Honouring McCann (not Neil)

Not for me. He was right in what he said but so were others. He was smart and played a blinder. He made money and build a future for the club. He deserves thanks but not a statue. There are only 4 statues Bro Walfrid, Jock Stein, Jimmy Johnstone anBilly McNeill. I would have liked Tommy Burns and Willie Maley but these 4 are fine with me.
ah did
I take it you're referring to the Royal 'we'
I have NOTHING against McCann whatsoever He did what he did got the millions he got end of Every Celtic fan has their own favourite player and might feel that the deserve special acknowledgment We'd end up with more statues and ounters
Cambuslang would never have happened
It was a smoke screen HH?
ah never once mentioned statue used the word honouring maybe a hospitality lounge jist sumhin along those lines deserves special recognition

Now you're getting personal one of the premises that this site says it does not permit
If you cannot enter into a debate without getting personal or accept that other people's views don't always concur with your own perhaps you should refrain from getting involved in threads HH?

I didn't miss any point
He got the money so that should suffice HH?

The money he got was a return on a business investment at the end of the day, if he was honoured in some way it would be a thank you for what he did for Celtic, an act of appreciation so to speak.

These are 2 totally different things and the return of investment did not ever shown him personally how much we respect, admire and owe him our thanks, only some sort of recognition can do that

Hail Hail Fergus McCann

I don't agree with everyone on the statues. I want more. I like the the attraction of them the the story they tell. I wanted a walk with several figures from history. McGrory. McCann. Burns. Larsson. I'd commission a few.

Now you're getting personal one of the premises that this site says it does not permit
If you cannot enter into a debate without getting personal or accept that other people's views don't always concur with your own perhaps you should refrain from getting involved in threads HH?
not at all mere
merely my opinion to your sacarism

I don't agree with everyone on the statues. I want more. I like the the attraction of them the the story they tell. I wanted a walk with several figures from history. McGrory. McCann. Burns. Larsson. I'd commission a few.
I like the idea of a timeline from past to present along the celtic way but not sure about all statues but definitely some kind of plaques would work imo.

I agree A statue would be unsuitable
How about a framed copy of the cheque for the mIllions he walked away with after his tenure?
It could be hung in the main entrance

HH?

Think Fergus would kind of agree that no monument is necessary, he came across as a non fuss or thrills businessman.
But to be fair to him, unlike most supposed wealthy saviours, he spouted little or no BS and did state up front he would make it work and make himself money and then go.
I expect if asked a direct question, he would say that he should never have had to step in the first place, the club was run down by supposed 'owners'

So McCann's legacy is already there for Celtic fans, he is the reminder that we need to keep watching the big share holders, the new supposed owners and we should be wondering or asking why some (like investment /hedge funds) are investing.

It is our club and most especially the all important future Celtic fans. It's our club not Lawell's or Desmond's to do as they please as and when and let us know the news when they see fit!

I would not be unhappy to see something in McCann's name, suggest it should be named in such a way that future fans wonder what it means and realize how trust can be taken for granted and abused.

Last edited:
McCann is part of the clubs heritage no one can deny his efforts were to ensure to get the club on a even keel,He left us with future yes he made money but so did the club.a simple plaque with the bunnet hanging in the middle just think how many people will ask what's that for I think we all know the reply

I take it you're referring to the Royal 'we'
I have NOTHING against McCann whatsoever He did what he did got the millions he got end of Every Celtic fan has their own favourite player and might feel that the deserve special acknowledgment We'd end up with more statues and ounters
Cambuslang would never have happened
It was a smoke screen HH?
Judging by your username you are old enough to remember the early 90’s and therefore comparing McCann to Rhea variety of favourite players is puzzling to me. It is entirely possible that his intervention at the lowest point in our history ensured we have a team to support, I remember the charlatans and incompetents running the club before him and I would firmly stand behind any suggestion that his pivotal role in Celtic history should be recognised

Not averse to the idea of The Bunnet being recognised at Celtic Park. Statue? Why not. His name will be remembered in the same breath as a certain Mr Kerrins long after all of us have shuffled off. In my opinion of course.
I'd be lying if I said I was 100% comfortable with the sum he eventually left with but when he walked in the door and put his money on the table, I doubt very much if even he thought his time and influence over the club would be as successful as it eventually was. The wee man delivered and got his reward financially. To focus on his profit is unfair. Again in my opinion.

Judging by your username you are old enough to remember the early 90’s and therefore comparing McCann to Rhea variety of favourite players is puzzling to me. It is entirely possible that his intervention at the lowest point in our history ensured we have a team to support, I remember the charlatans and incompetents running the club before him and I would firmly stand behind any suggestion that his pivotal role in Celtic history should be recognised
Which is entirely your right and I have no issue with you having your opinion as in the same way you should have no issue with me having mine

As I said McCann did what he did but he didn't do it for nothing
Thin Dimes were ALWAYS his main agenda and he made plenty of them Given a choice of money or adulation which do you think he'd prefer?

I also remember the shameful manner in which he treated Tommy Burns, the abruptness of his attitude to anyone who did not share his opinions and his penny pinching to the extent of meanness

HH?

For me... Definitely no statue, maybe a restaurant, or suite named after him...he was a Celtic supporter and did what he said, not a spiv...an honest business man...I dread to think what could have happened without him.He galvanised us and put in the building blocks to challenge Them...without his acumen, then they would have made 10... He made money but I believe he loves the club, just as we do.

I think the concencuce of opinion is that we remember him for for what he done for the club not for he honestly earned ,I also remember what the club was like before his tenure and beyond when directors picked teams which depended on who was in favour.Yes I go back to the fiftys and remember the many times the club was struggling and thank god those days gone the Bunnet deserves to be reconished

I agree A statue would be unsuitable
How about a framed copy of the cheque for the mIllions he walked away with after his tenure?
It could be hung in the main entrance

HH?
Some people have eyes but cannot see ! I bet that you were one of the morons (AKA greatest fans in the world ) who booed Fergus as the Title flag was unveiled . Some Celtic 'supporters' do not deserve the legacy that Fergus left us .Would you rather have the Kelly's back or a GASL ?

Some people have eyes but cannot see ! I bet that you were one of the morons (AKA greatest fans in the world ) who booed Fergus as the Title flag was unveiled . Some Celtic 'supporters' do not deserve the legacy that Fergus left us .Would you rather have the Kelly's back or a GASL ?

That's a bet you would lose!

Some people on these sites believe that their view is dogmatic

Everyone is entitled to a view and because it doesn't conform to yours it does NOT give you the reason to refer them as Morons

In response to your question would I rather have the Kelly's back?
If you are referring to Kevin and Michael Kelly the answer is 'no'

If you are referring to Sir Robert Kelly if he was still alive then possibly

As an aside, I wouldn't want the White's back either

Because I feel that Fergus McCann was amply compensated for doing his job without recourse to further adulation should be enough for any reader whether they agree with my sentiments or otherwise

I do my job and am remunerated for it handsomely, not as much aa McCann was but more than enough for my needs and I would never seek special praise or adulation for doing what I'm paid to do

Do you receive awards or adulation for what you're paid to do other than your wages?

If you want to commission statues or busts of Fergus McCann or name a Stadium or a Stand or a Suite after him then fair dos That's your entitlement which I totally respect
If you don't respect mine then that's your problem Lack of respect for others' opinions and beliefs is bigotry and look where bigotry gets you
HH?

That's a bet you would lose!

Some people on these sites believe that their view is dogmatic

Everyone is entitled to a view and because it doesn't conform to yours it does NOT give you the reason to refer them as Morons

In response to your question would I rather have the Kelly's back?
If you are referring to Kevin and Michael Kelly the answer is 'no'

If you are referring to Sir Robert Kelly if he was still alive then possibly

As an aside, I wouldn't want the White's back either

Because I feel that Fergus McCann was amply compensated for doing his job without recourse to further adulation should be enough for any reader whether they agree with my sentiments or otherwise

I do my job and am remunerated for it handsomely, not as much aa McCann was but more than enough for my needs and I would never seek special praise or adulation for doing what I'm paid to do

Do you receive awards or adulation for what you're paid to do other than your wages?

If you want to commission statues or busts of Fergus McCann or name a Stadium or a Stand or a Suite after him then fair dos That's your entitlement which I totally respect
If you don't respect mine then that's your problem Lack of respect for others' opinions and beliefs is bigotry and look where bigotry gets you
HH?
I think we need to remember that if it wasn’t for Fergus, we would have been the original Sevco. Yes he walked away with a fortune, but he stepped up to the plate and saved us at the eleventh hour, otherwise B of S would have pulled the plug and we were gonners...

I think we need to remember that if it wasn’t for Fergus, we would have been the original Sevco. Yes he walked away with a fortune, but he stepped up to the plate and saved us at the eleventh hour, otherwise B of S would have pulled the plug and we were gonners...
Nobody, well certainly not I have forgotten what McCann did for Celtic as did Brian DEMPSEY, it's been well documented, but from what I have read on this forum appears to be an outpouring of benevolence towards McCann and if that floats your boat then who am I to shoot your opinion down in flames?,, much in the same manner nobody should shoot my opinions down in flames although there are those who have done and will continue to do so

We continually hear about freedom of speech but there are some who only believe in freedom of speech if all opinions agree with their own which might be construed as an inherent character weakness

HH?

Nobody, well certainly not I have forgotten what McCann did for Celtic as did Brian DEMPSEY, it's been well documented, but from what I have read on this forum appears to be an outpouring of benevolence towards McCann and if that floats your boat then who am I to shoot your opinion down in flames?,, much in the same manner nobody should shoot my opinions down in flames although there are those who have done and will continue to do so

We continually hear about freedom of speech but there are some who only believe in freedom of speech if all opinions agree with their own which might be construed as an inherent character weakness

HH?
I thought the point of the forum was to put our opinions out there for others to either agree with it and explain why or disagree with it and explain why then we get into a conversation about it without using insults

Members online

Latest posts

Back