Gallowgate n Calton

The places that end in gate, should actually be gait (as in a way of walking).
I used to think there were actual gates in the old city walls. But the gate in Trongate refers to the walk to the Tron.
In Dundee and Embra their are plenty of these gaits too.
I thought there was actually gates on the city walls to keep the non peepo out,

I think it cost money to enter the city to trade before free trading existed

hence reason city was controlled by the burgess powers or bourgeois or brotherhoods of traders

Apparently the last hanging at Glasgow cross was long time ago.

I know st John Ogilvie was hanged at glasgow cross for being a priest in reign of James the first.

the last hanging I think was a serial killer, Peter Manuel I think, could be wrong, but that was inside barlinnie.

the actual history of hanging in glasgow, although pretty frequent in 19th century, seems to be not so easy to get info.

some hangings were at glasgow green if they thought they would need more space for the spectators, I believe.

Peter Manuel was hung late 1950s I think.

The Tolbooth used to house those waiting to be hung and I think that happened in Jocelyn Square where the High Court is today. It was a great day out for the ghouls who bought bags of rotten fruit to pap at the bad guys, as if hinging them wisnae enough! Just like at the guillotine, the women would have their knitting with them.
The good old days eh? I can think of a few peepul that they should bring back hanging for. 😂 😂 😂

The Tolbooth used to house those waiting to be hung and I think that happened in Jocelyn Square where the High Court is today. It was a great day out for the ghouls who bought bags of rotten fruit to pap at the bad guys, as if hinging them wisnae enough! Just like at the guillotine, the women would have their knitting with them.
The good old days eh? I can think of a few peepul that they should bring back hanging for. 😂 😂 😂
I love it when you reminisce about yer youth Shammy 👍

People were kept in the Toolboth that served as a prison, if been hanged it took place at this place in the Green near the peoples palace Nelsons Column
3463652_ac757fd5.jpg

Just found this
Wasn't the Crazy House near the Trongate ?
Loved that shop
They had 'Go-Go' Dancers inside, the place was bedlam on a Saturday, but it's where you bought all the latest gear

Members online

Latest posts

Back