Joe Hart Appreciation Thread

You have a lot more knowledge about playing goalkeeper than anyone else on the Noise, SP. I'm interested in what your thoughts on the reasons why all of our recent goalkeepers have not dominated the box as you'd imagine a GK of their size should do?

Is it the way our GK coach Woods insists on them playing? Or do we target buying goalies who play this way? Is it the way modern football has gone and goalies prefer to remain rooted to their goalline when defending? Or a combination/none of these reasons?

I'd say Boruc was our last keeper that would dominate his box. Fraser Forster was a beast of a player but relied mainly on his short stopping ability when defending set pieces. Craig Gordon was the same and so is Hart. It drives me mad seeing so many crosses into our 6 yard box that our goalies are not even challenging for. I'd rather have a keeper clean house and clear the ball rather than stand on the line relying on their reflexes to save any header/shot.

Now we have enjoyed a lot of success and some brilliant goalies in recent years, but is that because of - or despite - using this style of goalkeeping to defend set-pieces around our goalmouth?
It's a global pandemic amongst goalies, mate.

I really can't think of one top keeper who dominates his box anymore. I have a few theories on the subject though:

1. The modern balls are like 'floaters' nowadays and I think a lot of keepers don't trust the flight patterns.

2. I think the modern players are too muscular and lose a little bit of their natural agility because of heavy muscle mass. Interesting that you mention the Holy Goalie because I doubt that hours spent in the gym were pretty high up on his list of priorities. The boy had a tendency to carry an extra pound or three, but you can't argue with his agility.

3. I think you're spot on when you suggest that the current trend might be for keepers to leave that type of job to their big centre-halves and that also seems to be the case across the globe.

I think it's important to note that it's not always the case that the goalie has to claim every ball coming into his 6-yard box, but with the extra latitude given to keepers, they should be doing more to stop a clean contact for an incoming header.

The recent semi against Aberdeen was a case in point. Wee Johnstone gave up too much space for the crosses to get in, but both those crosses had to travel 30-35 yards to land on heads....that should have been plenty of wriggle room for big Joe to get his bearings to at least prevent a clean contact.

It's a global pandemic amongst goalies, mate.

I really can't think of one top keeper who dominates his box anymore. I have a few theories on the subject though:

1. The modern balls are like 'floaters' nowadays and I think a lot of keepers don't trust the flight patterns.

2. I think the modern players are too muscular and lose a little bit of their natural agility because of heavy muscle mass. Interesting that you mention the Holy Goalie because I doubt that hours spent in the gym were pretty high up on his list of priorities. The boy had a tendency to carry an extra pound or three, but you can't argue with his agility.

3. I think you're spot on when you suggest that the current trend might be for keepers to leave that type of job to their big centre-halves and that also seems to be the case across the globe.

I think it's important to note that it's not always the case that the goalie has to claim every ball coming into his 6-yard box, but with the extra latitude given to keepers, they should be doing more to stop a clean contact for an incoming header.

The recent semi against Aberdeen was a case in point. Wee Johnstone gave up too much space for the crosses to get in, but both those crosses had to travel 30-35 yards to land on heads....that should have been plenty of wriggle room for big Joe to get his bearings to at least prevent a clean contact.
Thanks pal. I hope you are doing well?

I forgot to mention modern balls so that probably does play a part. But all the more reason to go out and punch it in my mind - the days of most goalies trying to catch crosses in a crowded box are probably gone now.

Maybe they are too preoccupied with their looks these days (can you imagine Hamish MacAlpine or Stewart Kennedy doing a shampoo advert?) and look at the previous generation of goalies with your bust noses and knackered knees and they think, nah - I'll just bide here and try to save any resultant shot!

It is a strange phenomena given goalies are usually well over 6 foot tall, built like brick shitehooses and get so much leeway from refs that it doesn't make sense that the norm these days is to not to meet the cross and dominate your box.

I know our goalie on the line phenomenon pre dates VAR, but I think theres something to be said about keepers not wanting to initiate contact as most opponents have a tendency to fall and roll at the slightest touch and with VAR being the way it is I wouldn't be surprised now if teams are actively stopping their keepers from being outside the 6 and launching themselves at the baw...

I know our goalie on the line phenomenon pre dates VAR, but I think theres something to be said about keepers not wanting to initiate contact as most opponents have a tendency to fall and roll at the slightest touch and with VAR being the way it is I wouldn't be surprised now if teams are actively stopping their keepers from being outside the 6 and launching themselves at the baw...
Canny get most keepers to come off there line when it’s simple enough,,then all of a sudden they’re 25 yards oot booting fuck oota cunts🤣🤷‍♂️crazy goalies eh!!

Canny get most keepers to come off there line when it’s simple enough,,then all of a sudden they’re 25 yards oot booting fuck oota cunts🤣🤷‍♂️crazy goalies eh!!
It's always been my view that all goalies are a wee bit mental (including SP 😜) and maybe they have to be to throw themselves around in the way they do and put their heads into trouble like Johnny Thompson.

“Cal is obviously an unreal player and a superb captain. He has stepped into a role where he has had huge boots to fill (replacing Scott Brown). Cal has not even tried to fill them – he has gone in his own direction and done a great job. I let him know straight from the off that if he needed anything from me, I would be right by his side. “Hopefully that combination has worked but you would be in a minority here if you don’t come in and want to give your best every day. I love it here. I couldn’t be any prouder to be part of this team, this club and this city. I’m honoured to put the badge on and work for Celtic.”
Joe HartJoe Hart.jpg

I just want to register my appreciation for the big man so that he knows. YOU WILL BE MISSED.
A wonderful signing, A great professional and a shining example to young pros coming through.
Not a bad word to say about him. I wish he were here for another year. THANKS Joe.
My wee grandson spoke to big Joe when he was getting his photo taken with him after the match and asked him please can you stay another season
He just smiled and nah son I’m done
Our Max just loves him to bits So he was a big bit gutted 🙏😓🙏😓

My wee grandson spoke to big Joe when he was getting his photo taken with him after the match and asked him please can you stay another season
He just smiled and nah son I’m done
Our Max just loves him to bits So he was a big bit gutted 🙏😓🙏😓
You give Max a big hug, from Western Canada, and tell him not to be too disappointed
Players come and go, but he'll remember meeting his big hero HH

Goalkeepers come and go. I seen a helluva lot of Celtic goalkeepers in my time, Big Jock sure bought a lot of keepers in his time , I know big Jock would have played without a keeper if rules allowed.He just didn't trust them. Joe Hart imo is not the greatest keeper we've ever had for the simple reason he doesn't command his box. He should be coming off his line and taking balls out the air. If he had done that then we wouldn't have lost so many goals from set pieces. That's my one and only criticism of him. He's kept in in games with wonderful saves , and crucial saves at that. I wish him well and thank him for his service to Celtic and I pray that he and his family can now have a great life. Thanks Joe all the best.☘️☘️

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back