Frank McGarvey

Frank's sons have confirmed yhat he has been diagnosed with cancer. We all hope that he beats this bastard of a disease. I hope this true Celtic legend gets well soon.

View attachment 20417
I was only a tiddler when he was a player

But my dad used to record Celtic highlights on a VHS week after week, i.e. a season on a 240 VHS

I used to watch them all over and over and mind saying to my paw, he was hard to play against, my da would say, a defenders nightmare is facing up to a guy running at you who doesnt even have a fucking clue what he's going to do next

If i remember correctly they fucked him off after the 85 cup final ?

I was only a tiddler when he was a player

But my dad used to record Celtic highlights on a VHS week after week, i.e. a season on a 240 VHS

I used to watch them all over and over and mind saying to my paw, he was hard to play against, my da would say, a defenders nightmare is facing up to a guy running at you who doesnt even have a fucking clue what he's going to do next

If i remember correctly they fucked him off after the 85 cup final ?
Yes, he rejoined St Mirren in 85 and helped them to a Cup win a couple of years later.

If I'm honest, George McCluskey was my hero after Dalglish left and Frank was often preferred to him, but I came to appreciate him as I got older

Last edited:
Aww the best, Heid the ba'! Mcgarvey scored goals I've still never seen scored since!
I was at St.Fillans with Sean, I was coupla years older but remember him being a dickhead! No his fault, we were all dickheads at that age lol
Aww the best Sean n McGarvey family, keep fighting the good fight!

TAL

Always liked the guy as a player, but funnily my dad didn’t. The number of times he gave him pelters only for Frank to stick one away always amused me and the troops around us, who in turn gave my dad pelters.
Good times.
Get well wee man
HH

Ach that’s shite! Hope the wee man pulls through. Remember watching him in the warm up for the 85 cup final, on the telly bottle of limeade to hand, he would do these runs with the ball and change direction 180 degrees, with a fancy over the ball spin.

Took me a while to master it but I still do that before every game I play.

Kidding on your Frank Mcgarvey is still brilliant even at my age. ⚽

Hopefully he’ll come through this just as he did for us that day. 🍀💚

Back