SFA banning the ' heading of the football '

Winter

The SFA are issuing guidelines that will " effectively ban the heading of the football in the days before and after matchdays" , as well as recommendations that " training exercises that involve heading the football be limited to once per week".

This is a very forward thinking idea and is no doubt welcomed by many as something that's years overdue.

How will it be implemented though?

That's the tricky part in this.

Todays modern footballers are all instinctively attuned to how to play the game and that very much includes the heading of the ball, especially in defence and attack.
Will the SFAs guidelines be on a ' self regulatory framework ' where clubs enforce this themselves?

Given the overwhelming evidence against heading the football it's clear something like this is essential for the health and safety of players.
I also believe it will take more than guidelines and recommendations for it to work.

A £6 million defender like Cameron Carter Vickers is not going to refuse to header the ball away from danger when hes playing in front of 60,000 supporters at Celtic Park, neither will an upcoming academy player trying to break into the Hamilton first team.

Implementing this at the younger age group is of course the way to go.
Perhaps in time , there could be a change to the laws of the game that makes it illegal for a player to head the ball more than once per week/once per game/ or some collective team count for the month?

A club may only have 'X' amount of headers per month?

This is where a good idea runs into problems.
How to implement something that must be implemented?

Whilst I've no doubts that this will be a good thing, the monitoring of its guidelines and recommendations will prove tougher for the SFA to oversee than they might have imagined.
Could it lead to the complete disappearance of heading the football during a game in the future?
Perhaps, or perhaps certain areas of the pitch no headers are allowed.

Headed goals are a thing of beauty when executed properly and the footballs are lighter these days but the medical evidence is still overwhelmingly against heading the ball repetitively.

These guidelines will take time to get a foothold in the game.
It may be todays children who are the ones that are able to implement it better having grown up with the game that perhaps penalises a header as it does a handball and so it might not be so instinctive.

It must be welcomed but there's many things that require ironing out with these guidelines before we see it as part of the beautiful game.

Last edited:
To see so many of, not only Scottish but players worldwide suffer from debilitating conditions through heading a football througout their careers and lifetimes it's clear something must be done to ensure it doesn't continue to happen.

Yesteryear, there was no such thing as health and safety and the magic sponge or a blast of Ralgex fixed all from a cauliflower ear to a dislocated finger.

So many have suffered from that approach it must change and moves are underway.
It should really have been acted upon years ago.

I'm almost 50 and the old football bladders especially but some mitres too, the dreaded Mitre 5 that I played with at schools level weighed ridiculous weights when wet , the mitre 5 was seen as safer , waterproof but get smacked in the face with that at 10.30 am and that certainly woke you up if it didnt knock you out,
but we were advised to meet the ball full throttle, forehead on, not to let it hit you but you thumped it, with everything you had.

The ball i used in the 70s wasnt even as heavy as the ball from the 60s , those were even heavier.
You can see that in videos of games from the 50s-80s era.

A so called piledriver of a shot then with todays ball would send todays ball a mile up the road and then some.
Goalies used to be scared to save a penalty at school if the ball was wet and toe blasted, stinging hands was the least of it.

Everything has to start somewhere and this has to be good for players.

The rules of the game will somehow have to incorporate this into it because the toll is too high.

Any of us ( that would be almost all of us) who played on a wet and windy Saturday morning ( schools league/guilds) in defence and the clearance from the other half was 100feet high in the sky ,
ball soaking wet and headed down towards you, you braced yourself and put all the power you had into meeting that ball " head on" , often with varying results.
I can remember having a thumping sore head and/or neck for hours after a game on a miserable morning aged 8-12 because I failed to meet it " head on" despite best efforts,
often enough I did meet it " head on". Though thinking back now about it?
Well over the years , ( growing up)
I've been hit with a baseball bat in a skirmish and that has nothing on heading a wet heavy bladder.

That's how we played and we just got on with it, theres no need for that now.
The game must evolve.
Better late than never.
For the players and families.

Last edited:
The modern balls are like beach balls, hit them with any force & they wonder all over the place, hence goalkeepers can't take the risk to hold onto the ball incase they fumble it, a skill that told the difference between a great keeper and a stopper.
In the good old days when you hit a MITRE 5 it went straight and fast.
Its a totally different sport now when its not about winning but not to lose.
Not to mention the corruption of FIFA, and closer to home when they changed the Champions of each country to top 4 of 5 of the riches leagues,
To please the rich teams at the expense of teams like us, which only widens the gape further.
Its to late now for me to chance my life long love of Celtic but if I knew how corrupt football would become, I might of chosen another interest.

The modern balls are like beach balls, hit them with any force & they wonder all over the place, hence goalkeepers can't take the risk to hold onto the ball incase they fumble it, a skill that told the difference between a great keeper and a stopper.
In the good old days when you hit a MITRE 5 it went straight and fast.
Its a totally different sport now when its not about winning but not to lose.
Not to mention the corruption of FIFA, and closer to home when they changed the Champions of each country to top 4 of 5 of the riches leagues,
To please the rich teams at the expense of teams like us, which only widens the gape further.
Its to late now for me to chance my life long love of Celtic but if I knew how corrupt football would become, I might of chosen another interest.
That wee creep Infantino, cannot stand this guy , oozes snake oil.
Hes had long enough , there should be a limit on who can be the president of FIFA.

Watching the < insert chosen obscenity> sitting at every ko game like the cat that's got the cream.
Pops my blood vessels.

Sitting there like this was me who made all this possible ( nothing to be proud of even if it were true).

He was supposed to be the new , transparent and accountable blah blah face of FIFA.
Hes just a younger Blatter who's just as thick as Platini.

If England or the UK want to host a world cup they should take a leaf out of the Americans book , freeze their cash when it goes through London pending a 12year investigation.

Not bribes these days its sanctions and FIFA will yield, corrupt as it ever was.
Though I digress 😅

Aye the Mitre 5 was seen as a breakthrough football.
In many ways it was, waterproof and basketball- like but for football.

Can remember making a few blocks on a Saturday morning, skelp off the thigh, your leg would be bright red for a week .

Was perhaps the beginning of the footballs evolution.
You could really send that ball travelling at speed.

That wee creep Infantino, cannot stand this guy , oozes snake oil.
Hes had long enough , there should be a limit on who can be the president of FIFA.

Watching the < insert chosen obscenity> sitting at every ko game like the cat that's got the cream.
Pops my blood vessels.

Sitting there like this was me who made all this possible ( nothing to be proud of even if it were true).

He was supposed to be the new , transparent and accountable blah blah face of FIFA.
Hes just a younger Blatter who's just as thick as Platini.

If England or the UK want to host a world cup they should take a leaf out of the Americans book , freeze their cash when it goes through London pending a 12year investigation.

Not bribes these days its sanctions and FIFA will yield, corrupt as it ever was.
Though I digress 😅

Aye the Mitre 5 was seen as a breakthrough football.
In many ways it was, waterproof and basketball- like but for football.

Can remember making a few blocks on a Saturday morning, skelp off the thigh, your leg would be bright red for a week .

Was perhaps the beginning of the footballs evolution.
You could really send that ball travelling at speed.
Going back to a further memory that still haunts me to this day.
When the big boys let you play to make up the numbers,
They would play with the old leather (dubbin rubbed) balls with a bladder and the cock bent over and (supposedly) tucked in, tightened up with a leather lace.
When that descended from the rain clouds and you couldn't get out of the way, and to stupid to accept being called a coward, a quick prayer that the cock bit didn't do any more brain damage than already there from previous games.

When I was at secondary school during dinnertime we were only allowed to play football in the playground with a tennis ball,no idea why anyway one day someone launces a half brick miles into the air one guy screams "MA BAW"leaps above everyone else and heads the half brick,(it was a sore one) ,football banned from the playground for some unknown reason

When I was at secondary school during dinnertime we were only allowed to play football in the playground with a tennis ball,no idea why anyway one day someone launces a half brick miles into the air one guy screams "MA BAW"leaps above everyone else and heads the half brick,(it was a sore one) ,football banned from the playground for some unknown reason
Ooft ya tsssss, fractured skull hunner percent.
As somebody who was skelped with a half brick lucky throw donkeys ago fighting on glesga green bridge I can confirm half bricks will indeed fracture the skull.

I was actually lucky , as nuts as that sounds, doactur said another centimetre deeper I'd have had brain damage.

Gangs are bad nyeah!

Many years ago I walked into the locker/drying room at work where two of the guys were playing heady wi a practice golf ball you know the wee plastic ones wi holes in them,one of them went “Mick“ and tossed the ball in my direction which I dived at and got an awful thud on ma napper as I connected wi the ball,the cunt had threw a real golf ball at me I wis standing there holding ma head and those two fuckers were falling about the place pissing themselves 😂so if I forget ma kids names in a few years I know whose getting the blame

Many years ago I walked into the locker/drying room at work where two of the guys were playing heady wi a practice golf ball you know the wee plastic ones wi holes in them,one of them went “Mick“ and tossed the ball in my direction which I dived at and got an awful thud on ma napper as I connected wi the ball,the cunt had threw a real golf ball at me I wis standing there holding ma head and those two fuckers were falling about the place pissing themselves 😂so if I forget ma kids names in a few years I know whose getting the blame
Mind as waens used to get a burst bladder , fill it with stones and wait til some guy came round the corner " At ba' mate?" 😆😆 sick af man 😆😆

Back