Gordon McQueen

Such a shame. Gordon was a really good player and I really believe that if he hadn't knackered his knee against Wales right before the 1978 World Cup, then Scotland would have done much better (maybe not won it - but not knocked out at the group stages).

He can finally rest in peace. Sending condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.

Too young to remember the player, but he had a stellar career at some massive clubs.
He played with the best of their day and shared a dressing roo with real football icons.
He had a career that really eclipses 99% of any modern day British player,,,,
i think too many remember the Only an Excuse version, portrayed as a bumbling idiot...

a story that shows the mark of the man.....
i played in a junior golf competition at his local, certain it was Lochwinnoch, but possibly Kilmacolm.
I was the last game out and was playing well.
Some guy comes out onto course, going through the stragglers to see if anyone was in with a shout i.e. they wanted to get the presentation done asap.
So he kindly figures out for me on the last tee, 'if you get a 4 up the last, you'll win this'..
I waited around for the 10 minutes on the games in front.....
Striking the ball beautifully, i elected to give the tee shot my best..... after all, i'm brought up to face any challenge head on.........
By the time i'd gotten 100 yards down the hole, i'd lost 2 balls and was playing 6 or 7.
Bottled it, i'd never faced nerves like that besides sitting beside a lassie in RE.
Clueless on both fronts.
I do remember getting so far down the fairway, hitting my 8th, not giving a fuck. no nerves playing my shot of the day pin high.
There was about 60 people watching as i strolled up and holed the 10ft putt.
There was even a round of applause....... nobody realised i'd hit 9 shots to get onto the green.
It soon became evident.
I remember sitting in the locker room thinking i'd blew the British Open...

Turns out big Gordon was doing the prizes, heard my story, took the time to find me and console me. I'll never forget the guy aff Scotsport coming into say, 'hard luck wee man, nerves can get to you, don't be too hard on yourself, you'll have learned a bundle today. Next time you'll figure it out'.......

Last edited:
His goal at Wembley will live with me for ever, I was 12 & on my 1st away trip with ma Da, 2 Grandas, Uncles & cousins, the pandemonium on the terraces when Big Gordon rose to bullet a header past a stranded Ray Clemence.

Thanks for the memories Big Man R.I.PπŸ™πŸ΄σ §σ ’σ ³σ £σ ΄σ Ώ

PS, Dementia is a brutal illness, I watched it slowly take my mum 7yrs ago, I watched her go from a happy loving Mother & Grandma, to a woman who couldn't recognise her own children, it was heartbreaking too watch, it was harder for my twins sis & younger brother & sisters, I unfortunately didn't have a good relationship with my mum due to the fact I look like a younger version of my Da, so my thoughts & blessings go out to Everyone who has too watch a parent suffer this terrible illness πŸ™β€

ps - i'm pissed and stoned again...... but the stories have lined up tonight perfectly..

i went to visit my Dad today in hospital, i'm celebrating him
it's a broken hip aye, but he cheered me up no end

i took him in a couple of sandwiches from Greggs in case the grub was shite...
'Shite i could eat son, last night, mushroom fucking ravioli they offered me..
ah says 'hen, even if they were magic fucking mushies, who the fuck came up with that idea'

'even today son, they wake you up at 5am, for what.........nothing, not even a cup of tea......
just cos they're awake the cunts
anyhow, breakfast.......
can i just get a boiled egg on toast..... we don't do eggs sir....
sorry hen, i thought you said breakfast.... yes it is
ok, a bacon roll ?
no it's a choice of cereal or porridge....
i left primary school 60 years ago ffs

apart fae that dad, you doing ok.........

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back