How good was Gary Hooper?

Watching a few old videos from the start of the second 9 , how good was Gary hooper
In my opinion what a striker , thoughts ?
I liked him

think he moved on at right time. Some players need to move on. Who knows if he would have declined if he stayed? Went at a time stock was high. Turned out good move for club since he was replaced. And his record went downhill after celtic. It can happen to the best. Sinclair declined, lots of players have it, then get sussed or lose it. Hard bit is letting high stock player go, when he has good value price rather than holding him until he leaves for free or worth lot less.

I liked him

think he moved on at right time. Some players need to move on. Who knows if he would have declined if he stayed? Went at a time stock was high. Turned out good move for club since he was replaced. And his record went downhill after celtic. It can happen to the best. Sinclair declined, lots of players have it, then get sussed or lose it. Hard bit is letting high stock player go, when he has good value price rather than holding him until he leaves for free or worth lot less.
I see what you are saying, but i truly believe he had at least 3 more years scoring at the same level as he was if he'd stayed at Parkhead. Instead he joined Delia's team to partner Wolfswinkel (or Foxtadger or something similar) up front for Norwich and was shite.

Of course, it it is all guesswork on my part though and we have enjoyed so much success since he left so you are right.

I see what you are saying, but i truly believe he had at least 3 more years scoring at the same level as he was if he'd stayed at Parkhead. Instead he joined Delia's team to partner Wolfswinkel (or Foxtadger or something similar) up front for Norwich and was shite.

Of course, it it is all guesswork on my part though and we have enjoyed so much success since he left so you are right.
I was sad to see him go, but I always weigh up if I think price is enough.

Eg would we have bought him for price offered? Personally I thought price was decent offer.

Some players are better when they get new challenge at their peak.

Others feel comfortable staying since they have good platform to develop/ or have settled family.

If player is homesick or needing a new challenge to get his next level then perhaps these factors are important.

personally, unless you loved club before you joined then I doubt the staying power of some players who are not Scottish.

Some get it. Others feel Scottish football is too low for them. Others want highest wage.

For whatever reason Gary left. He was great player. Club got decent price. And sometimes life after Celtic aint quite same buzz, and sometimes different club adds to the player.

Dembele is a good example.

I didn't think he would be replaceable. And for while it was sore one. But his leaving gave eddy the platform he really needed.

Perhaps both would have grown together?

Perhaps not?

Again was good enough price for me to let him go.

Would not have signed him for price we received.

Good goal scorer,but he was playing for a team that was supplying him from all angles,when he moved down south he was lost,not getting the service he was getting at Celtic,he was playing with forwards who wanted to have a go themselves so had to work harder for his goals,seen a few like him over the years great in thier own team but useless elsewhere.(Boyd for example) yes some make it because they adapt to thier new team the grass is not always greener than Celtic Park

He was a great goalscorer in the SPL and an accomplished Hunskelper: fast and a really good finisher. The problems he faced in our league were that he was too fast for linesmen, who often flagged him offside when he was clearly on, and old man Weir was allowed to kick him and pull him with impunity.

I often suspected he was slightly out of his depth in Europe. He lacked a bit of guile and so I think talk of an international career was always a tad fanciful.

I'd rate him as an excellent striker and the fourth best post-Henke after Eddy, Moussa and the Griff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back