Should Betting Sites be banned from sponsoring Fitba Taps?

Ban all sponsorship by Gambling Companies

• Yes

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I dont have a problem its just a bit of fun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a part of the Desmond family, keep spending.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Who cares as long as we beat Sevco.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Brimcbhoy

Gambling is a massive problem today. I have to admit, its not for me. I'm not a gambler, I fucking hate losing and the sting of the loss has always stayed longer than the thrill of the win. In monetary terms that is.
Its probably the only vice I don't have, and I think it's worse. Its insatiable and a destroyer of lives imho.
We are sponsored by Dafabet and most Teams are by one Company or another. Its all around the grounds, its on adverts during breaks, and they justify it by adding at the end. When the fun stops, STOP.
Well thats easy to say if you're not an addict, try saying that to a junkie.
So, as we're in a fitba wilderness, an all going 'cold turkey' from Scottish fitba. I thought we might have a wee bit of a POLL on the moral rights and wrongs of promoting a life destroying addiction on our Hoops as we were founded to feed the poor irish community who, no doubt, had problems with gambling even back then.

The question is this.. who are we?

Last edited:
I've long longed for the day to return when nothing disgraced the hoops, car companies, windae wans, watered down beer ones, infact any company at all, but thats obviously for my own selfish reasons... I myself only do the odd lottery now and again, I haven't bet a horse or dug in many a year and anyone who's seen my attempts at predicting fitba on our wee MD predictor comp every season will understand why I dont do coupons either... Probably like most I've done them all in the past, but it's easy 20 yrs since I regularly gambled, I'm lucky I suppose, I never had "the bug"and never felt any great elation in
winning either, and just drifted away from
it... So a yes for me... But on the grounds of I hate seeing adverts on our hoops.

I voted no, but obviously this isn't a simple issue, so deserves more than a simple answer.
Gambling has been a problem for longer than football has been around. I gamble on line, and my habbit/hobby costs me between £5 and £10 per day over a 4/5 week period, depending on how much I get back.

Some times I get back more than I've put on, but I accept that those occasions will be rare. So what I have is a hobby that sometimes makes a contribution towards it's cost, and there aren't many hobbies that do that.

However I realise that not everbody can only gamble a certain amount and then walk away. Sometimes even I spend more than I intend to, especially if I've had a few beers.

There are people out there that can help with gambling addiction, but probably not enough of them.

So I would say take the money but use some of it to fund gambling awareness and help with addiction.

That may seem hypocritical, but gambling problems aren't going to go away because there's no advertising on shirts.

So I think us being sponsored by a betting firm makes us just a small part of the problem.

But if we reinvest some of that money to help gambling addicts, we could be a bigger part of the solution.

I get why people vote no, as AJ and Lubo have replied. For me it’s another industry were profits outweigh the social impact. Gambling, alcohol, tobacco all ruin lives and clubs and community organisations should not accept support or essentially endorse these industries.

But what do I know, I’m a 20/day, pints as often as possible, bet credit using madman!

If you think you're going to get rich, then you probably also think rangers have won 55 titles.
I just checked my history on Paddy Power. Last year from 1st Jan to 31st Dec I punted £6,762 and got returns of £5,666.
Those last 3 digits might be trying to tell me something.
So it actually cost me £3 per day. A pint down here costs £5.50-£6.50, so if I hadn't blown so much money on shit horses I could have had an extra half pint per day.
I could even have saved them up for the week and went on a three and a half pint bender.

Gambling is a bit like knives and guns, it's not the "thing" that's the problem, it's the way people use it.

However for every sensible gambler, there's probably a hundred who are addicted, so I realise there's a lot of people who need help and I think all companies who make money from gambling including shirt sponsorship should contribute to providing that help.

I voted No because I believe in freedom rather than censorship.
Gambling in MODERATION is not a problem.
We should not make rules to avoid harm to a few at the expense of the majority

I voted No because I believe in freedom rather than censorship.
Gambling in MODERATION is not a problem.
We should not make rules to avoid harm to a few at the expense of the majority
If you reverse your position fis, you’re happy with the exploitation of the many for the benefit of the few.
Freedom only works if everyone is free and the proliferation of profit focused organisations at the expense of even one family is too high a price. In truth it’s millions of families 💚🙁

I've seen guys lose everything to the bookies but I still believe in treating adults as adults, if you're that susceptible that advertisement whether directly or indirectly, influences your actual actions then its probably yourself to blame, no point blaming sum adverts. Gotta be responsible for your own actions.

Oh aye, and keeping fags behind wee drawers is a great idea an aw 🤪

I've seen guys lose everything to the bookies but I still believe in treating adults as adults, if you're that susceptible that advertisement whether directly or indirectly, influences your actual actions then its probably yourself to blame, no point blaming sum adverts. Gotta be responsible for your own actions.

Oh aye, and keeping fags behind wee drawers is a great idea an aw 🤪
It’s not about advertising. We all know what we can and can’t do, legally. The point is, for me, if these industries; gambling, tobacco, booze are accepted as being absolutely shite and purely about profit not people, then why the fuck would any reasonable person/organisation get in tow with them.

I didn't vote on this, not that I don't have my thoughts on it, I absolutely do. I've seen at first hand the wreckage of someone's life due to gambling. I've lost a brother to COPD, and I'm well down the road to losing another one: he can't even leave the house due to being incapacitated.
I've lost a sister to alcoholism. I suppose you'd think it would be an automatic yes from someone like me, and in truth, I can definitely see the argument. However, I'm not so sure it's as black and white as it seems.
In a perfect world, there wouldn't even be a need for discussion; however, we don't live in a perfect world.

I didn't vote on this, not that I don't have my thoughts on it, I absolutely do. I've seen at first hand the wreckage of someone's life due to gambling. I've lost a brother to COPD, and I'm well down the road to losing another one: he can't even leave the house due to being incapacitated.
I've lost a sister to alcoholism. I suppose you'd think it would be an automatic yes from someone like me, and in truth, I can definitely see the argument. However, I'm not so sure it's as black and white as it seems.
In a perfect world, there wouldn't even be a need for discussion; however, we don't live in a perfect world.
Sad story Frank, and yes, nothing is black and white in this life, as we learn as we get older.
I've stood next to a mate in the boozer and watched him put £200 in the bandit to try and win a hundred jackpot and thought, why? I also had an ex who worked in a bookies and she'd tell me of blokes who would come in on giro day, as we used to call it, an blow the lot in an afternoon.
So for some it's their thing, we've all got something and nobodies perfect, certainly not me. I've bet before course I have, even won a few times which is a good feeling but when I've lost I always think what else I could have spent the money on, maybe I'm just a tight bassa.

Sad story Frank, and yes, nothing is black and white in this life, as we learn as we get older.
I've stood next to a mate in the boozer and watched him put £200 in the bandit to try and win a hundred jackpot and thought, why? I also had an ex who worked in a bookies and she'd tell me of blokes who would come in on giro day, as we used to call it, an blow the lot in an afternoon.
So for some it's their thing, we've all got something and nobodies perfect, certainly not me. I've bet before course I have, even won a few times which is a good feeling but when I've lost I always think what else I could have spent the money on, maybe I'm just a tight bassa.
Lookin' at my post again, maybe I've drifted a bit from your poll, Brim; I was just trying to make the point that, ultimately, we all make choices, and those choices can have consequences. That could be said for any kind of addiction, I guess.

Members online

Back