Liam Scales to Aberdeen reports.

26+6=1

Lots of media, including the Celtic Star reporting Aberdeen are apparently interested in Liam Scales for next season if not permanently.
Scales is 24 but he went to university and got a degree in Geography. League Of Ireland to Celtic is a huge move; especially for somebody not expecting a couple of years coaching and development before their first team debut.
So I hope he goes on no more than a season-long loan, I'd be happy with him going to Aberdeen if he's guaranteed extensive first team football. Ideally he comes back Celtic ready. He won't get the opportunity to become that player at CP and it's unfair to expect him to.
I really hope he has the talent and opportunity to become a latter day Ralston.

Would be totally against it as things stand, and definitely not a permanent move for the time being.
The real question here is weather scales is really a LB? Not one imo, so could he be converted into a left sided CB? I strongly believe that he could be imo.
Of course there is no evidence to support such a claim, but would be surprised if we just dismissed it also.
With starfelt injured and CCV not confirmed as a permanent signing yet, the CB roles remains a current problem that hopefully gets resolved quickly.
However if we do get in a couple of CB, then maybe loaning scales to the Sheep in a CB position could be a great option for us to potentially benefit hugely from in the future imo.

Would be totally against it as things stand, and definitely not a permanent move for the time being.
The real question here is weather scales is really a LB? Not one imo, so could he be converted into a left sided CB? I strongly believe that he could be imo.
Of course there is no evidence to support such a claim, but would be surprised if we just dismissed it also.
With starfelt injured and CCV not confirmed as a permanent signing yet, the CB roles remains a current problem that hopefully gets resolved quickly.
However if we do get in a couple of CB, then maybe loaning scales to the Sheep in a CB position could be a great option for us to potentially benefit hugely from in the future imo.

Have to admit the Ralston analogy was influenced by the tone of the Celtic Star article. CB could well be the better position for Scales. Whichever the case I hope he has the talent and opportunity to become an elite Celtic player.

Celtic linked with Aberdeen youngster Connor Barron, maybe Scales will be part of a deal.
Don't think Scales will ever be good enough to play for us so if he can be used as a makeweight in a deal for someone Ange wants to sign (Scales was never an Ange signing) then good luck to him. Goodwin had a decent record with League of Ireland players at St Mirren.

Celtic linked with Aberdeen youngster Connor Barron, maybe Scales will be part of a deal.
Don't think Scales will ever be good enough to play for us so if he can be used as a makeweight in a deal for someone Ange wants to sign (Scales was never an Ange signing) then good luck to him. Goodwin had a decent record with League of Ireland players at St Mirren.
Thought did cross my mind admittedly Gary, but still believe it could be a big mistake on our behalf imo to let scales go.
More and more teams are going for the 3CB option these days and believe that VAR has increased that way of playing moreso with forwards tending to try and work more in front of a defender than off there shoulder as they use to.
VAR has given the forwards possibly a 3 foot disadvantage nowadays, so looking more so for the timing of the runs down the channels, the 3CB option is possibly seen as a better option in defending such attacks now imo.
Thinking letting scales go now, takes away that option for us, which could be vital for us, especially within European football imo.

I haven't given up on Scales yet. I saw enough in him to give him a chance. However, he needs a bit more experience in Scotland. I still think he could play left side of a 2 or 3 CB line-up.

But if giving him to Aberdeen for a season sweetens a permanent deal for Connor Barron then that would be good too. But I still want him back at Parkheid for a chance to prove himself in the hoops.

We need to see how the bhoy plays, there's a decent LCB in the fella but it was a big move for him.

Goodwin will probably get the lad playing on a regular basis & we will see if he's a player or not.
Can only wish the boy luck & hope he proves the doubters wrong

We need to see how the bhoy plays, there's a decent LCB in the fella but it was a big move for him.

Goodwin will probably get the lad playing on a regular basis & we will see if he's a player or not.
Can only wish the boy luck & hope he proves the doubters wrong
I agree. I think/hope there is a very decent player there. But for a foreign just playing intermittently while trying to adjust to living in a new country and trying to fathom the bizarre refereeing decision-making (you know, watching opponents blooter the snot out of your colleagues without any punishment while watching a player wearing hoops get a booking because a lone opponent is blundering up a blind alley decides to stop suddenly to initiate contact with a Celtic defender behind them and throw themselves to the ground).

He also has a wonderful goal scoring instinct for a defender which is always a very useful attribute to have.

Lots of media, including the Celtic Star reporting Aberdeen are apparently interested in Liam Scales for next season if not permanently.
Scales is 24 but he went to university and got a degree in Geography. League Of Ireland to Celtic is a huge move; especially for somebody not expecting a couple of years coaching and development before their first team debut.
So I hope he goes on no more than a season-long loan, I'd be happy with him going to Aberdeen if he's guaranteed extensive first team football. Ideally he comes back Celtic ready. He won't get the opportunity to become that player at CP and it's unfair to expect him to.
I really hope he has the talent and opportunity to become a latter day Ralston.
I'd rather see our players go on loan to top flight football or English championship level and without option to buy unless Ange isnt convinced.
Scales to Aberdeen on loan for a season would be a good move for all parties bearing in mind how Christie returned and ajer.
I'd rather not see these bhoys go to league 1or 2 as it's a step back downwards imo, the spfl is ranked highly now and way above league 1 and 2 levels.
Rodgers got it right keeping both mentioned players in view hopefully this can continue and we'll reap the benefits.
I dont think scales has let us down domestically but if he needs game time then clubs like Aberdeen are ideal. HH

I'd rather see our players go on loan to top flight football or English championship level and without option to buy unless Ange isnt convinced.
Scales to Aberdeen on loan for a season would be a good move for all parties bearing in mind how Christie returned and ajer.
I'd rather not see these bhoys go to league 1or 2 as it's a step back downwards imo, the spfl is ranked highly now and way above league 1 and 2 levels.
Rodgers got it right keeping both mentioned players in view hopefully this can continue and we'll reap the benefits.
I dont think scales has let us down domestically but if he needs game time then clubs like Aberdeen are ideal. HH
Why not start the season with him at CB whilst Starfelt is injured and give him some playing time. If he goes to Aberdeen, don't give them a buy clause.

I hate to see any other teams get any of our players on loan, particularly the likes of Goodwin who never has a good word to say after we have pumped his teams, in fact he often is quite disparaging.
Too many of them behave towards our team in this manner, getting sick of it.

I hate to see any other teams get any of our players on loan, particularly the likes of Goodwin who never has a good word to say after we have pumped his teams, in fact he often is quite disparaging.
Too many of them behave towards our team in this manner, getting sick of it.
to true can remember him at love street dancing with joy at a draw ,a park the bus display,i would hope any our players going out on loan would go to good attacking teams not playe 30 odd games in their 18 yrd box

The big O may well yet return also as I dont think Celtic have set the option to buy at a low ball figure. So the Belgians may baulk at the figure Celtic want.
It'll be a huge relief for us all to get jota and CCV deals over the line.
After that the type of signings Ange brings in will be very interesting to see.
He wants first team ready players.
I'd like to see young Tobi Olumayemi get a chance at being our no2 .
It appears Ange has given Barkas, Bain and Hazard their chances and none have taken them.
With Ryan Mullen allegedly on his way out and Barkas has left I think we must give the highly rated England u19 a chance eh?

Last edited:
The big O may well yet return also as I dont think Celtic have set the option to buy at a low ball figure. So the Belgians may baulk at the figure Celtic want.
It'll be a huge relief for us all to get jota and CCV deals over the line.
After that the type of signings Ange brings in will be very interesting to see.
He wants first team ready players.
I'd like to see young Tobi Olumayemi get a chance at being our no2 .
It appears Ange has given Barkas, Bain and Hazard their chances and none have taken them.
With Ryan Mullen allegedly on his way out and Barkas has left I think we must give the highly rated England u19 a chance eh?
Wee bit of web chatter about Siegrist. Last backup GK from Dundee Utd didn't do too badly.

Wee bit of web chatter about Siegrist. Last backup GK from Dundee Utd didn't do too badly.
I have admired his displays against us 26+ but tbh I would rather we give young tobi a shot.
He was on the bench last season once or twice and we must let these talents see a planned route to first team football.
If we dont we will continue to lose our young talent like we have been over the last season or 2 .
Hes the England u19 keeper and yes that's young but Abada is only 20 himself and had a superb first season.
I just think that before we go spending money on seigrist, a decent keeper weve all seen that, should we not give our own players the chance to show what they can do first?
I'd play him in the league cup along with some other youngsters like Murray.
The league cup has become nothing more than a confidence boost to the winners these days .
It wins no place in Europe and
with the winner taking home £300,000 in prize money. That is a record amount for the competition.

That’s more than the winners of the Scottish Cup will receive, with the prize money for winning that competition standing at £240,000. ( though this may have increased)

The moneys on offer to Scotland's clubs is pathetic and Doncaster should be sacked for hailing it as a massive success.
Scotlands premiership receiving far less than Poland's is pathetic and worse still less than finlands top flight is embarrassing.
How can Doncaster claim this a success?
When you look at match day income of Scottish football its miles in front of the rest of Europe including the big 5 leagues so youd think that the powers that be could negotiate a far better deal with someone rather than anyone .
I mean look at this

Screenshot_20220608-111343_Chrome.jpg
A disgrace and we are being let down dismally .

Very interesting reading is this wee bit of data I stumbled upon well worth a read to see how underpaid our game is

☝️Edit : go into that Twitter thread and you'll see loads of charts where we are being failed miserably .
How can Doncaster claim success when Celtic earn our own money and the gap to the rest is enormous including sevco despite their European successes 🤬🤬

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back