Liam Scales

I think Scales did so well when he stepped in at the start of the season that he deserves a contract extension. As per my comment yesterday about Bosun Lawal, it is a sensible and should be a fairly cheap option that it would be silly not to follow through on it.

But, he should be considered as a stand-in squad player. We need to bring in a solid, experienced CB to partner CCV. We know that at certain points in the season, we will definitely need a couple of other CBs at least to step in when necessary. Scales is more than capable of fulfilling that role.

As for not being good enough for Europe, Liam actually has more official MotM awards in Champions League matches this season than Man City's Haaland!!! 😉

As well as hoping that he is only being considered as a backup player who MAY develop over time into our main CB, I would also question why he has been given such a lengthy contract? It is understandable wanting to tie-in your best young players into long contracts, but we just seem to do this as standard for every player, which becomes a financial burden on the club as they don't want to leave if they fail without a big pay out. IMO, instead of frittering so much money away like this, it would be better investing the same amount in fewer players with more experience, as they have a higher chance of succeeding.

Well done Liam, but I hope that this is not seen as our club dealing with this position now and then moving onto the next one (i.e. a young, lightweight, injury-prone, inconsistent, foreign winger who cannot dribble past anyone, who struggles to put in a cross but loves to fire greedily blast a long range effort into row Z when a teammate is a better option and only shows up in a quarter of his appearances before leaving the club on loan somewhere).

Scales seemed to let indecision creep into his game in the latter part of the season. don't know how many time I shouted "just pass the fecking thing liam", he would dither then rush his pass. That and his positioning is suss. All he need to do is collect the ball and give it to someone more creative, and/or be ready for a return pass. Do that he's a solid no nonsense CB, an thats what we want in defender.

To be fair Bud the entire midfield did hide in the Dundee game which caused chaos at the back
Money doesn’t guarantee players will turn up
Heart makes players show up
I doubt CCV gives a flying duck about cash when on the pitch but he gives everything to win it
Agree all players make mistakes even when Scales was good he made mistakes and even if his great form returns well you get the picture.
And I’m not sure any Manager has favourite players but they’ll always pick the ones he can rely to go and fight for it
We don’t have enough players who fight
Palma disappears as does Bernardo
Yang gets bad press from some on here
But get the ball to him he goes forward and never stops trying.
And these are the players we have been given by the failed Lawwell family. It’ll take at least 2/3 windows to get most off the books sadly
But if a left sided CB is bought and better than Scales
Brendan will play him not Scales
We need professionals doing the job not Accountants who play football manager
Or hangers on like the current back room team.
Put the right people in the jobs and real continued success will happen
Problem is our Board

HH🍀

Yep!

We need new blood on the coaching scene. Alex Ferguson changed his 2IC regularly to bring in modern and fresh ideas. We need to do this imo…

Scales seemed to let indecision creep into his game in the latter part of the season. don't know how many time I shouted "just pass the fecking thing liam", he would dither then rush his pass. That and his positioning is suss. All he need to do is collect the ball and give it to someone more creative, and/or be ready for a return pass. Do that he's a solid no nonsense CB, an thats what we want in defender.

We’re not playing at the same tempo as we were under Ange. There’s not as much movement either.

This may be a contributing factor as to why we’re hanging on to the ball too much at times. It’s also a reason in my view why Kyogo isn’t scoring as freely as he was previously…

Agree way that mate…a lotta players know before a pass comes to them where they’re putting it,the big man just needs to sort that side out and he’ll be ok(not top notch just ok)🤣

Back