walked into a horror movie. And made no effort to extricate ourselves from it.

Links with multiple players, I can understand.

Failure to secure at least one or two of them, I have difficulty with.

We have seen what this failure has caused us. Loss of a decent player, huge add on value, supporter disillusionment.

This smacks of more of the same.

There is something chronically wrong that needs immediate addressing.

Surely our negotiators are capable of securing some targets.

We will be playing for £30 million plus guaranteed in Champions League revenue.

I know, we face competition for players,
dreadful image of the Scottish League,
wage structure issues, etc.

But we are not talking about a Messi, Ronaldo, Chiellini or their ilk. We want commited, hungry, solid, capable players, who can do this job.

Are we going to sleep walk into the sequel of the horror movie?

Or, is the cynic in me, really witnessing part 2 of the 'Old Firm' revival strategy ?

Last edited:
I was being a tad facetious with the league and cup double, Frank, but I believe we can be competitive if the right adjustments are made.

I don't think decent enough players become terrible unless there are other underlying reasons, so I'm hopeful that a student of the game can identify the reasons why so many players underperformed at the same time and work towards solving that problem.

There are definitely problem areas that need attention and some of those can only be remedied by investment, but by-the-by - if players like Calmac, Turnbull, Soro, Jullien, and others are playing at 90% of their levels, then they are still better than almost anything that anyone else has to offer. I've left Ajer, Christie and Edouard out of the equation, as my gut feeling tells me that they'll be walking soon. Ange then has to look at what value N'tcham and Bolingoli can bring. Can he motivate them, improve them and implement them into the way he wants to play?

Still more questions than answers at the moment, but I'm still kinda hopeful that the gap isn't nearly as wide as we might fear it is. Brim makes a really valid point about performances against the other 10, but we were so easy to play against last season and didn't have any other plan to break opponents down. The irony being, that plan A would have been effective enough if it was played at pace and with the proper movement off and on the ball.

I'm a dreamer by nature, but I'm also a realist. I'm not sure there's going to be an overnight transformation, but if we battle through the first few months and still in punching range, then we know from experience that lot are brittle under pressure.
We're both dreamers SP, and long may that continue. If we are as good in this transfer window as we were bad during the last several, then we maybe have a chance. Huge improvement needed in that particular department.HH

Last season we were without

Forrest
Julien
Johnson
half fit Eddie
Griffiths

We waited too long to give others game time and let them settle quickly
Turnbull
Sorro
Ralston

We never allowed rest time
Cal Mac

We paused over potential want aways
Ayer
Christie
Ntcham

They should have been dealt with straight away, we could have persisted with young Henderson and other youngsters and give them promises of performance v keep the jersey

Stupid loans
Big Duffy
Laxalt
Moi

Fk sake SP!! I'm 71yo, do I have enough time to read all this?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last year, we slept walked into a horror movie. And made no effort to extricate ourselves from it.

Links with multiple players, I can understand.

Failure to secure at least one or two of them, I have difficulty with.

We have seen what this failure has caused us. Loss of a decent player, huge add on value, supporter disillusionment.

This smacks of more of the same.

There is something chronically wrong that needs immediate addressing.

Surely our negotiators are capable of securing some targets.

We will be playing for £30 million plus guaranteed in Champions League revenue.

I know, we face competition for players,
dreadful image of the Scottish League,
wage structure issues etc.

But we are not talking about a Messi, Ronaldo, Chiellini or their ilk. We want commited, hungry, solid, capable players, who can do this job.

Are we going to sleep walk into the sequel of the horror movie?

Or is the cynic in me witnessing part 2 of the 'Old Firm' revival strategy ?
Cast your mind back 12 months. We had signed Barkas for 5m, Ajeti 4.5m
secured Duffy on loan for 12 months (I know I know) Turnbull 3.5m we had Eli on loan again and Laxalt.
Ok ok out of that lot only Turnbull looks good business but hindsight's wonderful thing. I was fairly optimistic at the time and thought we had spent well. How wrong was I?
I still think those players could have worked out well for us but there was discontent in the camp that wasn't addressed, Edouard, Ntcham, Christie, all wanted a move and should have been gone, bad apples and all that.
Also a manager and backroom team not prepared for a resurgent therangers, no plan B and unwilling to try different players till it was forced on them by injury.

So now we are in the opposite situation this year. 11 days to go and 2 kids signed from Sheff Wed, Griff shooting him and us in the foot, same goalkeepers, same wantaways, but a new Manager.

What's not to like?

Edit... Same Kennedy, same Strachan might I add.😡

Last edited:
Last season, there was a lot of unchecked cheating going on, referees, no penalties and no sending offs, till after the league was won, huns not having ANY Covid-19 cases thanks to the east Belfast testing laboratory, SFA, SNP turning a blind eye to their rule braking parties whilst punishing us, hope our new CEO has big enough balls to call all these thing out if they happen again next season 😡

I also don't think we shouldn't underestimate the effects this new European conference league may have an impact upon our own Scottish league either SP.
Although I would still say it would be an embarrassment to end up playing European games at third division level, it still provides a greater opportunity for the diddy clubs to play within the European stage and increase there turnover and maybe attract more players to the league in general.
This split was only really put in place to create competition with 2 extra games against us and the stinkeys.
Now with European football a real prospect on offer, for so many extra clubs, I think the competition will increase from now on.

Last season, there was a lot of unchecked cheating going on, referees, no penalties and no sending offs, till after the league was won, huns not having ANY Covid-19 cases thanks to the east Belfast testing laboratory, SFA, SNP turning a blind eye to their rule braking parties whilst punishing us, hope our new CEO has big enough balls to call all these thing out if they happen again next season 😡
You just got me thinking, IF the same things happened again, I.e the different punishments meted out for the same offence re: covid, could we threaten the SPFL/SFA with legal action? or is it the case we are signed up for them to govern us any way they deem fit?

I think the crucial thing this season is that Ange is given time to instil his philosophy and tactics into the team. As a group they regressed under the previous regime. If Ange is the right man for the job he will get them progressive again. I want to see young players coming through and given the time to flourish. I couldn't care less about cups and to a lesser degree Europe. Europe is a potential source of revenue so it's a great bonus but cups bring in much less money and have little other real world value. The League is the be all and end all; I wish we could get Lars Ulrich to sponsor it because nothing else matters but Lars, the hoor, is watching Wimbledon.
I sincerely hope they don't qualify for the CL and the board honestly pursue the League this season. Automatic CL next season would fully restore the natural order.

I think the crucial thing this season is that Ange is given time to instil his philosophy and tactics into the team. As a group they regressed under the previous regime. If Ange is the right man for the job he will get them progressive again. I want to see young players coming through and given the time to flourish. I couldn't care less about cups and to a lesser degree Europe. Europe is a potential source of revenue so it's a great bonus but cups bring in much less money and have little other real world value. The League is the be all and end all; I wish we could get Lars Ulrich to sponsor it because nothing else matters but Lars, the hoor, is watching Wimbledon.
I sincerely hope they don't qualify for the CL and the board honestly pursue the League this season. Automatic CL next season would fully restore the natural order.
If Lars Ulrich sponsors it, could we Enter Sandman as the PR man?

Members online

Latest posts

Back