FIFA's grossly unfair world cup qualification.

Winter

Some of the best sides we've ever seen have come from the South Americas no-one can argue with that.
With Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil all with multiple titles.
However when you look at the South American qualification group and realise ( as i have done) this is what you get.

Screenshot_20231117_190709_OneFootball.jpg

1700248165908.png

Apologies I couldn't fit in all 10 nations.
10 nations from South America of which 6 shall qualify automatically and 7th place currently Paraguay shall get a play off against some Asian, African or Oceania nation making it likely that 7of10 South Americans shall qualify .
I mean that's really fair right?
Other parts of the world have good teams too , when I looked at the African qualification schedule I'm like wtf?
9 groups A--I of 6 nations , that's 54 nations but only 9 shall qualify and I think that will also be a record for number of African nations taking part.

This is farcical, and I remember a time when Europe was in the firing range for having too many nations represented.
Now it appears ( though plans gave chopped and changed) UEFAs nations will have 55 competing for 16 places.

This is unacceptable and the world cup shall be spread over Canada, USA and Mexico, so make sure if you're going to have travel plans sorted because if you're France say, you could start in Eastern Canada, move to the south of the US and then Mexico before reaching the ¼finals , ridiculous idea. One country , two adjoining neighbours at max should host the tournament and this means 3 automatic host entries? No I instantly don't like it.

South America, to have 60% of their nations guaranteed qualification is way out of date, 70% if 7th placed of 10 wins a play off, when the rest have over 40 nations competing. Something must be done , I'm going to write to my MP about this corruption , who's that again? Nicola Sturgeon ? Mibbee not. AAAARRRGGHH!! 🤬

Brazil lost a home world cup qualifier for the first time ever as Argentina beat them 0-1. It is their third loss in a row (they had never lost consecutive qualifiers until the previous match) and they are now sitting in the last automatic qualification spot. Again Brazilian riot polis waded into the Argentine fans with night-sticks battering everyone they came across, so got pelted with seats for their efforts.

1700658414957.png

Brazil lost a home world cup qualifier for the first time ever as Argentina beat them 0-1. It is their third loss in a row (they had never lost consecutive qualifiers until the previous match) and they are now sitting in the last automatic qualification spot. Again Brazilian riot polis waded into the Argentine fans with night-sticks battering everyone they came across, so got pelted with seats for their efforts.

View attachment 24381
I've seen the videos Bridie, shockingly disturbing scenes of the copper with the big black rod, I was going to say baton, but batons are meant to be light coshes and what the copper was wielding was easily 3 ft and took effort to swing it.
Saw martinez the argies goalie trying to get into the crowd and get to that copper who was indiscriminately just swinging and coshing anyone Argentine in the vicinity.
Disgraceful scenes, terrible positioning also of the Argentinian supporters, placed dead center ( from what I could tell) behind one of the goals with Brazilians flanking them on both sides, and knowing this is a tinderbox fixture beforehand.
If this happens in Europe the host nation faces suspension or certainly closed door matches, so it will be interesting to see what ( if any) punishment is handed out by the South American authorities, CONMEBOL I think? and FIFA.
I won't be holding my breath though , FIFA punishing Brazil? FIFA's golden nation or the world champions?

All of the craziest moments from Argentina’s history-making win away to Brazil via @Onefootball.

Only shows so much
The Argentinian players' families were in amongst that crowd - that is why the players were getting so agitated.

This is on the back of Boca Juniors fans being ambushed by Fluminense on Copacabana beach before the Copa Libertadores Final a couple of weeks back, while the Brazilian Police stood by watching it before wading into them as well.

The Argentinian players' families were in amongst that crowd - that is why the players were getting so agitated.

This is on the back of Boca Juniors fans being ambushed by Fluminense on Copacabana beach before the Copa Libertadores Final a couple of weeks back, while the Brazilian Police stood by watching it before wading into them as well.

It would appear that the Brazilian riot squad are more than happy to have the Argentines in the country for a game of football, but also for a " free" cosh at anyone Argentinian or with them, take all your stress out on those Argentines " said chief inspector Brazil ( I could imagine).
Those coppers were in their element, swinging big coshes and you can see it in their faces, they're enjoying themselves beating the living sh*t out of their rivals supporters. You say the players families and friends were in that supposed to be segregated section?
Then no wonder Martinez was keen to stop the copper , I'd not have been surprised had martinez also been coshed for getting in the way.
England v Scotland, Brazil v Argentina, both volatile fixtures before the games kicked off.

When England v Scotland ( oldest international fixture in world football) was experiencing England fans run amock in Glasgow or Scottish fans causing it at Wembley or trafalgar Square both FA"s stepped in and all but banned the fixture all together.
What was once a yearly fixture was reduced to tournament meetings only.
Will we see the same in South America?
Zero chance of that happening imo, the world champions and FIFA's pin ups Brazil, punishment you say?
Nah we say, half a million Brazilian reais and half a million Argentine) pesos , to be paid in cash us dollars $$$ to the bank of FIFA, token payment to CONMEBOL.

Last edited:
Having had a go at CONMEBOL ( s. Americas Uefa to us) and the automatic 6 from 10 automatic qualifying system +1 playboff position , 7 from 10 can qualify albeit different as it is world cup qualification .
However that spark of grey matter had me looking at Germany Euros '24 qualification system. And tbh every nation is being given every chance for qualification.
With all directly qualified nations now named, ourattention turns to the play offs and this is where my problems are.

So the biggest euros ever in '24 , 24 nations including hosts Germany are confirmed 3 to go and on the last few nights of drama we found out the best teams who'll be there, but that's not it, another 12 nations take part in 1 legged play offs to give us the last 3 entrants. Sounds fine til now, but then I realise the nations in the play-offs, seeded play offs ridiculous, then realised that for every UEFA nation this is by far the easiest ever to qualify for, I remember the Euros were 2 groups of 4.
Have learned the play offs will be

Path A : Poland v Estonia
Greece v Kazakhstan
2 winners , 1 game final play-off for qualification.

Path B: Isreal v Finland/Ukraine /Iceland
Bosnia H v Finland/Ukraine /Iceland

Path C:
Georgia v Luxembourg Kvaratschkelia suspened)
Greece v Kazakhstan winners
Wales v Finland/Ukraine /Iceland

On reading this it made me think, who's missing?
Or who might be but no-one is missing. Of those I can think of definately out Sweden, Norway and Ireland are the 3 biggest nations completely out play off Path too only big nation missing is Russia.
Of the possible Poland are rank. If they make their way through Estonia then Greece or Kazakhstan id want them in our group.
Think israel will beat Finland or Iceland , Bosnia but not sure about Ukraine depends againn who they get.
Path B and C is imo also Wales down to beating Finland Ukraine Iceland , just depend on which nation they play Wales could also face Ukraine so im sure these are drawn in.
Have I missed any big guns that are definately out or middleweight?
Given the numbers in this biggest ever Euros Scotland progressing through a group stage has never been higher especially ifvthe draw is kinder .

Last edited:
Back