Smooth vs. Smart vs. Sly vs. All of us Suckers

Spherical Planet

I know that there are likely 101 threads concerning the internal politics of Celtic and I also know that I'm likely flogging a dead horse by throwing this one out there, but as I have been an infrequent flyer recently and mainly because I'm a lazy bastart who can't be motivated to find the appropriate thread to comment upon, I'm just going to start this one and hope it gets the point across.

Like pretty much everyone who supports Celtic, I'm all parts confused, all parts frustrated, all parts angry and all parts dissatisfied with how the Club has negotiated the last two transfer windows. I'm hopeful that young lads like Holm, Yang and Nawrocki are going to have an impact in future, but Palma continuously flatters to deceive, Lagerbielke looks a bit like Bambi on ice whilst the headlights are on him and a couple of others are so far off the radar that I can't even remember what their feckin names are!!!

What I'm absolutely certain of is, is that there is no way on God's green and white Earth did Buck have an active involvement in the pursuit of these players.

Does that absolve him of blame? No feckin way.....he knew exactly what he was getting himself into and now I'm going to try and get to the point (if there is one) of this thread:

I'm pretty sure that all of us who haven't had the privilege of being self-employed or independently wealthy have all had to deal with bosses who believe themselves to be the smartest person in any room. It ain't even necessarily the case that they aren't clever in some kind of way, it's just the fact that they are nowhere near as intelligent as they believe themselves to be.

Buck is example no.1 for the purpose of this thread, he's definitely a smooth mo'fo....he has an easy charm on first impression that is highlighted by that relentless tan and those domestos teeth. He's smart enough too.....speaks well, sounds relatively well-informed and has a bit of humour about him, but just scrape a wee bit beneath that bronzed surface and you realise that there ain't a great deal of substance to what he’s saying and it's often a repeated, re-heated, rehashed series of copy and paste soundbites that we've all heard on an endless loop before.

Buck is smart, but you'd have to fancy your chances in a pub debate with him, because he is nowhere remotely close to being as smart as his ego thinks he is and that's why example number two uses him as a sockpuppet to wipe the floor with.

Example number two is the noose around all of our collective necks, Peter feckin Lawwell.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lawwell is an extremely clever old fox with a fascination for manipulation and outright skullfuckinduggery. Pedro believes that skills are transferable too, so he sincerely and honestly believes that his acquired business acumen can easily transition into football and that his 'knowledge' of the markets and trends within it are unsurpassed. He believes he is the puppetmaster, pulling all the strings and controlling all of the narratives. He's a sly one is old Peter......thinks he's innured himself with all of these buffers in place to protect him from challenges and challengers. He can easily softsoap ego-bunnies like Brendan with a few flattering phrases and a significant pay-poke, but even ruthless operators like pistol Pete aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, especially when faced with the third and final example in this thread......all of us suckers.

I don't believe that a club is defined by it's successes or failures. I believe that a club is defined by those who support it. The best example of this can be found in the upstart new club that plays out of the southside. Their whole identity is defined by the hatred and entitlement of those who attached themselves to a long-dead club which consumed itself in an effort to outdo a superior rival which was the antithesis of everything that that horrible institution represented.

What sets us apart from the likes of them is this: we never stopped questioning the ideology and rationale of successive major shareholders in our club. We understood when football became a business. We even understood that we could not sustain ourselves in the new world that that had created. We understood that in some cases, guys like Peter Lawwell were a necessary evil, but we also understand that absolute power absolutely corrupts and that when Dermot gave Lawwell the keys to the kingdom, he wasn't going to have a willing group of subjects who were going to be subservient and meek.

I'm biased of course, but I genuinely believe that Celtic fans are among the most intelligent in football, sure we have our fair share of zoomers, boomers, dingers and pingers, but on a pro rata basis, we have a significant majority that know the score on many subjects. Buck may be smartish and smooth, Peter may be smartish and sleekit, but the fans are mainly smartish and savvy......we've seen this play out before and while a few pots and pans might keep us restrained for a wee bit, we know exactly what is happening and why it is happening. These are going to be a few long months and we may ultimately prevail, I hope for Peter and Buck's sake (along with many others) that we do because things ain't going to be pretty if we effectively make a £60 million sacrifice in the financial stakes.......how's your bank account, Dermot?

Anyways, hope you're all well and AJ......are you a hun? (Only kidding)

I know that there are likely 101 threads concerning the internal politics of Celtic and I also know that I'm likely flogging a dead horse by throwing this one out there, but as I have been an infrequent flyer recently and mainly because I'm a lazy bastart who can't be motivated to find the appropriate thread to comment upon, I'm just going to start this one and hope it gets the point across.

Like pretty much everyone who supports Celtic, I'm all parts confused, all parts frustrated, all parts angry and all parts dissatisfied with how the Club has negotiated the last two transfer windows. I'm hopeful that young lads like Holm, Yang and Nawrocki are going to have an impact in future, but Palma continuously flatters to deceive, Lagerbielke looks a bit like Bambi on ice whilst the headlights are on him and a couple of others are so far off the radar that I can't even remember what their feckin names are!!!

What I'm absolutely certain of is, is that there is no way on God's green and white Earth did Buck have an active involvement in the pursuit of these players.

Does that absolve him of blame? No feckin way.....he knew exactly what he was getting himself into and now I'm going to try and get to the point (if there is one) of this thread:

I'm pretty sure that all of us who haven't had the privilege of being self-employed or independently wealthy have all had to deal with bosses who believe themselves to be the smartest person in any room. It ain't even necessarily the case that they aren't clever in some kind of way, it's just the fact that they are nowhere near as intelligent as they believe themselves to be.

Buck is example no.1 for the purpose of this thread, he's definitely a smooth mo'fo....he has an easy charm on first impression that is highlighted by that relentless tan and those domestos teeth. He's smart enough too.....speaks well, sounds relatively well-informed and has a bit of humour about him, but just scrape a wee bit beneath that bronzed surface and you realise that there ain't a great deal of substance to what he’s saying and it's often a repeated, re-heated, rehashed series of copy and paste soundbites that we've all heard on an endless loop before.

Buck is smart, but you'd have to fancy your chances in a pub debate with him, because he is nowhere remotely close to being as smart as his ego thinks he is and that's why example number two uses him as a sockpuppet to wipe the floor with.

Example number two is the noose around all of our collective necks, Peter feckin Lawwell.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lawwell is an extremely clever old fox with a fascination for manipulation and outright skullfuckinduggery. Pedro believes that skills are transferable too, so he sincerely and honestly believes that his acquired business acumen can easily transition into football and that his 'knowledge' of the markets and trends within it are unsurpassed. He believes he is the puppetmaster, pulling all the strings and controlling all of the narratives. He's a sly one is old Peter......thinks he's innured himself with all of these buffers in place to protect him from challenges and challengers. He can easily softsoap ego-bunnies like Brendan with a few flattering phrases and a significant pay-poke, but even ruthless operators like pistol Pete aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, especially when faced with the third and final example in this thread......all of us suckers.

I don't believe that a club is defined by it's successes or failures. I believe that a club is defined by those who support it. The best example of this can be found in the upstart new club that plays out of the southside. Their whole identity is defined by the hatred and entitlement of those who attached themselves to a long-dead club which consumed itself in an effort to outdo a superior rival which was the antithesis of everything that that horrible institution represented.

What sets us apart from the likes of them is this: we never stopped questioning the ideology and rationale of successive major shareholders in our club. We understood when football became a business. We even understood that we could not sustain ourselves in the new world that that had created. We understood that in some cases, guys like Peter Lawwell were a necessary evil, but we also understand that absolute power absolutely corrupts and that when Dermot gave Lawwell the keys to the kingdom, he wasn't going to have a willing group of subjects who were going to be subservient and meek.

I'm biased of course, but I genuinely believe that Celtic fans are among the most intelligent in football, sure we have our fair share of zoomers, boomers, dingers and pingers, but on a pro rata basis, we have a significant majority that know the score on many subjects. Buck may be smartish and smooth, Peter may be smartish and sleekit, but the fans are mainly smartish and savvy......we've seen this play out before and while a few pots and pans might keep us restrained for a wee bit, we know exactly what is happening and why it is happening. These are going to be a few long months and we may ultimately prevail, I hope for Peter and Buck's sake (along with many others) that we do because things ain't going to be pretty if we effectively make a £60 million sacrifice in the financial stakes.......how's your bank account, Dermot?

Unfortunately you’re 100% correct
It’s hearts in our mouths time - again - Someone needs to grab PL by the scruff of the neck and get him out of Celtic Park asap No wonder Ange left I’m coming to the conclusion that I didn’t want to come to in that this season is going the way of the 10 in a row season
I know we’re at the top of the league but that can quickly change if we play like we did on Saturday
I couldn’t believe what I was watching
So please Celtic pull the socks up and get on with what you’re highly paid to do
As for the board they better get a grip or they’ll go the way if the Kelly’s and Whites

Yip SP, I think yourself and STG have articulated better in a couple of posts than I have in several dozen. The biggest issue I have with these first world problems at Celtic Park is that they are almost entirely self-inflicted.

PL seems to thrive on demonstrating how smart he is and putting people in their place. But unfortunately he only ever seems to intimidate folks within the Celtic organisation and he practically never stands up to people/organisations which clearly do not have our best interests at heart - when there is a genuine need to fight our cause he cowers at the back of the bus along with all of the other simpering cowards at the head of our club.

We should still have enough resources to enjoy an upturn in performance levels to secure another league title (I suspect that we may not win the Cup though). But this will only be achieved if the players roll up their sleeves and start battling in every game. There are too many high quality players going through the motions, too big a drop off in quality when we need to rely on the fringe players and a general lethargy about the club at the moment. They need to buck their ideas up very very quickly.

IMO Sevco are not as shite as so many of our fans think and they are at least backing their manager with new recruits as they gamble on over-taking us to snatch the Premiership and the guaranteed riches of the Champions League. We know that the LRA will provide their favourites with every advantage going. So everyone within our entire organisation must pull up their socks and start earning their fantastic salaries to ensure that we come out on top of a battle that we should have not allowed ourselves to be dragged into, given our large advantage just a few weeks back.

You cannot outsmart fans if they decide they are not buying their next season books. People can fool other people once they have parted with their money it is another thing to get them to part with it a second time if that person feels their is no value been given with what they are paying for.
Supporters are entitled to be entertained in this industry , or at least see steps been taking to grow and reap benefits in improvements and reaching a higher caliber of professionalism that satisfies and influences the buying behavior of the support, and that is what all the board need to ensure if they want the revenues to keep coming.
You cannot keep taking without the support receiving something back in return and that something is simple ; as the clubs wealth improves, there has to be improvements shown to show that the people who come will get results in the way they expect to see, not always winning on the park but seeing the club progress and reaching higher levels through learning and experiencing the highs and lows against quality and in most occasions superior and sometimes more organised styles than we get domestically. We get the most, often than not, the lows outwith domestic football and that is the issue, we don't seem to address or improve upon.

Celtic also should never reach rebuild stage ever, Celtic for all it has been with us only has ever been focused on one aim, to play with a structure and a style that has proven through history gets results or at least satisfies the fan and increases our portfolio in the game, fast forward, direct football with all involved contributing 100 per cent and been vital cogs to the function of the aim. Backed by a buoyant fan base giving 100% support worldwide, managers and players who arrive should be ideally suited, and scouted to ensure they are what is required to keep the wheels turning.

How many for example of the Lions would have walked into any team outwith the domestic clubs. yet they were feared all over Europe as the club to avoid, why was this? I think it is fairly obvious, they all had the same ambitions and gave the same percentages in the games, they were winners and achieved it by been one in the same, and the run of nine in a row was achieved by ensuring the next man in as the years and titles kept coming was ready and was of the caliber the club and management demanded before giving the jersey.
Anyhow we are were we are .

1706527357694.jpeg

You cannot outsmart fans if they decide they are not buying their next season books. People can fool other people once they have parted with their money it is another thing to get them to part with it a second time if that person feels their is no value been given with what they are paying for.
Supporters are entitled to be entertained in this industry , or at least see steps been taking to grow and reap benefits in improvements and reaching a higher caliber of professionalism that satisfies and influences the buying behavior of the support, and that is what all the board need to ensure if they want the revenues to keep coming.
You cannot keep taking without the support receiving something back in return and that something is simple ; as the clubs wealth improves, there has to be improvements shown to show that the people who come will get results in the way they expect to see, not always winning on the park but seeing the club progress and reaching higher levels through learning and experiencing the highs and lows against quality and in most occasions superior and sometimes more organised styles than we get domestically. We get the most, often than not, the lows outwith domestic football and that is the issue, we don't seem to address or improve upon.

Celtic also should never reach rebuild stage ever, Celtic for all it has been with us only has ever been focused on one aim, to play with a structure and a style that has proven through history gets results or at least satisfies the fan and increases our portfolio in the game, fast forward, direct football with all involved contributing 100 per cent and been vital cogs to the function of the aim. Backed by a buoyant fan base giving 100% support worldwide, managers and players who arrive should be ideally suited, and scouted to ensure they are what is required to keep the wheels turning.

How many for example of the Lions would have walked into any team outwith the domestic clubs. yet they were feared all over Europe as the club to avoid, why was this? I think it is fairly obvious, they all had the same ambitions and gave the same percentages in the games, they were winners and achieved it by been one in the same, and the run of nine in a row was achieved by ensuring the next man in as the years and titles kept coming was ready and was of the caliber the club and management demanded before giving the jersey.
Anyhow we are were we are .

View attachment 24956
I don't disagree with what you say, Boab, except for the season books. I know people who cannot even get on the waiting list, not alone acquire a season book. Any books given up by disgruntled supporters, will quickly be snapped up. And then the waiting list updated. And the show rolls on, as determined by the board. The day of any major supporter influence is gone. Leaving aside the arguments on the Green Brigade issue, the board's stance, and in my opinion success, shows this. That is my opinion anyway.

I don't disagree with what you say, Boab, except for the season books. I know people who cannot even get on the waiting list, not alone acquire a season book. Any books given up by disgruntled supporters, will quickly be snapped up. And then the waiting list updated. And the show rolls on, as determined by the board. The day of any major supporter influence is gone. Leaving aside the arguments on the Green Brigade issue, the board's stance, and in my opinion success, shows this. That is my opinion anyway.
"Any books given up by disgruntled supporters, will quickly be snapped up"
Suppose the old monetary system whereby you paid at the gate was an important feature of fan power in the day.

100% bullseye, POD. It' s called a captive market. ...And they know that for sure.

Aye, if I take of my green & white tinted glasses the next 4 mths is gonnie be squeaky bum time, but the last few days of the transfer window could change that a few loan signings, mibbie🤔

As for the mob over the water , they're hinging oan our coat takes trying tae nick it, hopefully they'll get a wee run in the Europa & drop points in the Lge.

As for Buck & the board, Pedro's calling the shots, while doing what Desmond wants.

As fans we can do, what we do best support the team, I've noticed over the past few games that some fans are to quick too jump on the team when things are not going well.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇮🇪☘️HERE WE GO 3 IN A ROW☘️🇮🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

60 million carrot isnt quite what it seems though.
CL might give you more than EL but its not a 60 million drop, and if you get a good run in it it may not even be very much.

So the 60 million carrot sounds real but in reality after all bonuses paid to players and costs to run the games are taken into account it may not be significant income boost if you get EL and past it to KO games.

I agree club can do better but risks are getting much higher that next players bought will not be as good as last players sold, especially in bubble market with serious political risks of bubble market imploding.

having no debt is most important if market black swans, having cash in bank if market black swans means you actually have assets.

Not saying market will black swan nose dive, but imagine you spend 70 million and still didnt improve team and were left with massive wagebill and game was reset.

As much as I detest Lawell for many personal reasons
I dont blame him for the market bubble.
if danillo is worth 40 k per week and costs 6 million
and jota worth 10m per year and costs 25 million

its no easy task to find better players who actually worth it.

world appears to be badly broken
football is broken much worse and the people who can fix it are in on the current brokenness and well that may well include the lawell types

next dude will be same imo
or worse tell you what you want to hear for short period then magical chairs to next guy who tells you what you want to hear ...

Back