Rules that need changed?

Winter

So I'm taking inspiration ( or desperation), call it what you will, from a few threads that are running concurrently at the moment.
Namely , The Offside Rule thread.
The VAR thread.
The VAR watch thread.
The VAR is not a shambles, it's a design thread.
The How the MIBS are manipulating VAR thread
The Another Honest Mistake thread
And other such threads.

And the objective is to ask what rules are we most disillusioned with?
What needs to be changed ?
If you could change a rule , what would you replace it with if anything?

Last edited:
So I'll fire away .
What really annoys me is this stupid offside rule where the linesman is instructed to NOT raise his flag when a player is clearly offside but to wait until the player chases the ball down at top speed for 30 metres often with an opposition defender sprinting with him and only once they get there, the linesman raises his flag.

It's stupid, its dangerous,
I'm positive that there will be injuries as a result of this daft rule as players from both sides go full pelt on a wet slidey Livingston pitch ( well that pitch is dangerous without being slidey)
A wet slidey grass pitch, full pelt , collision, or defender thinks hes beaten so hacks down the attacker .

Easy one this for starters ,
Solution = flag the player offside instantly as they once did before and players wont have to deplete energy levels for no reason , simples 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Heres a controversial one. When the ball goes out for a shy (throw in for the 'guests') you get the option to kick it in OR throw it in. Obviously most team would prefer to kick it, it is football after all.
This would lead to more balls kicked into the box almost as good as a corner.

I should add , I'm not suggesting that we get the laws of the game book out and cite rule 13a (iii) etc but just common sense things anyone can see must change, like referees with clear conflict of interest being used in games they shouldn't be.

There actually is a law for this I read the other day that states that can only happen if all other options have been exhausted, the SPFL are obviously exhausted very quickly

Heres a controversial one. When the ball goes out for a shy (throw in for the 'guests') you get the option to kick it in OR throw it in. Obviously most team would prefer to kick it, it is football after all.
This would lead to more balls kicked into the box almost as good as a corner.

Interesting Brimcbhoy, never saw that coming .
That could have a positive attacking effect upon the game, if the games Kilmarnock v Ross County.
If its Ross County v Celtic though and County win a throw in 25 yards into our half I could foresee a Ross County goal kick style ( throw/kick in) right back to their goalie?
Such is the negative anti-football that we face all the time here anyway

I like the idea Boab mentioned the other night regarding penalties.
We were talking about the side who's taking the penalty , should one of their players think their team mates about to miss he need only encroach a yard into the box and the penalty is a retake.
A rule easily abused.

Boab suggested that for all penalties , all players must gather in the centre circle and whether its saved , hits the post or not a goal , play restarts with a goal kick to the team thats facing the penalty.

Last edited:
This time added on nonsense as well.
Theres injury time that's now increased by several minutes if VAR has been used.

The extra minutes should go up on the big screen so everyone in the stadium knows exactly how much VAR time is added on to injury time.

Perhaps Gollums watch is wi-fi'd up to the big screen inside the stadium.
Though this would probably take a season and a half of ironing out teething problems and cost a fortune in cheapo digital casio watches for the referees who'd likely be against their wee bit of attention and all eyes on me and my watch time.

For me the biggest one I'd like to see is a 30 minute per half clock that stops when the ball is not in play. This negates the time wasting tactics where it takes a minute to take a goal kick, mucking about pretending to take a free kick or throw-in only to leave it for someone else who is 50 yards away to trot over, and even include time when a goalie is in possession in his hands so that this catching a cross standing for a couple of seconds then flopping over to lie holding the ball for ages before getting up and mucking about with it (this should be penalised as goalies are already supposed to release the ball within 6 seconds). Also these ridiculous substitutions in the 94th minute where the fanny does that ludicrous slow motion run off the pitch as he gets overtaken by the ref who is just walking to usher him off also become meaningless (plus refs pretty much NEVER account for this mucking about).

By having a game clock that gets stopped also means that you can introduce a sin bin for offences (otherwise we'd just end up with a succession of "injuries" or "cramps" to run down the sin bin clock while a team was short of numbers).

Yes, teams will still use these tactics to an extent to try to slow down hurry-up tactics like we use, but at least we will always get the full compliment of gametime for every match.

Also, not a change to the laws but I'd also like to see refs implement the obstruction law to stop talentless big lumps of defenders shepherding a ball out for a goalkick by holding off an opponent for a dozen yards but without actually touching the ball as it trundles out of play. This invariably results in a goalkick or a free kick to the defender as the attacker tries to keep the ball in play. Make players play football in a difficult position rather than reward players for illegally holding off others.

Last edited:
Also, I think that penalties should be changed. The fact that football is a sport where goals are relatively rare events that the punishment for often minor offences results in the award of a penalty that has such a massive impact on the result of the match.

Personally I would give penalties for professional fouls (irrespective as to where the offence takes place - the player may be scythed down on the halfway line to stop a good attempt on goal), fouls to stop clear goal-scoring chances and violent conduct. Otherwise I'd award a direct free kick (all free kicks should be direct - another change I've just thought of) where the offence took place or ten yards back from the goal line with a restriction of say 6 defenders between the ball and the goal.

If someone commits an offence that stops a certain goal (deliberately punching off the line or wiping out a player as he has a tap-in) then I'd award a goal without the need for a penalty (similar to a penalty try in rugby for anyone who watches egg chasing).

For me the biggest one I'd like to see is a 30 minute per half clock that stops when the ball is not in play. This negates the time wasting tactics where it takes a minute to take a goal kick, mucking about pretending to take a free kick or throw-in only to leave it for someone else who is 50 yards away to trot over, and even include time when a goalie is in possession in his hands so that this catching a cross standing for a couple of seconds then flopping over to lie holding the ball for ages before getting up and mucking about with it (this should be penalised as goalies are already supposed to release the ball within 6 seconds). Also these ridiculous substitutions in the 94th minute where the fanny does that ludicrous slow motion run off the pitch as he gets overtaken by the ref who is just walking to usher him off also become meaningless (plus refs pretty much NEVER account for this mucking about).

Yes, teams will still use these tactics to an extent to try to slow down hurry-up tactics like we use, but at least we will always get the full compliment of gametime for every match.

Also, not a change to the laws but I'd also like to see refs implement the obstruction law to stop talentless big lumps of defenders shepherding a ball out for a goalkick by holding off an opponent for a dozen yards but without actually touching the ball as it trundles out of play. This invariably results in a goalkick or a free kick to the defender as the attacker tries to keep the ball in play. Make players play football in a difficult position rather than reward players for illegally holding off others.

Just got a flashback to the bad old days when the goalie would pass it to the defender who'd pass it back and the goalie would pick the ball back up and repeat for next 4-5:minutes all legally.
So irritating that was.

About the clock stopping issue, another flashback to when I worked casual with Rock steady in the early noughties.

I was offered a shift at the European Grid iron league ( name might be wrong)

Was the Scottish Claymores ( mind them?)
Anyway Anerican football is made up of 4 ¼s of 15 minutes with a 12 minute half time interval plus each side gets a couple of time outs.

So I accepted the shift thinking, well the game is an hour long so it wont be any longer than a fitba shift.
Wrong , begeezuz.
The clock stops every other minute, either cos it goes out of play, or its touched down somewhere on the field, time outs, half time.

Fn game lasted about 2½ hours and hampden was full of waens with fog horns, think I lost a part of my soul that day and never did another European Grid Iron or whatever it was called again.

Got hame about 5 hours later with tinnitus tae boot 🤬

Just got a flashback to the bad old days when the goalie would pass it to the defender who'd pass it back and the goalie would pick the ball back up and repeat for next 4-5:minutes all legally.
So irritating that was.

About the clock stopping issue, another flashback to when I worked casual with Rock steady in the early noughties.

I was offered a shift at the European Grid iron league ( name might be wrong)

Was the Scottish Claymores ( mind them?)
Anyway Anerican football is made up of 4 ¼s of 15 minutes with a 12 minute half time interval plus each side gets a couple of time outs.

So I accepted the shift thinking, well the game is an hour long so it wont be any longer than a fitba shift.
Wrong , begeezuz.
The clock stops every other minute, either cos it goes out of play, or its touched down somewhere on the field, time outs, half time.

Fn game lasted about 2½ hours and hampden was full of waens with fog horns, think I lost a part of my soul that day and never did another European Grid Iron or whatever it was called again.

Got hame about 5 hours later with tinnitus tae boot 🤬
I did play American Football so know exactly how long a game lasts! :LOL: 🏈

Also, I think that penalties should be changed. The fact that football is a sport where goals are relatively rare events that the punishment for often minor offences results in the award of a penalty that has such a massive impact on the result of the match.

Personally I would give penalties for professional fouls (irrespective as to where the offence takes place - the player may be scythed down on the halfway line to stop a good attempt on goal), fouls to stop clear goal-scoring chances and violent conduct. Otherwise I'd award a direct free kick (all free kicks should be direct - another change I've just thought of) where the offence took place or ten yards back from the goal line with a restriction of say 6 defenders between the ball and the goal.

If someone commits an offence that stops a certain goal (deliberately punching off the line or wiping out a player as he has a tap-in) then I'd award a goal without the need for a penalty (similar to a penalty try in rugby for anyone who watches egg chasing).

This is an old suggestion but I'll put it up regarding penalties.

The NHL's penalty system is something I like.
The player starts with the ball on the halfway line, keeper starts on his line and the attacker has 15 seconds or so to try and beat the keeper and score.

This might even have been trialled before and would add to the skillset required for scoring instead of a shot from 12 yards .

Or mixing things up a bit , penalties must be taken by the goalie or a defender.......or , maybe no 😳

This thread , the result of many other threads along similar lines wouldnt be here if we had honest refereeing.
Nae laughing at the back.

How about some bloody impartial referees?
Tall order in this wee country klub I know.
Still , for far too long we've been subjected to the same old same old cleek.
Hugh Dallas son , wtf happened tae him anyway?

The country has to start offering a pathway to the SPFL and championship for young referees much like Celtic try to do with our younger players, a route to the first team or squad.

We have a situation where we have 6 games per matchday and yet we see Gollum, walsh, beaton every other week.

There are other SPFL referees who arent getting any experience because of this klub cleek

SPFL Referees List:

Nick Walsh: 10 games
Kevin Clancy: 10 games
John Beaton: 9 games
Willie Collum: 8 games
David Dickinson: 7 games
Craig Napier: 7 games
Don Robertson: 6 games
Euan Anderson: 6 games
David Munro: 6 games
Steven McLean: 5 games
Colin Steven: 5 games
Grant Irvine: 5 games
Alan Muir: 4 games
Chris Graham: 3 games
Matthew McDermid: 3 games
Graham Grainger: 2 games

I'm not saying the guys at the bottom are any better but we'll never know until we give them a chance.
Its hardly as if UEFA or FIFA are battering the door down for Scottish referees , the opposite if anything , boarding that door up.
This must change.

Sin bins, 10 mins for a yellow card, 2nd yellow as is, Red card as is.

And to stop the bunch up in the middle , you cant be offside if the the ball is played from your own half, similar to the no offside from a bye kick.

And with VAR in mind one appeal per half from the coaches/manager, win or lose the appeal.

Was just thinking about sin bins , and the VAR challenge , one per half each team isntva bad idea 50.

Works well in tennis largely though some players have been known to abuse it because Nadal or Djokovic has been running them ragged they'll challenge an out call even if it went out the stadium lol just to catch a breath.
Good one

Inside a full atmospheric stadium, be it 10 or 60,000 supporters.
When VAR stops play, supporters are left in the dark as to what's going on apart from a scoreboard notice , " potential penalty " or " potential red card check".

This is not good enough, a lot of money is changing hands punters to clubs and supporters must be prioritised for what's going on with VAR other than a check on something.

Those back at mount florida should be on the big screen inside the stadium and we should get to see the same as they do , all the angles they see to make their decision.

That we're just told this is the decision isnt good enough , it takes supporter participation out of the game.

If we can hear a mic'd up referee at 70,000 capacity murrayfield then we should have the same accountability at Dingwall or Spagettihad.

Simple rule change

open results on who are Masonic refs and deny them games at the masonic temple and therefore against Celtic who the masonic temple team most wants to finish above through hook or crook.

which will result imo not enough refs to cover games they signed up to ref, whch should result imo in refs from outside the masonic influence no longer taking special oath instructions from the grandmaster since its sport supposedly

might end up having no refs for any games across europe, could be they all take instructions from the grandmaster on who should be getting extra help.

a headset for managers of both teams to listen to the chat between refs in real time.

Last edited:
Inside a full atmospheric stadium, be it 10 or 60,000 supporters.
When VAR stops play, supporters are left in the dark as to what's going on apart from a scoreboard notice , " potential penalty " or " potential red card check".

This is not good enough, a lot of money is changing hands punters to clubs and supporters must be prioritised for what's going on with VAR other than a check on something.

Those back at mount florida should be on the big screen inside the stadium and we should get to see the same as they do , all the angles they see to make their decision.

That we're just told this is the decision isnt good enough , it takes supporter participation out of the game.

If we can hear a mic'd up referee at 70,000 capacity murrayfield then we should have the same accountability at Dingwall or Spagettihad.
Exactly - get the replays on big screens for everyone to see and allow fans (at least at home anyway) to hear the discussions between the 3 refs gathered together on the pitch and the VAR ref and his deputy. It should be quicker too as the VAR ref can get the onfield officials involved much quicker and the ref doesn't have to run to the side to look at a tv to confirm what the VAR ref has just spent the last 3-4 minutes deciding on.

That way we all understand why they are coming to a decision even if we do not particularly like or even agree with it. As you say, this works really well in rugby and even adds to the drama rather than take away from it.

Back