Have I missed something?

BILLCOWIE1958

As far back as I can remember Celtic have always taken the option of delaying an early league match in order to play a glamour friendly or tourney thus missing out on going to the top of the table until quite well on into the new season

I haven't noticed anything of that ilk being mentioned this season?

HH?

As you rightly say it means we are chasing after the league leaders and putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

Also, I think it leads to fixture congestion later on in the season when we have to squeeze in the delayed game.

Most of the real glamorous opponents are in America and Asia earning big bucks.

Champions League qualifiers are our priority and last weekend's Celtic Festival instead of a friendly seems to have been an amazing success and will probably be copied by every other football club - good revenue and excellent PR.

Last edited:
As you rightly say it means we are chasing after the league leaders and putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

Also, I think it leads to fixture congestion later on in the season when we have to squeeze in the delayed game.

Most of the real glamorous opponents are in America and Asia earning big bucks.

Champions League qualifiers are our priority and last weekend's Celtic Festival instead of a friendly seems to have been an amazing success and will probably be copied by every other football club - good revenue and excellent PR.

The festival was great and pure cash spinner the amount of “family there”

I did mention I thought it was strange we had two clear Saturdays between the qualifiers. I would have thought we would have put warm up games in there.
But maybe there are greater minds at work.....
HH

Guessing new manager wanted his new squad in to adapt to the new style of play /formations

Broony hinted at it yesterday during the presser ,adapting to different formations and style of play , better doing that than pointless friendlies

Another aspect to us playing these incessant qualifiers is thst we are slso missing out on mich needed cash playing these glamour tournaments. Real Madrid picked up something like €15mil for appearing in this International Champions Cup in the US only to be humiliated by their neighbours.

Atletico Madrid will have gained thousands of new international fans who was blown away by their impressive demolition of Real which will increase their revenue for years.

Meanwhile we are playing high pressure must win qualifiers in Tallinn.

Just another example of how the rich clubs get richer and the rest of us get denied lucrative revenue streams we used to enjoy.

Another aspect to us playing these incessant qualifiers is thst we are slso missing out on mich needed cash playing these glamour tournaments. Real Madrid picked up something like €15mil for appearing in this International Champions Cup in the US only to be humiliated by their neighbours.

Atletico Madrid will have gained thousands of new international fans who was blown away by their impressive demolition of Real which will increase their revenue for years.

Meanwhile we are playing high pressure must win qualifiers in Tallinn.

Just another example of how the rich clubs get richer and the rest of us get denied lucrative revenue streams we used to enjoy.
In fairness we do get gate receipts and payments from UEFA in a sliding scale depending on qualifying round results

It also means that we aren't playing catchup in the SPFL by not missing out on an early match which we don't normally catch up on until October

I think a few seasons back we played Real Madrid in I think Philadelphia for which we made £1 million

HH?

HH?

In fairness we do get gate receipts and payments from UEFA in a sliding scale depending on qualifying round results

It also means that we aren't playing catchup in the SPFL by not missing out on an early match which we don't normally catch up on until October

I think a few seasons back we played Real Madrid in I think Philadelphia for which we made £1 million

HH?

HH?
I appreciate that but this is just a fraction of what we could earn by playing in these tournaments. Plus we are missing out on promoting our "brand" to new fans which increases our profile further which increases revenue in the future.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do about by whinging on here though ? HH ?

As far back as I can remember Celtic have always taken the option of delaying an early league match in order to play a glamour friendly or tourney thus missing out on going to the top of the table until quite well on into the new season

I haven't noticed anything of that ilk being mentioned this season?

HH?
very true we've had one friendly v rennes the quick turnaround in to the champions league suggests to me lennys had a hand in this change

I did mention I thought it was strange we had two clear Saturdays between the qualifiers. I would have thought we would have put warm up games in there.
But maybe there are greater minds at work.....
HH
I think we had a Celtic XI v Arbroath in between to get players up to speed plus two extra ties in Europe's backwaters

I appreciate that but this is just a fraction of what we could earn by playing in these tournaments. Plus we are missing out on promoting our "brand" to new fans which increases our profile further which increases revenue in the future.

I don't suppose there is anything I can do about by whinging on here though ? HH ?
At least we are not having to play in league cup groups.

Members online

Latest posts

Back