John Hughes

It is with sadness in my eyes that I post on this day of all days. Yogi Hughes the original feed the bear has died at age 79. Still a young man no age at all in this modern world. Yogi you brought me joy with your play and goals. So many great afternoons and nights under the old Celtic park floodlights. My thoughts are with your family and the wider Celtic family at this very sad day for us all. R I P John Yogi Hughes and may perpetual light shine upon you for ever. 🙏🙏🙏

I , like so many of my generation , have great memories of Yogi !

As a boy I remember standing at the front of the Jungle during a game in the early 60's , at a time before Big Jock arrived and success for the club was a forlorn hope .
Celtic were not doing well and Big Yogi was getting pelters from some in the Jungle . Someone suggested that he was f*cking useless . Yogi shouted back ''Aye , but I'm getting £20 a week for it . How much are you getting !''

I also remember his exploits on a really cold icy pitch one winter ( again in the 60's ) when he played with a pair of trainers ( maybe wrong here but definitely not his usual football boots ) and danced around defenders scoring, might have been a hatrick ?
Someone on here may have the full story .

A real character and much loved ! R.I.P.

HH

I , like so many of my generation , have great memories of Yogi !

As a boy I remember standing at the front of the Jungle during a game in the early 60's , at a time before Big Jock arrived and success for the club was a forlorn hope .
Celtic were not doing well and Big Yogi was getting pelters from some in the Jungle . Someone suggested that he was f*cking useless . Yogi shouted back ''Aye , but I'm getting £20 a week for it . How much are you getting !''

I also remember his exploits on a really cold icy pitch one winter ( again in the 60's ) when he played with a pair of trainers ( maybe wrong here but definitely not his usual football boots ) and danced around defenders scoring, might have been a hatrick ?
Someone on here may have the full story .

A real character and much loved ! R.I.P.

HH
I remember that game when The Bear played with his ' sannies' on. It was against the forces of darkness, he left Kai Johansen demoralised. It was actually the traditional new year fixture. Big Yogi won 5-1 . The rest of the team weren't bad either ! Think he may have changed footwear at halftime as the pitch was very hard and slippy. Those are my memories anyway. Be interesting to see if there's any of the other auld codger's on The Noise agree ?

One of MY Heroes to Szee Yogi go down the wing with the ball at his feet was a joy to watch He was also a great header of the ball in a Scottish League vEnglish League match big Jack Charlton made a big thing of it stating that no way would Yogi score with a header past him and the big man made him eat his words if memory serves he scored twice with his head that night ,one other night comes to mind it was during the winter the pitch was a bit icey big Yogi turned up in his baseball boots to the usual abuse from the supporters from the the other side can’t remember who we played but Big John run rings round them HAIL AND FAREWELL YOGI YOU WERE A TRUE CELT

Wouldn't have known "yogi" as a player but that takes nothing away from the sadness felt.
That sadness is always felt from anyone who gives so much towards our club and "yogi" is up there now with so many who have gone before him still
R. I. P. "YOGI"
HH and YNWA 💚🍀

So another mortal has gone to join the Immortals. Yogi was the type of player you would be pulling your hair out in frustration at how bad he could be and in other times you witnessed a genius of a footballer. In the sixties my Dad took me to a Wednesday night game and in front of us climbing the Main Stand stairs was Yogi and John Divers, so the Bear was one of the first autographs I ever got.what comes to mind about Big John is winning the League Cup against the Huns and Yogi scored two penalties , his diving Headed goal against Leeds Utd at Hampden in the semi final of the European Cup and him running riot against Aberdeen whilst wearing Big Billy’s rubber soled trainers on a snowy pitch. I think we won something like 0-8 . Yogi wore the trainers in other games we won.that started the trend for all players in Europe to use trainers in snow conditions. Thanks for playing for the Hoops, John and R I P to you and God look after your Family.

RIP Yogi what a player🙏🍀🍀🍀🍀
Since I heard the news about the big man, I've been trying to find the words to express my gratitude for the fact that I got to see him play both at Parkheid and at other grounds, as a player he was immense the fact that other players have been called Yogi, is in itself, a testament to the big man, as I get older i unfortunatelyhave to witness the passing of my heroes. Big John was a Player a man who played for the Team and at today's value no price could be enough, skillful, yet unassuming, his passing reminds us that you don't have to be a superstar to be remembered for your talent.. Love to your family, remembered always, 💚🍀

Wouldn't have known "yogi" as a player but that takes nothing away from the sadness felt.
That sadness is always felt from anyone who gives so much towards our club and "yogi" is up there now with so many who have gone before him still
R. I. P. "YOGI"
HH and YNWA 💚🍀
John, the big man on his day was unstoppable on the wing he could terrify a team on a few occasions I was fortunate to see him marauding down the line in front of the stand at Parkheid, may be because I was only a kid at the time but to me he seemed to be a giant, and only as I grew older did I see the skill, but again I share the sadness of our Celtic family so big man RIP, 💚☘️ HH.

John, the big man on his day was unstoppable on the wing he could terrify a team on a few occasions I was fortunate to see him marauding down the line in front of the stand at Parkheid, may be because I was only a kid at the time but to me he seemed to be a giant, and only as I grew older did I see the skill, but again I share the sadness of our Celtic family so big man RIP, 💚☘️ HH.
Other than 2009 when I took my kids back to Scotland to prove to them I'm not the only cranky father, Glasgow is full of them.
My last day in Scotland was on April 25th 1965 Scottish cup final which I attended for the last time with my 4 brothers.
I couldn't go back to Pollock to get my own back on all the huns who gave us hell from 1958 when my brothers took me to my 1st Celtic game.
What a day to be transported to Australia, I know how Michael felt being transported to Botany Bay.
As many have said on here already Yogi was a fans favorite and had a big influence on the day. Its a sad day for my brothers and myself because its another player who we actually seen entertain us who no longer is with us.
Its great to see Celtic on Celtic TV but not the same as live.
RIP Big Man & Thanks for the great memories HH

I remember that game when The Bear played with his ' sannies' on. It was against the forces of darkness, he left Kai Johansen demoralised. It was actually the traditional new year fixture. Big Yogi won 5-1 . The rest of the team weren't bad either ! Think he may have changed footwear at halftime as the pitch was very hard and slippy. Those are my memories anyway. Be interesting to see if there's any of the other auld codger's on The Noise agree ?
I have always recalled it as being against them and in a 5-1 new years day match - however hearing of his passing I looked it up and was surprised to read it was actually against Aberdeen. The final score was 8-0 with Yogi scoring 5 of them 🍀 🍀 🍀
No matter I just loved him to bits - RIP Yogi.

I have always recalled it as being against them and in a 5-1 new years day match - however hearing of his passing I looked it up and was surprised to read it was actually against Aberdeen. The final score was 8-0 with Yogi scoring 5 of them 🍀 🍀 🍀
No matter I just loved him to bits - RIP Yogi.
Thanks Jinkybhoy; either way, another legend has left us .

So another mortal has gone to join the Immortals. Yogi was the type of player you would be pulling your hair out in frustration at how bad he could be and in other times you witnessed a genius of a footballer. In the sixties my Dad took me to a Wednesday night game and in front of us climbing the Main Stand stairs was Yogi and John Divers, so the Bear was one of the first autographs I ever got.what comes to mind about Big John is winning the League Cup against the Huns and Yogi scored two penalties , his diving Headed goal against Leeds Utd at Hampden in the semi final of the European Cup and him running riot against Aberdeen whilst wearing Big Billy’s rubber soled trainers on a snowy pitch. I think we won something like 0-8 . Yogi wore the trainers in other games we won.that started the trend for all players in Europe to use trainers in snow conditions. Thanks for playing for the Hoops, John and R I P to you and God look after your Family.
Thanks Saul you brought to mind the games I could not fully remember to see the bigMan go on a run was something to behold for a big chap his skill with the ball was outstanding but I can still see him with his rubber boots going hell for leather down the pitch something I was lucky to see RIP YOGI

Interesting article from Mike Maher, a tribute to Yogi then memories of Yogi's Bar in Coatbridge...

John Hughes Remembered, Yogi’s Bar Coatbridge, The Bhoys from St Pats...

Interesting article from Mike Maher, a tribute to Yogi then memories of Yogi's Bar in Coatbridge...

John Hughes Remembered, Yogi’s Bar Coatbridge, The Bhoys from St Pats...

That,for me, was a heartwarming trip down memory lane WC. One again I've been reminded as to how very fortunate my generation of bhoys and ghirls are. Wonderful read, Wonderful memories ❤

Members online

Latest posts

Back