Offside Experiment

Richybhoy

I came across this from 1974. This is the first I have heard or read about this,

Final Whistle for offside
The offside experiment in the League Cup will NOT be tried again.
Clubs must make sure that a money spinning competition like this is not used as a hobby horse. The management committee were right to try an idea that they considered worthwhile. But not two years running. It has done nothing to improve the entertainment so it should be abondoned.

This was in "Candid Cameron" in the Daily Record on Monday 28 Oct 1974 after Celtic had beaten Hibs 6-3 in the League Cup Final.
Does anyone remember the OFFSIDE EXPERIMENT?
Rich

I came across this from 1974. This is the first I have heard or read about this,

Final Whistle for offside
The offside experiment in the League Cup will NOT be tried again.
Clubs must make sure that a money spinning competition like this is not used as a hobby horse. The management committee were right to try an idea that they considered worthwhile. But not two years running. It has done nothing to improve the entertainment so it should be abondoned.

This was in "Candid Cameron" in the Daily Record on Monday 28 Oct 1974 after Celtic had beaten Hibs 6-3 in the League Cup Final.
Does anyone remember the OFFSIDE EXPERIMENT?
Rich

Wonder if candid was actually neil hmmm

think yer spot on there BB,think ah wiz sober once and ah noticed it!
I'll go with BB and MD here as I also was sober once around that time and remember it a wee bit. To be fair to my auld deid paw, he had advocated a dotted line around 25yds from goal line outside which you could not be offside, years before the SFA experiment took place. It has always been a rule to be tinkered with. MIB's always had their own rules of course.

Spot on md and if a can remember they mucked about with the Glasgow Cup, if it wis a draw at full time the team with the most corners won ha ha, margin that the day right boys if your drawing make sure we get plenty of corners
jist found this Coysie
in the years between 1888-9 and 1946-7, the Glasgow Charity Cup was decided by corners, Celtic winning 8 and losing 4. It seems that if scores were level on corners, then the match was decided on the toss of a coin. Celtic lost the Charity Cup final to Rangers in 1929-30 by toss of a coin following a 2-2 draw after extra time, then from 1948-49 until the competition ended in 1960-61, it appears that drawn games in the Glasgow Charity Cup were decided solely by toss of a coin. Celtic won 5 and lost 3. Bizarrely, I can find only one instance of a game being decided by toss of coin in any other domestic competition: the Glasgow Cup of 1952-53, when Celtic lost to Queen's Park after a 2-2 draw at Hampden AET, full-time 1-1. This followed a 0-0 draw at Parkhead.

jist found this Coysie
in the years between 1888-9 and 1946-7, the Glasgow Charity Cup was decided by corners, Celtic winning 8 and losing 4. It seems that if scores were level on corners, then the match was decided on the toss of a coin. Celtic lost the Charity Cup final to Rangers in 1929-30 by toss of a coin following a 2-2 draw after extra time, then from 1948-49 until the competition ended in 1960-61, it appears that drawn games in the Glasgow Charity Cup were decided solely by toss of a coin. Celtic won 5 and lost 3. Bizarrely, I can find only one instance of a game being decided by toss of coin in any other domestic competition: the Glasgow Cup of 1952-53, when Celtic lost to Queen's Park after a 2-2 draw at Hampden AET, full-time 1-1. This followed a 0-0 draw at Parkhead.
Just seen your post MD thanks for your hard work I Knew i read it somewear,I thought they tried it out in the late 60 early 70

Back