Pick a season from the past

tommybhoy8881

If you could turn back the clock and you could go back to any season (going to games etc what season would you pick) daft question lol but I got asked it at work from a Dons fan and it got me thinking and my answer was surprising (first I picked Martin O'Neils first season with the treble) but I then changed it to 96/97 season even tho I was younger I can still remember going to the games and been very optimistic that we could finally stop rangers dominance and the bumblebee top with the 3 amigos (even tho it wasn't a successful season) actually I would pick Martin's treble just realised after writing this but it's a close call between the 2 (my primary and academy where both staunch rangers) so when rangers dominance ended it was not just good for Celtic but for me on a personal level ๐Ÿ˜‚โ˜˜๏ธ

Last edited:
Iโ€™m torn between 86 and 88. Two games I was at both involving the Dundee teams.
Dens amongst the Dees for Albert Kidd v league losing diets in 86.
Hampden amongst the Arabs in 88 for the centenary Cup Final and the Double. The only cup final I have ever been to at Hampden. What an ending to a cup final!!!! Frank McAvennie.
Like Shammy says 66/67 would be the ultimate. I was only 2 n a half then though.

Good question Tommy..

So many come to mind... Our first nine in a row season... The centenary season with Cesar at the helm..Martins first season and the road to Seville with all that went with it or The Tommy Burns as manager season perhaps the best Celtic side I've seen to not win the league. Ten men won the league in 79 and we had a right few last minute winners in that season, what a season, right down to Murdo Mclouds pile driver to make it 4 v 2 and seal the league title in our last game.

But really I would choose to revisit any of the seasons me and my auld da went together home and away either on the bus or by car... So 68 right through to 79 I suppose, although I do seem to have a fondness for the 1968 /69 season.... Being left at the cinema in Aberdeen till shutting time with all the ice cream I wanted, climbing in at Dunfermline,, sitting in the posh seats at Hampden for the semi finals and the final my first one against the departed fae Edminston drive 4 nuffin... Brilliant times to be a fan.

Ach they were awe good... In 85/86 I missed only 2 games which was no mean feat as I was staying in Dunoon at the time.... One was at Easter Road and the other was unfortunately love street or perhaps that would be higher up in my memory bank ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜•

Last edited:
I remember my gran lived right across the road from Celtic park and me and my brother was over getting signatures and annoni refused to sign any signatures and this old gran was shouting we pay your wages ya prick ๐Ÿ˜‚ think 96 meant alot because our staduim was nearly complete we also had new owners and started signing players from Europe and things where finally looking up and also when you think of games in the past you think of people who are sadly not with us anymore ๐Ÿ˜ž Celtic beating hearts 2.0 at Celtic park in 97 sticks in my memory cadete di canio (my uncle from Islay) my aunt's husband came to game with me and my step dad (first time ever been to a game) was more excited than me ๐Ÿ˜‚ he had the bumblebee beanie hat and small bottle of whiskey in his pocket (it's mental how you rem the small things) I'm sure it was the crystal bells pub we where in before the game and I was moaning because my step dad never left the pub until 15 min before kick off and we would always be 5 Min late for games ( that continued for years) now I do similar when I take my nephew ๐Ÿ˜‚

The obvious answer for me is 1966/67 but if it's a season that I have a better memory of and went to the games it would need to a revisit to the Centenary season.
From beating Morton 4-0 at an unusually sunny ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Cappielow on the opening day to 2 late McAvennie goals to win the cup at Hampden via Billy Stark's goal and Souness getting sent off in opening OF game, to the many last minute winners and missing the first half hour of the title decider at CP v Dundee trying to get in (official attendance 60,800, actual 72,000). Arrived at turnstiles in old Celtic End at my usual time of 2.55pm to be greeted by thousands trying to get in (in this days you could walk up at the last minute and go straight in).
My favourite season as a Celtic supporter, the drama, the history and also two cracking centenary strips

Last edited:
66/67 is a kind of black and white memory, but the two that were highlights were 88 and the centenary and 2003 to Seville.
If I have to pick one Iโ€™d go for 2003 because I was fortunate to go to Seville with my then 15 year old, oldest , son, my best pal, now gone, my sister in law and other close pals.
Still have the photo on the wall.
Although not a good memory remember walking away from Rugby Park desolate at the league going to the dark side On goal difference.
But Seville and the run to the final at Blackburn and Liverpool the absolute Celtic high on a personal experience basis
HH

66/67 is a kind of black and white memory, but the two that were highlights were 88 and the centenary and 2003 to Seville.
If I have to pick one Iโ€™d go for 2003 because I was fortunate to go to Seville with my then 15 year old, oldest , son, my best pal, now gone, my sister in law and other close pals.
Still have the photo on the wall.
Although not a good memory remember walking away from Rugby Park desolate at the league going to the dark side On goal difference.
But Seville and the run to the final at Blackburn and Liverpool the absolute Celtic high on a personal experience basis
HH
Ditto, although I didnt get to Seville I was in Menorca the week before and found myself trying to get a flight to Seville at the Airport instead of going home,(that went down like a ton of bricks with the burd I was with) it was a bittersweet Season, well maybe sweetbitter.

Ditto, although I didnt get to Seville I was in Menorca the week before and found myself trying to get a flight to Seville at the Airport instead of going home,(that went down like a ton of bricks with the burd I was with) it was a bittersweet Season, well maybe sweetbitter.
I went to Seville with my mate... Mon to Fri... I'd previously already booked a holiday to Benidorm with Mrs Shades and Shades Jnr who was only 18 months old at the time, problem was we were flying the Saturday after Seville, so I tried to convince Lady Shades to let me make my own way fae Seville and I'd meet her in Benidorm ๐Ÿ˜ฑ.... Needless to say I flew to Glasgow on the Friday and back to Benidorm on the Saturday ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Gettin' ready to leave for The Dear Green Place to pick up my daughter and her man before heading to Paradise. So, thought I'd have a look on the best Celtic forum in cyberspace, just to kind of, well, set the tone. Came across tommybhoy's post and thought; I wonder if my answer would be more or less stating the obvious given the generation of Celtic supporters I'm so very fortunate to be part of. I mean, how could it be anything other than 1966-67 ?

Thing is, though, that season was about more than the unprecedented-never to be equalled-epoch defining success. It was about putting in place the final piece of a fairy tale jigsaw. The realisation of the dream our founding fathers had. We, as a ( for a great many people in Scottish society ) less than welcome section of Scottish/Irish culture of different colours and creeds, threw off that ( even if subliminal ) inferiority complex. We were walking about with our heads held high, chest puffed out. We had found a place our forefathers could only dream of. We had climbed our Everest !

There are, of course, many many stand alone moments/ seasons/ players/ teams/memories we all have that are very much a part of our personal attachment to this very special, unique club of ours. For me, though, 1966-67 was the season Celtic Football Club changed from being a drop in the ocean.... to becoming a football tsunami!

Oh, and great thread, tommybhoy.

Last edited:
Gettin' ready to leave for The Dear Green Place to pick up my daughter and her man before heading to Paradise. So, thought I'd have a look on the best Celtic forum in cyberspace, just to kind of, well, set the tone. Came across tommybhoy's post and thought; I wonder if my answer would be more or less stating the obvious given the generation of Celtic supporters I'm so very fortunate to be part of. I mean, how could it be anything other than 1966-67 ?

Thing is, though, that season was about more than the unprecedented-never to be equalled-epoch defining success. It was about putting in place the final piece of a fairy tale jigsaw. The realisation of the dream our founding fathers had. We, as a ( for a great many people in Scottish society ) less than welcome section of Scottish/Irish culture of different colours and creeds, threw off that ( even if subliminal ) inferiority complex. We were walking about with our heads held high, chest puffed out. We had found a place our forefathers could only dream of. We had climbed our Everest !

There are, of course, many many stand alone moments/ seasons/ players/ teams/memories we all have that are very much a part of our personal attachment to this very special, unique club of ours. For me, though, 1966-67 was the season Celtic Football Club changed from being a drop in the ocean.... to becoming a football tsunami!

Oh, and great thread, tommybhoy.
Fantastic read mate ....enjoy the game mate โ˜˜๏ธ 3.0 to the bhoys

The very obvious answer would have to be 66/67 season, but seeing as I wasn't born I'm not sure I can include that one. It isn't just because we won everything, but it was on the back of a very long time of relative failure which would have made it all the sweeter.

So I guess it will have to be the Centenary Season. For the second half of the 1980s I was more obsessed with playing and watching American Football rather than fitba.

Also, I spent the 87/88 season studying at Uni in Ontario so missed all the excitement. I did watch the Cup Final in a wee pub in my lass's town though but nobody else was interested - although I did get a few strange looks for going mental when we scored the winner! ๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰

Back