RIP Pele

Sad news, I’ve always wondered just how good a player he “actually” was apart from the 4 world cups……never played in a top team or in a top league

All all that we know about him comes from 14 appearances in World Cup games

RIP 🙏
Pele was so brilliant that the Brazilian Government stepped in to make him a national treasure and it was enshrined in law that he could not move to a non-Brazilian club. Therefore it is not his fault that he never played at a "top team" (which is debatable as the Brazilian league was possibly as competitive as most European leagues at the time).

Pele was so brilliant that the Brazilian Government stepped in to make him a national treasure and it was enshrined in law that he could not move to a non-Brazilian club. Therefore it is not his fault that he never played at a "top team" (which is debatable as the Brazilian league was possibly as competitive as most European leagues at the time).
He ended up in the USA 🤔

Sad news, I’ve always wondered just how good a player he “actually” was apart from the 4 world cups……never played in a top team or in a top league

All all that we know about him comes from 14 appearances in World Cup games

RIP 🙏
On the one hand there were no red cards in peles day so he was fair game for hatchet men. On the other hand advances in Nutrition and sports science make me think messi > Maradona > pele. Always seemed humble though considering what he achieved.

On the one hand there were no red cards in peles day so he was fair game for hatchet men. On the other hand advances in Nutrition and sports science make me think messi > Maradona > pele. Always seemed humble though considering what he achieved.
Pele was brutally booted out of the world cup in 1966, repeatedly chopped down by a queue of opponents until carried off in agony, as no-one could cope with him (I think they abandonned the tournament after Brazil were put out as I've never heard anything about it since).

After this, Brazil decided they had to be more "European" in style (i.e. brutal thuggish foulers like 1970 dirty dirty Leeds) to win the World Cup in Europe. The result was they booted everyone off the pitch in 1974 - they kicked the shite out of Scotland when we drew 0-0. And the later match between Holland v Brazil which you you think would be a mouth-watering festival of beautiful football was an appalling foulfest throughout.

I don't think it is fair comparing players from different eras. Who can say who is better between Stanley Matthews, Garrincha, Albert Di Stefano, Pele, Johan Cruyff, Diego Maradona, Ronaldo, Zidane, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo or even James McGrory?

Last edited:
Apparently Pele was like Tommy Gemmel - a scorer of great goals and an excellent stand-in goalie. Imagine scoring a hat-trick in a high pressure semi-final and then finishing the game making crucial saves? It sounds like a corny Hollywood movie.

Back