Is it time to ditch VAR altogether? BR says it is. Vote.

Ditch it?

• Yes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Parts of it.

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Not for me. I think the rules are too subjective and need to be clearer or at a minimum decisions explained during the games so everyone watching at least knows how they’ve reached it. Otherwise it lacks transparency even if we ditch it, the refs are completely unaccountable. That doesn’t happen in any other job.

Not for me. I think the rules are too subjective and need to be clearer or at a minimum decisions explained during the games so everyone watching at least knows how they’ve reached it. Otherwise it lacks transparency even if we ditch it, the refs are completely unaccountable. That doesn’t happen in any other job.
The way its being applied right now its spoiling the game. You can't even celebrate a goal in case there was some spurious incident in the build up. My mates of the view that the laws of the game of association football should apply at every level from the grass roots to the top level, now I know that contradicts the goal line technology part but I'm sure we all agree that that part was an improvement not a hindrance.

VAR should be ditched until we have competent enough officials to use it properly. We currently have the worse officials in the 55 years I've been going to games, using these same officials to use VAR is doubling the incompetence, doubling the chance of error and doubling the conspiracy theory of bias (from supporters of all teams).
Improve the officials then re-introduce when they reach a level of competence.

I've put yes. To me that means we go back to just having goal line technology as thats what we had before VAR was introduced.
Which is why I chose " parts of it" the goal line tech must stay , which is part of it. The lampard " goal" v England I think would've made it 2-2 is the incident for me that really pushed it forward.
Though hold on a minute, video ASISTANT referee, since when was that upgraded to thee referee?
I have a feeling , aided by the rabble in spurs v Liverpool refs ear that too many cooks etc.
Also we hear that var goes to another building and is analysed away from the emotion of the game.
Does that mean Stockley Park is heaving with mibs all week?
Are they watching every game in each division there?
Hadn't thought about it.

Also I'd have thought that of the two games rugby over football would be tougher to referee but these guys are making it so a game of draughts would be difficult.

We should give them an incentive not to fail, if you fuck up then you're scrubbing showers for the next week.
Actually that's probably an incentive to fail, might get offered next Celtic job.

VAR should be ditched until we have competent enough officials to use it properly. We currently have the worse officials in the 55 years I've been going to games, using these same officials to use VAR is doubling the incompetence, doubling the chance of error and doubling the conspiracy theory of bias (from supporters of all teams).
I would also add that if VAR is to stay then the refs and Var assistants HAVE to have LIVE MICROPHONES

Whether it's used as another tool or not against us.
The fact is its ruining the live spectacle as a supporter or viewer.

The stoppages for the players and supporters is taking everything away from the instant and the game feels completely different from what it was.
I honestly didn't like VAR before we got it in Scotland.

I've been watching the odd championship game and have to say enjoyed the flow of the games without VAR again.

I wouldn't miss it at all.

Bbc Shortbread asking what one thing would you change about VAR..... Bet they dont talk about my suggestion of not having Rankers fans in the VAR studio.

VAR is good in theory, in Scotland there is still to much secrecy because of the "Agenda" to make it viable... But getting neutral people in the studios will be near impossible.

Bbc Shortbread asking what one thing would you change about VAR..... Bet they dont talk about my suggestion of not having Rankers fans in the VAR studio.

VAR is good in theory, in Scotland there is still to much secrecy because of the "Agenda" to make it viable... But getting neutral people in the studios will be near impossible.
I'm not talking about just Scotland nor is BR. I mean worldwide.

The first live trial of the VAR system was in July 2016 in a friendly match between PSV and FC Eindhoven

January 8th 2017/2018 VAR was trialled for the first time in the UK at a Brighton v Crystal Palace FA Cup game.
That's 5 full seasons of football and still it's no better, so where these " competent officials" are coming from idk Gary.
The Italians opened the first var training facility also in 2018.

The first documented criticism of var came after the 2017 Confederations Cup as creating more confusion than clarity I see nothing today that's changed, especially for a punter sat in a stadium faced with " VAR checking potential blah blah" it's our game give it back.

VAR can be called upon for four key on-field incidents:

• Goals and offences leading up to a goal
  • Penalty decisions and offences leading up to a penalty decision
  • Red card decisions
  • Cases of mistaken identity
This is what var was supposed to be used for though immpretty sure it's over-reached its remit many times now.

Get rid of the refs. They are an inconsistent and full of their own egos. Bring in foreign refs as we are unique in Scotland , our refs are bigoted biased against us. Our refs are not even to be trusted reffing schools football ⚽
Remember this was done on the back of the referee strike and must say they weren't any better but we could at least put it down to just being inadequate rather than corrupt and incompetent.

VAR should be a good additional tool to help referees avoid making big errors. But the way football has decided to introduce it is shambolic. They have refused to learn from how other sports use this technology, probably through arrogance of knowing better.

Of course, there is the added complication here is Scotland where it is the same biased incompetent officials using VAR as an extra means to assist the club they support! That won't change until there is a complete overhaul of Scottish football, and that won't happen in my lifetime!

just make it transparent and properly accountable, imo

should have live feed of the VAR team coms with ref to hear wtf they are thinking and why. Ive noticed some games in europe have video game version of offsides rather than actual slow motion, should be binned this part with AI now capable to deep fake. and computer version too easily manipulated.

Would be easy to voice up ref like american football explaining decisions over tannoy for fans to understand wtf just happened with red cards or changed decisions in stadiums too

But whoever is var ref should be known and seen and audio of what he/she is saying should be public domain or at least available to managers to clarify later.

still photos of any incident should never be used and unclear decisions should go in favour of defending team rather than picking 1 version of video that looks beneficial to attacking team. hand ball rules should be clarified too especially at high speed ball. too many nonsense penalties where player clearly didnt hand ball intentionally.

eg ball goes over defenders head hits player he cant see and ball then hits his hand. penalty given is nonsense.

too many nonsense fouls given imo

each team manager should be able to get full report of audio with what they are basing it on, the actual video links synced to audio at very least

with 10s of millions of income at stake it needs to be more transparent and accountable to weed out bias whether deliberate or inherent or worse to fit the var team betting slip

membership of secret societies should be declared and imprisonment if caught lying when found in the local lodge with the lads

Last edited:
Back