Earthquakes in Scotland?

lcafiero

What's shakin'? As a Californian, I have set up on my email -- like probably everyone else in the state -- a notice to be sent whenever there's an earthquake anywhere in the world that is over 2.5 on the Richter Scale. It's a service provided by our friends as the U.S. Geological Survey, which monitors earthquakes worldwide.

Apparently Tuesday morning at around 1 your time, there was a quake measuring 3.1 on the Richter scale -- but it only got a 2.9 from the East German judge (a standard California joke) -- 17 miles west-northwest of a place called Lochgilphead on the West Coast of Scotland, at a depth of 10 kilometers (that matters, the deeper it is, the weaker it is on the surface).

Just curious - anyone feel it?

What's shakin'? As a Californian, I have set up on my email -- like probably everyone else in the state -- a notice to be sent whenever there's an earthquake anywhere in the world that is over 2.5 on the Richter Scale. It's a service provided by our friends as the U.S. Geological Survey, which monitors earthquakes worldwide.

Apparently Tuesday morning at around 1 your time, there was a quake measuring 3.1 on the Richter scale -- but it only got a 2.9 from the East German judge (a standard California joke) -- 17 miles west-northwest of a place called Lochgilphead on the West Coast of Scotland, at a depth of 10 kilometers (that matters, the deeper it is, the weaker it is on the surface).

I've driven up to Lochgilphead Larry, it's in the wilds of Argyllshire, about 80 miles from Glasgow
Probably the most exciting thing to happen there since the invention of sliced bread

As I have a keen interest in geology, these thing always interest me, they always seem to happen at night and I always sleep though them 🤣
It’s movement of the highland fault line that runs diagonally across the middle to top half of the country, that’s formed the great glen and Loch Ness, we normally get 2-3 very small tremor’s a year, but that one was as big as we get here 👍

I had wind and I farted it measured 4.3 on the Shitker scale Larry but it wisnae me

HH 💨

The earth didn't move for me Larry. 🙄

Did ye know that the Richter scale works on a non linear scale. Every 1 on the Richter scale is multiplied by 33. 2 on the Richter scale is 33 times the power of 1.
I just saw something recently about the worlds oldest earthquake monitoring station. Its in a wee croft in the Highlands. Modern geology was developed in Scotland by a guy called James Hutton.

Did ye know that the Richter scale works on a non linear scale. Every 1 on the Richter scale is multiplied by 33. 2 on the Richter scale is 33 times the power of 1.
I just saw something recently about the worlds oldest earthquake monitoring station. Its in a wee croft in the Highlands. Modern geology was developed in Scotland by a guy called James Hutton.
Would that mean if we measured cheating on a Sevco Scale it would be 55 times the power of 1?

Modern geology was developed in Scotland by a guy called James Hutton.
I was visiting Edinburgh Uni yesterday to discuss new lab analysis techniques for hydrogen storage (which will be needed as they need to produce hydrogen for fuel from green energy as it can't cope with the peaks and troughs of normal energy consumption - you'll hear about it in 10-20 years time when you need to get new boilers, cookers, heaters, etc).

This is where James Hutton was lecturer and they still have his desk & office as the Geosicence building also has many museum exhibits. Although he is hardly known in Scotland he is considered one of our greatest scientists and on a par with the likes of Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton and Stephen Hawkins who are associated with other branches of science.

It was just Morelos falling out of bed

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back