If you think Neil Lennon brings it on himself then YOU’RE the one with the issue –Sutton

CalumHH

From the DR;

The scenes at Tynecastle on Wednesday night were shameful and hugely damaging to the Scottish game.

But let’s knock one thing on the head right away.

To suggest Neil Lennon brings these incidents on himself is absolutely preposterous.

I know the cesspool of social media isn’t exactly the best way to gauge public opinion but I can’t quite believe some of the responses to my old team-mate being struck on the face by a coin.

People are actually trying to justify these actions. It’s mind blowing.

Throwing a missile at a manager is unacceptable in any circumstances. There are folk saying Lennon winds up the supporters and he makes himself a target.

What utter nonsense. Some of the abuse he gets on the touchline is appalling, yet the second he engages with those cretins who are bombarding him with sickening slurs he becomes fair game?

0_18080627.jpg

I’m not having it. What did Lennon do the other night? He turned around to the Hearts fans, smiled and told them to pipe down.

It was pantomine stuff. If that is the kind of thing that evokes a violent response then the problem is not with the guy doing the goading, it’s the guy who reacts by throwing a missile who has the slate missing.

If that’s justification for what followed then I don’t know where we are going in terms of football or society.

Even more worrying is comments saying Lennon brings it on himself from the likes of Gary Caldwell.

I couldn’t believe he came away with that stuff. It was outrageous. Caldwell is not just an ex-player or even a former team-mate. Crucially, he is a fellow manager.

If that’s the mindset of someone who is actually in the game then we really are in bother.

Fair play, he came out and apologised once he saw the reaction to his comments on the radio but the horse had already bolted.

0_JS165678227.jpg

Caldwell only ligitimised this ridiculous notion Lennon is somehow to blame for these repeated incidents and that’s not on.

He is the manager of Partick Thistle, so what happens if his team score a last-minute winner way from home. Does he gets caught up in the moment and celebrates in front of home fans and gets a coin in the face for his troubles?

Will he simply hold his hands up and say he was asking for it?

Do me a favour. Caldwell should be embarrassed by his comments and with the swift apology I suspect he is.

There is no justification for the scenes the other night. It wasn’t just the Lennon flashpoint either.

A Hibs fan aimed a punch at Hearts goalkeeper Zdenek Zlamal and the officials were targeted. It was disgusting.

There’s a lot to love about Scottish football right now. There’s Brendan Rodgers getting Celtic back on track again, there’s the interesting development of Steven Gerrard at Rangers, Hearts and Hibs are packing out their grounds and flying in the league. Aberdeen are getting their act together.

The game up here is box office right now but you turn on the news and it’s all about fans misbehaving.

It’s incredibly frustrating. I love Tynecastle as a stadium. The atmosphere is right up there and it’s because the fans are so close to the action.

0_JS167158434.jpg

We should be talking about a pulsating fixture but instead the idiots have wrecked it. There will be the usual statements. Hearts will be mortified and Ann Budge will condemn those responsible. Hibs will be furious and rightly so. It would be the exact same if it was Craig Levein on the end of it at Easter Road.

But what really will be done about this? Players, managers and officials are being put in danger in their working environment. It’s not on.

The police need to come down on offenders with full force and give these people jail time, but is that even enough?

If this happened in Europe UEFA would be come down on clubs like a ton of bricks. It’s fines, sections of stadiums closed, points deductions.

That might make these clowns think twice. At some point these people have to take responsibility for their own actions.

0_SWNS_HANG_LENNON_01JPG.jpg

These kind of incidents are creeping back in to to game and we are in real danger of returning to the dark old days in British football when trouble was rife in the terraces.

I thought we’d left all this garbage behind but we are in danger of the game lurching in to chaos if people are going to explode in violence at the sight of someone celebrating.

Neil brings a lot to Scottish football. He produces good, attacking sides and he always talks the game up in this country.

I know he’s divisive character and it’s OK not to like him.

But no matter how much he rubs folk up the wrong way at times, the way he is treated is complete unacceptable and needs to be stamped out before we are dealing with an incident even more shocking.

Passionate people can often be seen as marmite (not divisive, that only serves the perpetrators insular views) i love his passion.

Remember after all his games at Celtic Park he always came over the the north stand centre line to applaud the fans.

There is a touch of class about lenny but defo in the shape of a rough diamond. I personally love the guy and he was my favourite before he hung up his boots and now its broony.

Funny how they are similar in passion and i am drawn to both.

I find it disgusting that this country fails NL’s basic rights over n over again and so flippantly justifies it.

There is no justification!!!

Gary Caldwell what a let down, i cant believe it.

Who needs enemies with friends like that.

Calum, fantastic post pal. HH ?

Caldwells comments are out of order and although he never excited me as a player he did do us a turn on the pitch i can’t say he was shoite. Boring yes. But he did do a job

I am amazed that Neil Lennon even came back to Scotland. No one should have to put with the abuse he has had. His crime? Being a Catholic from the North of Ireland. Scotland ( not all of it though) should be ashamed and embarrassed by the treatment of Neil Lennon. If I was him I would have left Scotland years ago. He has shown immense character and still goes about his business with a smile, the Huns won't chase him oot.
Hail Hail
Rich

I am amazed that Neil Lennon even came back to Scotland. No one should have to put with the abuse he has had. His crime? Being a Catholic from the North of Ireland. Scotland ( not all of it though) should be ashamed and embarrassed by the treatment of Neil Lennon. If I was him I would have left Scotland years ago. He has shown immense character and still goes about his business with a smile, the Huns won't chase him oot.
Hail Hail
Rich
I've thought about that same question many times over many years, Richy:

What would I do if my life was being constantly threatened, or if I got bullets sent through the post, or if I was attacked physically while just doing my job.

I have neither the courage or fortitude of Mr. Lennon and I would have cut my losses and moved to Alaska years ago.

For anyone to suggest he brings that level of threat and violence upon himself is quite frankly contemptible.

NL warrants verbal abuse from the stands for his performances as a player over the years. It would be seen as a veiled compliment and he would welcome such abuse and appreciate it.

To be attacked repeatedly in the way he has is not a veiled compliment - it is the hatred of the symbol which you so eloquently stated he represents.

I am Neil Lennon......We are all Neil Lennon

Caldwell just showed how much of an arsehole he is, and if the Cunt ever brings a team to CP he should be booed and sang about as a wanker.

Blaming Lenny? Go fuck yourself Caldwell, I never rated you as a player and with that comment, I don’t rate you as a man either.

I hope you get sacked after making a roaring arse of management.

So the linesman that got struck by a coin the other week by Sevco fans brought it on himself too did he? By winding up Huns and not giving every decision their way he is clearly guilty of inciting the crowd isn't he Gary. Whats that Gary? He was just doing his job! Well so was Lenny.

I've thought about that same question many times over many years, Richy:

What would I do if my life was being constantly threatened, or if I got bullets sent through the post, or if I was attacked physically while just doing my job.

I have neither the courage or fortitude of Mr. Lennon and I would have cut my losses and moved to Alaska years ago.

For anyone to suggest he brings that level of threat and violence upon himself is quite frankly contemptible.

NL warrants verbal abuse from the stands for his performances as a player over the years. It would be seen as a veiled compliment and he would welcome such abuse and appreciate it.

To be attacked repeatedly in the way he has is not a veiled compliment - it is the hatred of the symbol which you so eloquently stated he represents.

I am Neil Lennon......We are all Neil Lennon

Respect!

I am Neil Lennon

The problem with those who minimise and dismiss the treatment NL receives is partly because they are neither Catholic or of Irish Heritage and have never therefore been on the receiving end. I have numerous times and no doubt will continue to be. Fortunately not to Lenny's extent. It's a true saying though, until you walk in someone's shoes you will never understand. I once raised my concerns with a senior manager about the lack of visibility of Catholics in promoted posts and was able to statistically demonstrate my point. But despite being a close colleague, he trivialised it, dismissing out of hand but without any validity to his reasoning. Actually, unwittingly I marked my card after that. A problem is that if you're part of the majority and generally only influenced by that majority, you will always be blind to the disadvantages of others. Scotland is a social backwater and one of the most insular intolerant countries in Western Europe and has more in common with the former Confederate States of America where the rednecks and hillbillies of Scottish ethnicity thrive to this day.

Neil Lennon had some things to say today, If I bring abuse upon myself, how come this only happens in Scotland? I never faced anything like this in England. You all laugh about it and push it aside. Scotland has an anti Irish racism problem, the abuse is sectarian and because I am a catholic from the north of Ireland. The media at the press conference acted like this was news to them. The failure of the Scottish media to call it sectarian abuse has actively encouraged all those who indulge in it. Anyone who doubts the truth of what NL has said only needs to go to Ibrox on match day to see and hear the truth or watch some of the videos posted on this blog.
I hope NL has not made things worse for himself though. I think we all know how the peepul will react to the truth....hurt or intimidate the truth teller is their mantra.
Hail Hail
Rich

Now we have Les Gray, former Police Federation Chief, victim blaming too. This is what he had to say:

“There’s no justification for what happened to Neil Lennon, the Hearts goalkeeper and the third person who has allegedly been assaulted.

“Something that comes to mind with me is that Neil Lennon needs to take responsibility for Neil Lennon.

“I thought his conduct, before this incident, was shocking and, quite frankly, I will be amazed if the football authorities and even Police Scotland don’t decide that they need to have a word in his ear to say ‘Look, you can’t do that in these circumstances.’

“He really could have caused a riot last night. If some of the Hearts fans could have come on to the pitch, some of the Hibs fans could have came on to the pitch to react to that.

There’d have been a lot of trouble, a lot of people would have been assaulted and a lot of arrests.

“It’s crazy, he lets himself down by doing that.”

So after a very brief slapping down of the f***wits who actually engaged in the violent acts the inevitable 'but' was invoked by Gray who then goes on to have a lengthy rant about Lenny's behaviour and how he could've sparked a riot. So if that Hearts fan and his buddies, not satisfied enough with smacking the guy in the face with a coin, had ran amok then that's ultimately down to Lenny because he had the audacity to have a laugh at their expense and let them see him doing it? Never mind the fact that they would've been spewing all sorts of sectarian vitriol at Lenny for the 90 mins prior to that.

Ok so by that logic then the next time Kyle Lafferty or Shay Logan mouth off and make gestures towards the Celtic fans, which they've done in the past and which was far worse behaviour than Lenny's, and some numbnut decides to smack them with a coin or worse some Celtic fans decide to riot we can expect Gray to go on TV and give those fans a brief slap down but ultimately lay the blame for the fans behaviour at the doors of Lafferty and Logan? Aye right somehow I don't see that happening!

Les Gray's comments are shocking, this is a former Police chief remember not some Hearts or Sevvie fan who's looking to deflect attention away from their vile treatment of Lenny, this is a guy who was part of the Police hierarchy in Scotland until only recently ffs and this is his attitude!

Worse still Gray also expects his former colleagues to 'have a word' with Lenny about how HE behaves! Yep the guy who has been racially and religiously abused week in week out for the last 18 years, the guy whose been violently attacked on 5 separate occasions by rabid bigots, the guy who's had bullets sent to him through the post by sectarian nutjobs should be paid a wee visit by Scotland's finest so they can 'have a word' with him about HIS behaviour according to Gray. UNF*****GBELIEVABLE!

I know nothing about Les Gray as a person but those comments are outrageous victim blaming no matter how he or anyone else tries to dress them up, he spent the majority of his time pouring scorn on Lenny's behaviour instead of those committing the actual violence and that's sinister in the extreme coming from a former Police chief. Only Gray knows his reasoning for making such comments but he done neither himself nor his colleagues any favours to dispel the beliefs of many who think there is an endemic problem with anti-Irish and anti-Catholic attitudes not only in certain sections of Scottish society but also within the ranks of Scotland's Police force itself.

Members online

Latest posts

Back