Hugh McIlvanney

Sad day , indeed !

He was a great friend of Big Jock and had some marvellous tales to tell of him and his time at Celtic .

Above all he was an awesome writer - a true sports journalist , unlike the cretins and sycophants who scribble for the Scottish Press today . A man who will be truly missed .

My Da introduced me to the work of William McIlvanney in the 1980's.

That man painted pictures with words and remains the most underrated crime novelist in literature.

His brother also had the art of storytelling in his gift and his own written portraits will be sadly missed.

Gus and Shug (Rip)

His era and his people

View attachment 1171
I believe that both knew that people WERE the story.

The events they wrote about were incidental, it was the protagonists/antagonists that were the fascination.

Ali, Stein, Laidlaw, Doherty...........The "real" folk had all the mythos of fictional characters and the fictional characters had all the relatable traits of fully-fleshed "real" folk.

I love the atmosphere of Mario Puzo's: The Godfather, but there is still a glitz and glamour there that might belie the genuine struggles of young Sicilian immigrants.

You can almost smell the smoke and stale pish in Gus' novels and in among the prose and verbosity, you can almost smell the sweat and liniment in Shug's pieces.

My Da introduced me to the work of William McIlvanney in the 1980's.

That man painted pictures with words and remains the most underrated crime novelist in literature.

His brother also had the art of storytelling in his gift and his own written portraits will be sadly missed.

Gus and Shug (Rip)

You couldn't have descibed them any better SP, The mould was well broken, irreplaceable men.

Members online

Latest posts

Back