Greatest Celtic Team 1939 - 1988

Bridie Bhoy

Seeing as its now the close season, how about a little bit of fun? In the past there have been numerous votes on the greatest ever team. However, it is impossible to compare different generations and we usually find that very few of the very old legends get selected despite being some of the greatest players in the world at that time. Therefore, I am suggesting that we split the team selections up into THREE distinct time-periods.

The first would be the early days and cover the period 1888 through to 1938.

The second time-period would cover the next 50 years from 1939 to 1988.

The third time-period would be from 1989 through to the current time.

The only rules are that the team should be in an appropriate formation for that time-period, you should select 7 substitutes (including at least 1 goalie, 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 1 attacker) and a manager. If you are selecting more than one team and a player’s Celtic career spans two time-periods then you should only select them for only one side.

Remember this is for fun. It is all about opinions so there are no right and wrong answers and any debate must be kept civil and light-hearted.

This will probably be the hardest team to pick. Although the Lions will dominate our thoughts, there are also a few heroes from the sometimes less successful 1950s, as well as the Quality Street Gang and all of the 70s/80s heroes right up to centenary champions to consider as well.

OK – here is my Golden Greats team.

R Simpson
D McGrain, B McNeil (captain), R Aitken, T Gemmell
J Johnstone, B Auld, B Murdoch, B Lennox
K Dalglish, S Chalmers

Subs
P Bonner
B Evans
M MacLeod
D Hay
B Peacock
J “Dixie” Deans
C Nicholas

Manager
J Stein

This is a very tough one to pick. Apologies to Jim Craig, John Clark, Willie Wallace and John Fallon who were the Lions I had to leave out. I would say that half a dozen of these players I’ve selected are world class and would grace the greatest ever team of many clubs. There are a couple of players I picked purely on reputation as they were before my time (Evans and Peacock), but they have such a reputation that I feel I can’t leave them out.

After King Kenny left us, George McCluskey became my fitba hero so I feel really guilty about not picking him (even though I reluctantly accept that we have had better players than him). Chalmers edged it up front to partner Dalglish because his goals record is amazing and he did score “that” goal. I went for Dixie Deans as substitute striker as I remember him being lethal when I was just a youngster. McBride was before my time but I hear he was brilliant.

Harry Hood was an excellent goalscorer and there are some great players from the 80s that I haven’t chosen either – Tommy Burns (sorry – I’ll address this oversight in another thread), Johnny Doyle, Brian McClair, Frank McAvennie, Mark McGhee (a bit of a grumpy sod???), Frank McGarvey (only because he got picked ahead of Chicken George too many times for me to really like him as much as he deserved, which makes me a bad person I know), Davie Provan (does my head in these days – this shouldn’t take away from how good he was as a player for us 35+ years ago, but it does), Judas Johnston (I can’t think why I missed him out - LOL!), etc. It is probably two-faced of me to then select Charlie Nic, but he really was such a gifted player and deadly goalscorer that I couldn’t keep him out.

I think picking the captain and manager of this dream team are probably the easiest decisions we’ll have to make here. No explanation needed!

OK that’s my team – what about yours? It is extremely difficult so good luck!

I have a point of order Bridie Bhoy - do we have to have seen them play ? I am getting on a bit... but 1939 ! As for 1888 !

There may be some on here who have stayed the course from then 'til now - Well Done !- but most of us will be relying on handed down stories and newspaper reports etc...seeing the player through someone else's eyes . It is easier to judge a player when you have seen him play regularly - so 1939-1959 is a couple of decades too far for me . As for before then ...

1959-1988 : Packie Bonner
McGrain McNeill Clark Gemmell
Dalglish McStay Murdoch Johnstone
Lennox Nicholas

Subs : Hay , Jim Craig , John Collins , Crerand , Tully

Need time to think about 1988-present !

I have a point of order Bridie Bhoy - do we have to have seen them play ? I am getting on a bit... but 1939 ! As for 1888 !

There may be some on here who have stayed the course from then 'til now - Well Done !- but most of us will be relying on handed down stories and newspaper reports etc...seeing the player through someone else's eyes . It is easier to judge a player when you have seen him play regularly - so 1939-1959 is a couple of decades too far for me . As for before then ...

Lennox Nicholas

Thanks Millsy. I know what you are saying. It was just a thought I had last night when we were discussing our heroes. The club did the greatest team ever but in reality the first 70+ years were ignored and we had some legends back them, so thought I'd have that as a subsection on it's own. I am not fussed really if people want to split it up differently - it is just a bit of fun and a way of celebrating our incredible history. Anything poisitive to break up the meaning about Lawell and rumours about Samaras, etc rejoining us in the transfer window. If folk aren't fussed about it I'll easily delete the thread. But thanks for team. ?

don't dare delete it BB,it's a great thread and like you say,a wee distraction from all the clickbait pish,so many wonderful players over the years,so get back tae ye later with ma team Hail Hail BB!
Thanks MD. I thought it was interesting. Considering we've just won 8 leagues in a row and three trebled in a row, there seems to be a lot of negativity amongst a lot of us. I include myself in that as I've whinged about Sinclair's form, poor performances, etc, when we should be better appreciating the times we are going through. You're right that we should enjoy it more - I'm Jock Stein's teams weren't amazing every single match but they are rightly worshipped as heroes. HH

phew! here go,apologies to all the legends left out,we'd have ended up with a hundred a side!
Simpson (for the Lisbon backheel alone!)
McGrain,McNeill,Clark,Gemmell
Auld,Murdoch
Johnstone,Chalmers,McBride,Lennox
Subs
Bonner
Hay
Aitken
Crerand
S.Fallon,never seen him play,but ma ould dad raved aboot him
Tully, ditto!
Hughes
manager, Big Jock

Lennox Nicholas

Think I have to be fair and go with players in my lifetime, BB, but it is a great thread and this is an example of where the more senior members can educate the young guns.

I'm not choosing any lions, as that is a team without comparison, but I reckon you could get another European Cup winning team with the best of the rest.

Gonna have to ponder it for a bit, as there are at least two I would add on talent, but who I now feckin loathe and despise.

Think I have to be fair and go with players in my lifetime, BB, but it is a great thread and this is an example of where the more senior members can educate the young guns.

I'm not choosing any lions, as that is a team without comparison, but I reckon you could get another European Cup winning team with the best of the rest.

Gonna have to ponder it for a bit, as there are at least two I would add on talent, but who I now feckin loathe and despise.
is one Mo?

phew! here go,apologies to all the legends left out,we'd have ended up with a hundred a side!
Simpson (for the Lisbon backheel alone!)
McGrain,McNeill,Clark,Gemmell
Auld,Murdoch
Johnstone,Chalmers,McBride,Lennox
Subs
Bonner
Hay
Aitken
Crerand
S.Fallon,never seen him play,but ma ould dad raved aboot him
Tully, ditto!
Hughes
manager, Big Jock