RIP Jimmy Greaves

Saint and Greaves’s show in the 80’s was great tv, we was a genuinely warm and funny man

From his Wikipedia page ….
James Peter Greaves MBE (20 February 1940 – 19 September 2021) was an English professional footballerwho played as a forward. He was England's fourth highest international goalscorer (44 goals), Tottenham Hotspur's highest ever goalscorer (266 goals), the highest goalscorer in the history of English top-flight football (357 goals), and also scored more hat-tricks (six) for England than anyone else. He finished as the First Division's top scorer in six seasons. He is also a member of the English Football Hall of Fame.

total goal machine, who it it wasn’t for a cruel injury would have been a world cup winner for England, had his flaws as most genus’s do, liked a drink
My thoughts and condolences to his family
RIP 🙏

A wonderful goal scoring machine, and a man quite rightly proud of his English roots. And of course he was correct when he said "it's a funny old game". RIP Mr Greaves.
Absolutely Frank, loved watching him play when I was a wee boy ma Da used let me stay up on a Sat night to watch the highlights of the English league 1961 what Spurs team that was Jimmy and team mates the John White (The White Ghost)
Cliff Jones, Danny Blanchflower Dave MacKay to name a few in that era RIP Jimmy, memories, goalscorer supreme FACT Oh happy days, Frank they were the days of the Wooden Ships and Iron Men (footballers) in 50s and 60s real hard players nowadays, 50/60 years later these are the days Iron Ships and Wooden Men again only my opinion, just the way I see it a auld Dinosaur comes to mind
Ya

Absolutely Frank, loved watching him play when I was a wee boy ma Da used let me stay up on a Sat night to watch the highlights of the English league 1961 what Spurs team that was Jimmy and team mates the John White (The White Ghost)
Cliff Jones, Danny Blanchflower Dave MacKay to name a few in that era RIP Jimmy, memories, goalscorer supreme FACT Oh happy days, Frank they were the days of the Wooden Ships and Iron Men (footballers) in 50s and 60s real hard players nowadays, 50/60 years later these are the days Iron Ships and Wooden Men again only my opinion, just the way I see it a auld Dinosaur comes to mind
Ya
A good analogy there Chubbstar
When men were men, and football was their outlet, after a hard week's grind
The players were hard too
No quarter asked and none given
Unlike the divers of today in the game
RIP JG

Ya
A very fitting tribute Chubbster. Also have to say my memories of those times are very much in line with your own. A terrific tribute to a fabulous player.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back