Euro '88, Celts Star for the Green Giant Killers - A great day for the Irish as England are beaten

Another excellent article from Matt Corr, looking at The Celtic players who starred for Ireland at the Euros in West Germany in 1988.

https://thecelticstar.com/euro-88-c...reat-day-for-the-irish-as-england-are-beaten/

View attachment 3095

I mind my brother got the silky green sheen republic top, mum was out so he thought he’d iron it and burnt the full shadow of the iron right fkn through it.

He was distraught but i couldn’t move for laughing at his petted lip over his fkn stupidity.

???

My Da gave me a choice in the qualifying campaign. You're either in, or agin.

I always regarded myself as Scottish and regularly qualifying for World Cups reinforced that. Up until that era, the only Irish players of note were Liam Brady, Frank Stapleton, Johnny Giles and Eammon feckin Dunphy.

I thought I was going to be able to jump on the bandwagon in 88, but my Ma, Da and family weren't having it. They all had a huge festa up at my Grandpa's, while me and a couple of my cousins had to watch it on our own (they let us in for the Russisn and Dutch games though. Marco Van Basten got goal of the tournament but Ronnie Whelan's against Russis beat it all ends up).

I remember the pre-match TV stuff and the usual English condescending pish, but I also remember the cameras on the Englisg team bus and Kenny Sansom doing his impressions. I knew then Ireland were going to win because they were in "just turn up" mode.

The huns wanted to sign him and he told Souness to do one his brothers were all regulars at CP.
View attachment 3097
Loved that kit, Boab.......FIFA told Adidas that the three stripes down the arms was over advertising, so none of the Adidas kits had that and they looked better because there were no spaghetti arms.

No sure what kind of substances they were on when they were doing the American kit, but it was still pretty decent.

Ray Houghton might have scored the goal, but Tommy Coyne ran throughout the whole game in ridiculous heat and never gave them a minutes peace.

Franco Baresi was injured for that game, but he must have watched Paul McGrath. Best defensive performance I've ever seen.

Loved that kit, Boab.......FIFA told Adidas that the three stripes down the arms was over advertising, so none of the Adidas kits had that and they looked better because there were no spaghetti arms.

No sure what kind of substances they were on when they were doing the American kit, but it was still pretty decent.

Ray Houghton might have scored the goal, but Tommy Coyne ran throughout the whole game in ridiculous heat and never gave them a minutes peace.

Franco Baresi was injured for that game, but he must have watched Paul McGrath. Best defensive performance I've ever seen.
Im sure i played against Tommys boy years ago,think he was a goalie

Members online

Latest posts

Back