Maeda

No doubt we will have to suffer James Forrest starting (he should be used as a sub only), and Mikey Johnston on the bench (he shouldn't be there) for the busy period up to the winter break. Should be the ideal opportunity to introduce Rocco Vata but that isn't happening since he wants out (and who can blame him?)

Should have enough cover

Harte

Johnson Or (Ralston)
CV
Scales or (Rocky)
Taylor Or (Scales)

McGregor
O'Riley Or (Turnbull)
Holm

Palma
Kyogo Or (Oh)
Yang Or (Forrest)

Iwata Bain Siegrest Johnson Turnbull Rocky Ralston Bernardo Bernabu Forrest

Hatate Meada (injured)

With Maeda joining Abada and Hatate on the sidelines the lack of pace in the team is worrying. I know BR's style of play is a slower, more possession based football than Ange's, but the injection of pace would come from one of these three. No one can inject a burst of pace on the wing or from midfield like one of these three. Yang our best hope of a bit of pace from the wing, but will he even play? McGregor our only midfielder who can burst forward with a bit of pace but he sits too deep.
Expect a long and laborious day, growing increasingly frustrated watching 'the horseshoe' against the most defensive team in the league

This highlights again the folly of coming out of this summer's transfer window with only Kyogo, Oh and Maeda as recognised strikers. Oh was injured at the time, Kyogo has suffered periods out through injury and his shoulder can go at any time in training, playing or simply doing things around the house.

To expect them to play up to 60 matches (plus travelling around the world for internationals), often twice a week in, based in a very physical league where every game is a must win was asking too much. There was very little leeway to account for injuries, suspensions and loss of form. Last season Kyogo & Maeda were nearly always subbed off after 60 minutes but this season it is of 75+ minutes or sometimes not at all.

I hope Maeda & Abada return soon and regain their form immediately, Oh steps up and grabs this opportunity with a lot of goals and Kyogo stays fit, otherwise it could be a tougher than necessary run of games to January.

Hopefully then we bring in an extra striker, even if they are primarily for the 30 domestic games where we need to break down a parked bus.

With Maeda joining Abada and Hatate on the sidelines the lack of pace in the team is worrying. I know BR's style of play is a slower, more possession based football than Ange's, but the injection of pace would come from one of these three. No one can inject a burst of pace on the wing or from midfield like one of these three. Yang our best hope of a bit of pace from the wing, but will he even play? McGregor our only midfielder who can burst forward with a bit of pace but he sits too deep.
Expect a long and laborious day, growing increasingly frustrated watching 'the horseshoe' against the most defensive team in the league
It was said on Celtic tv a couple of weeks back that Jamsie Forrest is the fastest player at Celtic according to the training stats.... Make what you want of that 🤔😂🤔🤔

This highlights again the folly of coming out of this summer's transfer window with only Kyogo, Oh and Maeda as recognised strikers. Oh was injured at the time, Kyogo has suffered periods out through injury and his shoulder can go at any time in training, playing or simply doing things around the house.

To expect them to play up to 60 matches (plus travelling around the world for internationals), often twice a week in, based in a very physical league where every game is a must win was asking too much. There was very little leeway to account for injuries, suspensions and loss of form. Last season Kyogo & Maeda were nearly always subbed off after 60 minutes but this season it is of 75+ minutes or sometimes not at all.

I hope Maeda & Abada return soon and regain their form immediately, Oh steps up and grabs this opportunity with a lot of goals and Kyogo stays fit, otherwise it could be a tougher than necessary run of games to January.

Hopefully then we bring in an extra striker, even if they are primarily for the 30 domestic games where we need to break down a parked bus.
Thats why I was surprised about Brendans comments about a smaller squad, I agree about better quality obviously but over the season we need circa 25 to 30 if a squad.

Should have enough cover

Harte

Johnson Or (Ralston)
CV
Scales or (Rocky)
Taylor Or (Scales)

McGregor
O'Riley Or (Turnbull)
Holm

Palma
Kyogo Or (Oh)
Yang Or (Forrest)

Iwata Bain Siegrest Johnson Turnbull Rocky Ralston Bernardo Bernabu Forrest

Hatate Meada (injured)
Has anyone even seen Seigrist?
With Maeda you get that "woosh" when he walks by like the train has just passed but Seigrist?

Thats why I was surprised about Brendans comments about a smaller squad, I agree about better quality obviously but over the season we need circa 25 to 30 if a squad.
Brendan said he'd like 25 first team players - 3 goalies and 2 each for outfield position. Because of the brutality of where we play, I'd add in an extra defender, midfielder & striker into our squad.

I'd buy less projects and spend the same amount (or even more seeing as we make big profits) to bring in players with a bit more experience. Developing our own youths instead should be more of a priority - this is now easier than ever with 5 subs from 9 on the bench.

One other thing to bear in mind that several of us pointed out at the start of the summer transfer window is that we will almost certainly be missing 2 if not all 3 of our strikers (Maeda, Oh & probably Kyogo) for most of January because Japan & South Korea have qualified for the Asia Cup in Qatar. There is a good chance both sides will go far in this tournament.

It would have been better to have a backup striker in our squad getting used to playing for us before we have to rely on them being our main forward.

Cue the rumours again about Jamie Vardy joining us in this window...!

Back