How KT must perceive Arsenal's attitude

BILLCOWIE1958

One of the most prominent (and now rather boring) headlines of the summer is Arsenal's desire to wrench Keiran Tierney from Celtic, but at a price that drastically diminishes his true value, both to Celtic as a Club and the market in general
I realise that Celtic themselves set the valuation and that's another conundrum that I can't quite get my head around

From an initial derisory offer of £15 million they upped their offer to match Celtic's valuation, which in itself is lowball, but wanted to add so many whistles and bells to the agreement e.g. Staged payments, Qualifying payments, Method of payment Embassy coupons, Gingie bottles, Greenshield stamps or the Arsenal Shares that they bought back from Craig Whyte ?

All through this tiresome process Keiran himself has been somewhat tight lipped and stand offish, certainly in public No press announcements, no sabre rattling or spitting his dummy out

The saving grace in the whole sorry scenario is that the Bhoy is currently long term crocked so although it may be playing with his mind, and I can fully understand why that might be, it isn't affecting his current form

If I was KT it would make me ask myself just how much Arsenal valued me? Especially when I see other players of a similar age, similar or even less experience and certainly some with less ability being valued far higher by Clubs in the same League

With Arsenal pleading poverty while shelling out £72 million to Lille for Nicolas Pepe why can't they go the extra mile to secure my services?

I'd be considering whether Arsenal was the correct career move for me and coming to the conclusion that they aren't

With so much money sloshing around down south why does it only seem to be the Gunners who are pleading poverty? Badly run Club? Inability to access Champions League fortunes despite 4 opportunities to do so, not to mention a 5th route had they managed to beat Chelsea in last season's Europa League Final?

Arsenal it appears are a Club in decline and resting on their laurels of when they were a successful but boring team

Success down south goes in cycles and is related to the ability to buy the best players
If Arsenal have as much as admitted that they cannot do that then why would someone used to winning Titles Trophies and caps even consider joining them?
Better opportunities fill definitely follow

HH?

Last edited:
There's another wee factor which makes me think that Arsenal are way way off Celtic's asking price and that's in the fact that no other club has come in with a counter offer.

Perhaps there are minor concerns over KT's fitness, but I find it unfathomable that no other club would come in with some type of bid if the starting price is the oft quoted £25 million?

I'm not an expert on English football, but with the prices they pay for mediocrity, then it would seem a complete no-brainer to stump up that kind of dough for KT knowing that the balance of probability would suggest that his value this time next year would likely double going by the track record down there.

That would suggest to me that £25 million is nowhere near Celtic's actual estimation of the player, otherwise - you would think that there would be at least half-a-dozen other clubs beating a path to our door trying to secure his services.

As Bill pointed out in the OP, there has been no bleating or agitating from the Tierney camp, so one would hope that he is focused on continuing his rehabilitation and getting as excited as we are about the potential for the season ahead.

There's another wee factor which makes me think that Arsenal are way way off Celtic's asking price and that's in the fact that no other club has come in with a counter offer.

Perhaps there are minor concerns over KT's fitness, but I find it unfathomable that no other club would come in with some type of bid if the starting price is the oft quoted £25 million?

I'm not an expert on English football, but with the prices they pay for mediocrity, then it would seem a complete no-brainer to stump up that kind of dough for KT knowing that the balance of probability would suggest that his value this time next year would likely double going by the track record down there.

That would suggest to me that £25 million is nowhere near Celtic's actual estimation of the player, otherwise - you would think that there would be at least half-a-dozen other clubs beating a path to our door trying to secure his services.

As Bill pointed out in the OP, there has been no bleating or agitating from the Tierney camp, so one would hope that he is focused on continuing his rehabilitation and getting as excited as we are about the potential for the season ahead.
Maybe just maybe ,it's a case of keeping english money in the english game ,teams down there seem to be looking in there own back yard first to do their horse trading

Over the border transfers are rare nowadays and the prices take a dramatic drop compared to the shite they're selling

Arsenals the wrong fit for KT as Wanyama and VVD were for Southampton but were bought cheap and sold on for huge profits

The English still think we're in a wee Diddy league and so they can cream off our top talent on the cheap. KT has played numerous games in the champions league, europa league, has captained his club and Country as well as playing CB and RB proving how he's so good he can be versatile but even this doesn't seem to matter to the English who pay 15-20 mill for bang average players from the championship. Ollie mcburnie for 20 Mill tells you everything you need to know. KT should be twice the money that's being quoted an £50 mill would still be a bargain in English money terms.

I think if KT leaves us now the day will come when he looks back and regrets not being part of the 10. Not being a true legend. He will always have the affection of the support, but he will always see the dissapointment in our eyes that he left when we needed him most.

He is our talisman, he embodies everything we want in our players. For me two more seasons, or one if we fall this year, which we won’t, and then he goes on to a richer club in a better league with our heartfelt thanks for all he has done. We may even be better in Europe and help us regain respect as a team with the best support in the world behind him.

I hope he thinks long term and sees the oyster will still be there. Lenny said he would be back training next week. So if Arseholes stump up the derisory £25m, I fear he will go. It’s all down to what kind of legacy he wants as a Celt.

When he is sitting after he retires he may regret it. There are memories that no money can buy he could have here. When you have more money than you will ever need, it is about looking back and seeing yourself help your team become immortal to us.

You couldn’t put a price on that. Well you couldn’t for me. I hope he feels the same and commits to helping us achieve it. Then he goes a we hug him and wish him well.

If only life was so simple.

It suits them financially to keep their foot on the throat of Scottish football.

Undermine it then make it seem to a competitive footballer their not really tried so they can then offer peanuts in comparison to their own leagues footballers and dross.

I think if KT leaves us now the day will come when he looks back and regrets not being part of the 10. Not being a true legend. He will always have the affection of the support, but he will always see the dissapointment in our eyes that he left when we needed him most.

He is our talisman, he embodies everything we want in our players. For me two more seasons, or one if we fall this year, which we won’t, and then he goes on to a richer club in a better league with our heartfelt thanks for all he has done. We may even be better in Europe and help us regain respect as a team with the best support in the world behind him.

I hope he thinks long term and sees the oyster will still be there. Lenny said he would be back training next week. So if Arseholes stump up the derisory £25m, I fear he will go. It’s all down to what kind of legacy he wants as a Celt.

When he is sitting after he retires he may regret it. There are memories that no money can buy he could have here. When you have more money than you will ever need, it is about looking back and seeing yourself help your team become immortal to us.

You couldn’t put a price on that. Well you couldn’t for me. I hope he feels the same and commits to helping us achieve it. Then he goes a we hug him and wish him well.

If only life was so simple.

As a supporter, he would have regrets 100%.

He deserves the whole damn pie.

Have 10 then go and rage against the EPL machine and its shite and show them not to be so derisory about Scottish football for our own have done very well in their fkn league many times before.

Same old english. Love to plunder.

As a supporter, he would have regrets 100%.

He deserves the whole damn pie.

Have 10 then go and rage against the EPL machine and its shite and show them not to be so derisory about Scottish football for our own have done very well in their fkn league many times before.

Same old english. Love to plunder.

To be fair to them, getting a world class defender for peanuts is a good move.

Our board accepting those peanuts though, that’s a different fucking story.

Football is a mafia organisation.
It's a business in general terms.
The fans in modern football are not part of the business anymore and the clubs are working for corruption.When money talks bulshit walks.
If all clubs would hold their best players and sell them only for their true value then the so called bigger teams would be desperate for true players and quality despite making money and the football would have been more authentic. Moneymar is an example of modern football.PSG have money and Barcelona demanded to drain them selling their player so easily that made EPL look like a poor mediocre league.Barcelona have money and they demand more like nothing it's happening.Yet we have players who worth better than Maguire, having international experience,being young,participating in Europe in stunning performances, winning trophies and we are being outmuscled by a clown named Emery who claimed that he had only 45mil to spend and spent 72mil for an unkwon player and he mocked us offering 15mil as a starter bid.Juventus outmuscled even Ajax for De ligt by offering only 75mil to buy the best CB in the world who is only 19years old and has huge amount of European experience since he was 17 years old. At the same time Man utd spent 85 mil for a 27years old who didn't win anything and having Zero Euro experience.

Back