Greatest Celtic Team 1888 - 1938

Bridie Bhoy

Seeing as its now the close season, how about a little bit of fun? In the past there have been numerous votes on the greatest ever team. However, it is impossible to compare different generations and we usually find that very few of the very old legends get selected despite being some of the greatest players in the world at that time. Therefore, I am suggesting that we split the team selections up into THREE distinct time-periods.

The first would be the early days and cover the period 1888 through to 1938.

The second time-period would cover the next 50 years from 1939 to 1988.

The third time-period would be from 1989 through to the current time.

The only rules are that the team should be in an appropriate formation for that time-period, you should select 7 substitutes (including at least 1 goalie, 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 attacker) and a manager. If you are selecting more than one team and a player’s Celtic career spans two time-periods then you should only select them for only one side.

Remember this is for fun. It is all about opinions so there are no right and wrong answers and any debate must be kept civil and light-hearted.

I’m sure some of you will be able to select a fantastic side of Early Legends.

Although the manager obviously has to be Willie Maley, sadly I don’t know enough about the very early days to be able to differentiate between the earliest greats (Jimmy McGrory, Jimmy Quinn, Sandy McMahon, Patsy Gallacher, Jimmy McMenemy, Alec McNair, James Kelly, Jimmy Hay, Jim Young, John Campbell, Dan Doyle, Peter Somers, Willie Loney, Davie Hamilton, Davey Adams, Peter Johnstone, Joe Dodds, Jimmy McColl, Charlie Shaw, Adam McLean, John MacFarlane, Paddy Connolly, Alec Thomson, Chic Geatons, Bobby Hogg, Jimmy Delaney, Malky MacDonald, John Thomson, Jimmy & Willy McStay, etc, etc) so will chicken out of this selection.

Although some of you will be able to select a fantastic side of Early Legends, personally I feel under-qualified so I’d defer to the thoughts of some of our club’s historians (someone like David Potter, Tom Campbell, Brian Wilson, Pat Woods, John Cairney, etc) who are far more knowledgeable than I am so if you know someone better qualified then please ask them to pick their team.

Seeing as its now the close season, how about a little bit of fun? In the past there have been numerous votes on the greatest ever team. However, it is impossible to compare different generations and we usually find that very few of the very old legends get selected despite being some of the greatest players in the world at that time. Therefore, I am suggesting that we split the team selections up into THREE distinct time-periods.

The first would be the early days and cover the period 1888 through to 1938.

The second time-period would cover the next 50 years from 1939 to 1988.

The third time-period would be from 1989 through to the current time.

The only rules are that the team should be in an appropriate formation for that time-period, you should select 7 substitutes (including at least 1 goalie, 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 attacker) and a manager. If you are selecting more than one team and a player’s Celtic career spans two time-periods then you should only select them for only one side.

Remember this is for fun. It is all about opinions so there are no right and wrong answers and any debate must be kept civil and light-hearted.

I’m sure some of you will be able to select a fantastic side of Early Legends.
I don't know enough about this era but would love to hear from the fans who do.

I like your idea Bridie Bhoy

Members online

Latest posts

Back