Match report written by Charlie Tully- Oct 1965, Celtic v Deidco League Cup Final

Richybhoy

I found this match report from October 1965. Celtic beat Deidco 2-1 in the league cup final on the Saturday. This is Charlie Tullys match report from The Daily Record on Monday 25/10/65.

You want the Tullyview on that penalty row that gave Celtic the League Cup at Hampden?
Well a word of warning before the maestro speaks. What you are about to read may shock you. So if you are squeamish, SWITCH YOUR TULLY OFF!
Here goes. I say it was definitely a penalty, no doubt about it. (And there's no truth in the rumour that I am related to referee Hugh Phillips!)
Here's how I saw the incident, Celtic outside right Jimmy Johnstone had beaten Rangers left back Davie Provan and was making for goal. Provan tackled from behind and brought the winger down.
Now if that wasn't a penalty my name isn't Charles Patrick Tully. Though to be fair, I think Rangers could almost have had a penalty too, when Tommy Gemmel nudged Wee Wullie Henderson.
But after the Rangers protests died away Big John Hughes stepped up to net his second spot kick of the day...a goal that finally gave Celts a 2-1 victory.
His first penalty was a real disaster. They're putting the Christmas lights up in Glasgows Buchanan street and Ibrox centre half Dave McKinnon had obviously caught the early festive spirit.
UP GOES RONNIE AS CELTS SANTA TO HANDLE A BALL THAT LOOKED AS DANGEROUS AS A BOX OF FIREWORKS IN A SWIMMING POOL.
Big Yogi was so clever with that spot kick that he sent goal keeper Billy Ritcie the wrong way.
To my mind Hughes was man of the match, not only for his goals but for his general brilliance. The Big Bear made a monkey out of the unfortunate Dane Kai Johanneson.
In the pubs of London Road on Saturday night the punters were saying that Johanneson is getting a special notice printed for his next meeting with Hughes. It reads: "Please don't feed the bear".
The match was won and lost in the first half, for that late own goal by Ian Young meant little to the result.
Celtic won because of those two penalty goals. Rangers lost because of two atrocious misses by Jim Forrest. Twice in the first fifteen minutes Forrest had beaten the goal keeper, yet failed to score.
At that stage of the game Rangers were playing a twin centre plan of Forrest and Davy Wilson. But it was soon shackled by a back to form Billy McNeil and hard grafting Bobby Murdoch.
Here's where Rangers made their first tactical blunder. They persisted in the old Ibrox tradition of attacking through the middle. In fact they were so much middle of the road men that they looked like walking adverts for the Liberal Party.
Their second tactical blunder involved Wee Willie Henderson. Wee Willie is world class.....he's almost as good as the winger who played for Celtic a few years ago...
BUT HE WILL HAVE TO LEARN TO READ A GAME. THE ONLY READING HE DID OF SATURDAYS GAME WAS IN THE SUNDAY PAPERS.
When he moved inside there was a Rangers revival. But why did he have to be told to move in. What was the use of him standing watching the play in the second half? He should have started to wander, off his own bat, in search of the ball when it wasn't getting planted in front of him.
Anyway I think that Celtic just deserved their win. For after surviving that early Forrest shock they were that bit ahead of Rangers as a team.
And I'll end as I began, defending referee Hugh Phillips. He booked five players- he could do nothing else- but I think he did a good job in a hard, bruising battle.
I don't agree with the Grannies who are moaning about the game being dirty. Sure it was hard, the hardest Old Firm game I have seen. But I say the fans loved the man to man play of the first half.
And remember, these were men playing in the greatest club game in the world, not wee girls playing hockey for their schools.
Charlie Tully- Monday 25th of October, 1965. (The controversial ex Celt who writes exclusively for Record Sport)

HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back