Interesting Statistics

Smelltheg-love

Having a wee beer or two and arguing with my pal
Covid breach yes, but i've made him wear a mask and PPE
I've just turned the heating on because he doesn't agree with me :ROFLMAO:

We're now on the same number of games as when it was called last year

P 30 W 26 D 2 L 2 GF 89 GA 19 PTS 80

P 30 W 19 D 7 L 4 GF 64 GA 23 PTS 64

The big surprise for me is that we are not much worse than last year for goals conceded and this is against the backdrop of an apparent disaster of a season for many of our defenders

What is not surprising to me is the difference between last season and now is the lack of a forward line.
25 goals of a difference in 30 games. Nearly a goal a game and more accurately if you added a goal in 5 out of every 6 games,
what would the difference be.

Points dropped this season in following games.

Possibly 7 draw turned into wins
Beaten by a goal on 3 occasions
We're 18 behind the huns having lost to them twice

It's all shite I know, but just for perspective, i think the defence has possibly been over analysed because of the piss poor return from forwards.

Is this the problem we really need to fix next season rather than the defence

The big surprise for me is that we are not much worse than last year for goals conceded and this is against the backdrop of an apparent disaster of a season for many of our defenders

What is not surprising to me is the difference between last season and now is the lack of a forward line.
25 goals of a difference in 30 games. Nearly a goal a game and more accurately if you added a goal in 5 out of every 6 games,

It's all shite I know, but just for perspective, i think the defence has possibly been over analysed because of the piss poor return from forwards.

I see the point your trying to make Stg, but whenever you concede a goal as a team you can usually pinpoint players not doing there jobs properly where goals could have been avoided.
For us this season the quality of goals we are conceding have been ridiculously poor also.
You are right to highlight the lack of goals, but when you look at the service been provided with the lack of movement and quick one touch passing in and around the area its hardly surprising to see a lack of goals scored which in turn always keeps the opposition in a game.
Would expect a half decent manager to correct that

Coming off a quad treb .....losing the 10.....is hard to take in......especially when the huns are winnin all in front of them......but aye sometimes its guid to look back and what ifs.....so I see where you are comin from and wid be a great discussion o'er a beer.....

Personally I just want us tae move on....get it done properly ....or these bastards will be runnin the show until we stop it......they will be in the CL next season and if Gerrard stays and adds to his team, well lets see......We MUST get it right for the immediate future and get back into the CL......thats where 'it's at'.....🍀

Makes for interesting reading mate but don't think I can ever remember a season when every time we conceded a corner or free kick I was expecting the worst..must have been at least 14 goals to date ..defence was never settled injuries recruitment and I would suggest very unsettled by the goalkeeper situation ...so based on your stats we can expect this to be much improved next season ..up front ..was there for all to see ..badly let down by both Eddie and Griff and recruitment was shite there as well. Can only get better on both fronts 👍

I see the point your trying to make Stg, but whenever you concede a goal as a team you can usually pinpoint players not doing there jobs properly where goals could have been avoided.
For us this season the quality of goals we are conceding have been ridiculously poor also.
You are right to highlight the lack of goals, but when you look at the service been provided with the lack of movement and quick one touch passing in and around the area its hardly surprising to see a lack of goals scored which in turn always keeps the opposition in a game.
Would expect a half decent manager to correct that
Coming off a quad treb .....losing the 10.....is hard to take in......especially when the huns are winnin all in front of them......but aye sometimes its guid to look back and what ifs.....so I see where you are comin from and wid be a great discussion o'er a beer.....

Personally I just want us tae move on....get it done properly ....or these bastards will be runnin the show until we stop it......they will be in the CL next season and if Gerrard stays and adds to his team, well lets see......We MUST get it right for the immediate future and get back into the CL......thats where 'it's at'.....🍀
Makes for interesting reading mate but don't think I can ever remember a season when every time we conceded a corner or free kick I was expecting the worst..must have been at least 14 goals to date ..defence was never settled injuries recruitment and I would suggest very unsettled by the goalkeeper situation ...so based on your stats we can expect this to be much improved next season ..up front ..was there for all to see ..badly let down by both Eddie and Griff and recruitment was shite there as well. Can only get better on both fronts 👍

Yes but my point is simply put
When your winning and conceding shit goals 🤷‍♂️ Who gives a fuck, not me nor anyone
But this season we are analysing them cos they’re match changing goals

Thats actually really interesting! I thought our goals conceded would have been near double last season.
Not having a fit and firing Eddy and Griff this season has definitely cost us, thats been obvious for a while..
Oh and I've phone the polis on you, covid rule breaking bugger, only huns are allowed to do that!

Thats actually really interesting! I thought our goals conceded would have been near double last season.
Not having a fit and firing Eddy and Griff this season has definitely cost us, thats been obvious for a while..
Oh and I've phone the polis on you, covid rule breaking bugger, only huns are allowed to do that!
Aye but my mate is big Ian 🤷‍♂️🤣
He’ll club you to death with his sober fist

I agree when I argued the point my pal made me prove it and when I did not only was I correct in the goals for chart, but I was shocked at the meagre diff in goals against
You would have thought this was worst season ever but it’s really not that bad to be honest 🤷‍♂️

I agree, it's not as simple as blaming individual defensive errors, but neither can we blame the forwards (except in so far as they may have taken the huff).

We appeared to recruit Duffy (a big, physical presence, or so we thought) in response to criticism of Jullien not being strong enough. But at the time the real problem was our shape and game plan. Too often, Jullien was being stranded one-on-one last man against a workmanlike, pacy forward because our ponderous, square passing repeatedly led to the ball being intercepted with 8 or 9 players upfield and thus out of the game. your school PE teacher screaming at you not to pass the ball square across the defence knew better than that.

This idiocy reached its costly peak against Ferencvaros where a strikerless team rotated the ball ahead of a packed Ferencvaros defence with no idea of how to get through their block, leaving us man-to-man at the back, basically begging to be beat.

The farce became more noticeable when Duffy arrived, a player far less capable one-on-one than Jullien. i believe that shattered Duffy's confidence.

Our stats are never going to vary too wildly because the domestic opposition are dire but our game plan is non-existent and there is no mitigating factor that excuses that.

The biggest factor in our demise this year has been no fans..no question....it has worked to the huns advantage and our disadvantage.....they have had no pressure from their fans and are playing without fear and have everything to prove and gain....we are missing the drive that our fans give particularly if we are chasing a late goal.teams coming to our empty , souless manor are also playing without fear and are inspired by it..forget conspiracies etc...we have had far worse defences than this one yet have won games...fanless Celtic are going through the motions much like Liverpool are down south and Barcelona and Real Madrid in Spain

Last edited:

Ask Eddy.

Aye but my mate is big Ian 🤷‍♂️🤣
He’ll club you to death with his sober fist

I agree when I argued the point my pal made me prove it and when I did not only was I correct in the goals for chart, but I was shocked at the meagre diff in goals against
You would have thought this was worst season ever but it’s really not that bad to be honest 🤷‍♂️
It maybe isn't actual number of domestic goals conceded but rather the manner in which we concede that is the problem. We let in far too many cheap goals from set-pieces where often the biggest player on the opposition gets a free header. Although it reflects badly on our goalies, we must have by far the lowest shot saved % of any senior team - I'm not entirely blaming the keepers as I feel they are left far too exposed so that our opponents get an unchallenged shot against them.

I think too the condensed nature of the European games this season where they were one after another and quite frankly we were appalling in, also reinforced that our defending was terrible. Games came thick and fast and we had statistically the most leaky defence in European Group stages.

Defending has to be done by the whole team these days including our front players, but we just seem to leave it up to our back 5 plus Broony (or Soro on the odd occasion Lennon deemed him worthy of getting a game). We just seem to lack organisation and there seems to be little thought to practice into improving this side of the game other than you cover this area and you cover that. I'm not sure how sticking with Kennedy who has been an important part of our training for what 6 or 7 seasons now is suddenly going to fix this problem, as he clearly has done nothing to practice this for the last few years.

Those are interesting stats, the gf figures will probably have a few pointing the finger at eddy but I personally think the lack of gf is down to the fact that we played the lone striker one game and paired strikers the next, sometimes played without one at all with three on the bench. I listened to JK talk of consistency in his interview, that's not easy to achieve when we are constantly chopping and changing formation, tactics and personnel. We are a club renowned for playing on the front foot yet weve seen the 1 up front again and again v the likes of Ross county, toiling away with the one until the last 10 minutes or so has been very disappointing to us all. We have seen the midfield maintain its dynamic despite the slow phasing out of broony, we need to form a partnership between klimala and eddy with a view to eddy being replaced with Ajeti or Griffiths. I'd like to see 3 up front given the attacking options we have it won't be a big ask for those guys to deliver but we have to play them together first. JK talking of doing the basics right at the back is great but I'd have thought that was his department anyway and yes weve been unfortunate with defensive injuries but one players misfortune should be another's opportunity at a club like ours. We have seen that in Welsh we have the talent at the club but weve persevered with Duffy who's been miles off it for whatever reason and failed to get in Davies and Doughty for the sake of saving some cash but spent it on wages for 2 EPL and a serie a defender, boggles the mind those decisions and its cost us badly.

Members online

Latest posts

Back