Gallowgate n Calton

Gallowgate stretches from Parkheadccross to Glasgow Cross Trongate and therefore has to head through Calton.
Ever wonder why all the streets have names consisting of Gates, trongate, drygate, gallowgate search for them and learn about merchant glasgow and its hidden history.
Ah but Boab wis the gallowgate a'ways so long? Pedantic bastard that I am. ?

Hard to tell also as in the old days streets could be named and renamed depending on authority, like in dennistoun streets were took off of people during the feudal days and heretic days. So history is never complete in boundaries as it is now.
https://www.glasgowhistory.com/glasgow-cross.html
Just had a go at reading about this. Seems like the gallowgate ran past the calton with a strip of land between the two. Calton entry was created to join the gallowgate and easier access to the city.

boab. I was awaiting my lift yesterday so sat on a bench down from the barrowlands.

Had headphones on just listening to tunes.

Car pulls up. 2 guys bounce out.

One comes over sits on the bench and says to me come up here if you want your cards

Then he made out like he lifted something off the bench and headed up towards his pal.

WTF. ???

Any idea of translation.

I dont take my cards out so he did not pick my cards off the bench.

Thoroughly strange.

Haha. No. How positively strange though.

The guy i said was a hun was a bhoy lol.

Played pool and got sharked. But in ma defence i wizn’t seeing to clearly.

The bhoy jim asked me why a thought he wiz a hun ??

I nodded at his clobber.

He said he wiz a painter & decorator i looked at the pub and him being init and said a successful one i see.

Anyway pleasant afternoon no drama.

Oh n 2 junkies came in seperately and tried to nick my phone, nice.

Haha. No. How positively strange though.

The guy i said was a hun was a bhoy lol.

Played pool and got sharked. But in ma defence i wizn’t seeing to clearly.

The bhoy jim asked me why a thought he wiz a hun ??

I nodded at his clobber.

He said he wiz a painter & decorator i looked at the pub and him being init and said a successful one i see.

Anyway pleasant afternoon no drama.

Oh n 2 junkies came in seperately and tried to nick my phone, nice.
#

Gallowgate stretches from Parkheadccross to Glasgow Cross Trongate and therefore has to head through Calton.
Ever wonder why all the streets have names consisting of Gates, trongate, drygate, gallowgate search for them and learn about merchant glasgow and its hidden history.
The places that end in gate, should actually be gait (as in a way of walking).
I used to think there were actual gates in the old city walls. But the gate in Trongate refers to the walk to the Tron.
In Dundee and Embra their are plenty of these gaits too.

Members online

Latest posts

Back