Gordon Strachan

A

Anthony

Does Strachan get the credit he deserves for the job he done at Celtic?For a manager that took us to the last 16 of the CL twice and won 3 championships in row i think he struggled to win over our support .Would recommend watching his interview with Simon Ferry were he talks about his Aberdeen days and his time at Celtic .

He achieved a lot (i) against a financially doped R*ngers (IL) team (ii) on a budget and (iii) without a player like Henrik.

I always thought that he seemed to just give up in his last season, which I considered an unpardonable sin for a Celtic manager, but it's since come to light that he did try to leave before but carried on because he knew the club needed stability after Tommy Burns, may heaven keep him, passed away. He deserves credit for that too.

He did sign Paul Telfer, though.

Some remembered Wee Gordon from his Aberdeen days when he was an in your face wee nyaff who just so happened to be able to play a bit in a very successful dolly side.

The fact Alec Ferguson was the manager of that side just added to things.

None of the above endeared GS to some of the Support who had long memories of his transgressions against us.

As a manger of Celtic he was undoubtedly a success....although the style of football we played under him was at times quite uninspiring in a lot of views.

I think it's fair to say Gordon Strachan wasn't born a Celtic supporter....but he certainly became one.

I have a major problem with Strachan, mainly the manner in which he set our teams up to play. I am fully aware he done lots of downsizing n had to lower budgets and he brought some great players like magic n Naka but some of the football was absolutely dire! His zonal marking that Caldwell n others obviously had little or no clue how to execute, setting up a Celtic team to defensive football. These tactics did get us results, I can't deny, but maybe I'm an auld fool, I would rather lose playing the way Strachan set up our team. Celtic should always be playing attacking passing football, still think we should have 2 strikers, that is part of what makes Celtic great! Strachan cup final against Dunfermline is the only time in my life I was raging at winning the cup, a.
disgraceful disply by us that day, Iw would rather have lost that final for the manner I which we played! He did produce results but I can never forget the terrible way he sent us out to play football

I have a major problem with Strachan, mainly the manner in which he set our teams up to play. I am fully aware he done lots of downsizing n had to lower budgets and he brought some great players like magic n Naka but some of the football was absolutely dire! His zonal marking that Caldwell n others obviously had little or no clue how to execute, setting up a Celtic team to defensive football. These tactics did get us results, I can't deny, but maybe I'm an auld fool, I would rather lose playing the way Strachan set up our team. Celtic should always be playing attacking passing football, still think we should have 2 strikers, that is part of what makes Celtic great! Strachan cup final against Dunfermline is the only time in my life I was raging at winning the cup, a.
disgraceful disply by us that day, Iw would rather have lost that final for the manner I which we played! He did produce results but I can never forget the terrible way he sent us out to play football
My mate from London, a Spurs fan, went to that game with me. He fuckin loved it. Telling his boy " They got songs wiv verses and chorus, blinding"? He couldn't believe how fkn grumpy we were after winning the cup! He loved the tackles flying in as well...."that's propah football"?

Some Celtic supporters have an irrational hatred for WGS.

Personally, I'm still quite astounded at what he achieved.

Arriving after Martin O'Neill had quit, leaving a demotivated squad on fat salaries (Bobo, ya big shyster), the King of Kings lost to us forever - the whole mood around Celtic was mournful and one of resignation.

The Huns, remember, were still shelling out big bucks for players and we were still bemused as to how, but many were demanding we competed with their self-destructive lunacy.

So in comes WGS, former Celtic tormentor, media agitator, outspoken, single-minded, blunt and gets pumped out the CL by Artmedia in his first game(s).

Then, against all odds, given his remit and tools he had to work with, he wins poignant titles and miraculously gets to the last 16 of the CL TWICE, beating European Champions along the way, only to be thwarted by unlucky draws. (Milan and Barca iirc).

With hindsight, everything taken into consideration, he actually was a bit of a miracle-worker. His set-up was criticised but he was stretching out a thin squad, making the most of capabilities and energy. He delivered us Nakamura and JVoH, and got the best from Scottie McDonald, made average players good enough to compete at the top-level.

I always wonder what he could have done with some real decent budgets to work with but by his time we had made the pertinent if not popular decision to withdraw from the arms race and get solvent again.

Some Celtic supporters have an irrational hatred for WGS.

Personally, I'm still quite astounded at what he achieved.

Arriving after Martin O'Neill had quit, leaving a demotivated squad on fat salaries (Bobo, ya big shyster), the King of Kings lost to us forever - the whole mood around Celtic was mournful and one of resignation.

The Huns, remember, were still shelling out big bucks for players and we were still bemused as to how, but many were demanding we competed with their self-destructive lunacy.

So in comes WGS, former Celtic tormentor, media agitator, outspoken, single-minded, blunt and gets pumped out the CL by Artmedia in his first game(s).

Then, against all odds, given his remit and tools he had to work with, he wins poignant titles and miraculously gets to the last 16 of the CL TWICE, beating European Champions along the way, only to be thwarted by unlucky draws. (Milan and Barca iirc).

With hindsight, everything taken into consideration, he actually was a bit of a miracle-worker. His set-up was criticised but he was stretching out a thin squad, making the most of capabilities and energy. He delivered us Nakamura and JVoH, and got the best from Scottie McDonald, made average players good enough to compete at the top-level.

I always wonder what he could have done with some real decent budgets to work with but by his time we had made the pertinent if not popular decision to withdraw from the arms race and get solvent again.

Absolutely, a back line of Telfer, Naylor, heid and big mick competing with Europe's best? Deserves immense praise for that alone!

It was very turgid but not as ugly as the way MON had us play. Likewise, it wasn't as pretty as the beautiful, losing football that Tony Mowbray had his team playing.
Reporter: "Gordon, can I have a quick word?"

WGS: "velocity"
Reporter: "So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?"
Strachan: "What areas? Mainly that big green one out there…"

I thought he was definitely a success.He was unlucky not to turn the Artmedia shambles around about in the space of a week.We lost the first old firm game that season but got revenge twice in quick succession in the league cup & league.The night we beat Man U to go through was unbelievable and also the night we beat AC,the stadium was rocking that night.He was so unlucky in the san siro,we should have had a least one penalty that night.The goal Naka scored against the now diseased team to get us back in the league race and then the winner from JVH was another great night Strachan gave us.Just disappointing we never got Fletcher in his last season,I think we were 12 points ahead of the old rotten mob after we beat them at castle greyscull just after Xmas.If you look at the comments on this thread,there’s your answer to if he gets the credit he deserves.HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back